Platform pedal recommendation, please

Old October 4th 13, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default Platform pedal recommendation, please

Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

Thanks.
BC
plat-footed
Old October 4th 13, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

BCDrums wrote:
:Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

:I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

oes anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

I like MKS sylvan touring pedals. MkS have a bunch of suitable
pedals. Look at the catalog...

--
sig 22
Old October 4th 13, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 10/4/2013 8:37 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
BCDrums wrote:
:Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

:I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

oes anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

I like MKS sylvan touring pedals. MkS have a bunch of suitable
pedals. Look at the catalog...

The MKS rubber-block pedals are nice because you can ride barefoot

At least until your feet get sunburned anyway. :\
Old October 4th 13, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 4, 2013 2:30:18 PM UTC+1, BCDrums wrote:
Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

Thanks.

BC

plat-footed

VP 191 rubber block pedals, silk-smooth sealed bearings, available under some fancy brand names for serious money, fitted to many of the bikes for the Euro-elite. But they're a badly-kept secret, and if you get them under Victor Pedals own brand, the best bargain in cycling. This is what they look like: http://www.absolutbikes.de/magento/p..._store=default Here are some currently on ebay in the States for $27 including carriage: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VP-Pedals-VP...item1c30b83dd1 I don't actually know if that is a good price, as mine have all come as standard equipment on bikes or, in one case, as a gift from Trek when I complained about the quality of the standard pedals on an expensive bike, so I don't know precisely what they should cost.

Andre Jute
Old October 4th 13, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/4/2013 8:30 AM, BCDrums wrote:
Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

Basic Redline one piece aluminum pedal, CrMo spindle about
$20~25. Sealed cartridge bearing models up from there.

Get something with a one piece aluminum body, avoid screws
and rivets which self-disassemble in use.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 4th 13, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Friday, October 4, 2013 6:30:18 AM UTC-7, BCDrums wrote:
Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

I put MKS plastic pedals on my jump 'n' ride "wheelie" bike. Not
sure exactly what model - they were pulled off a ~mid-80's Fuji
Sundance MTB (the whole *bike* was $40 :-)

I do *love* these pedals 'cause I can even ride barefoot on them.

Old October 4th 13, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

BCDrums wrote:
Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking
about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a
concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber
soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good,
but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

Thanks.
BC
plat-footed

MKS Sylvan Touring Pedals
http://smartbikeparts.com/search_details.php?itm=PD4010
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=19660
They are my pedal of choice on several bicycles.
They meet your sub-$40 target though there will be postage unless an LBS has
them or can order them.
Made in Japan.
Loose cup and cone ball bearings, Cr/Mo steel spindle. Can be rebuilt
eventually with new 5/32 (?) balls.
Screw on aluminium dust cap. Universal has their dust cap spanner, $3.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=52689
Otherwise use channel lock pliers and care. If your wreck the original dust
cap, spares are available.
Identical both sides of platform which is 94mm long and 63mm wide. That's a
longer platform than many pedals. Serrated cage is quite grippy but not so
much that they wreck shoes. If you need more grip, the serrations can be
deepened a bit with a small round file. If you need more grip than that you
would be looking for BMX flats with replaceable studs.
PH

Old October 5th 13, 12:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

we keep these in stock

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...cycle+pedal s

regrease with Finish Line silicone, grind out a two socket tool to loosen and tighten nuts to spec...

I run size 15 feet so on muh road bike....I dismount dismount...the jaws are covered with two shaped plywood surfaces bolted to n coated with dayglo yellow rusto

scrape scrape
Old October 5th 13, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, October 4, 2013 1:04:26 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/4/2013 8:30 AM, BCDrums wrote:

Converting a mountain bike into a jump-on-'n'-ride. I'm thinking about double-sided, non-clipless, with no toe clips, and maybe a concave profile. All of the shoes I'd wear on this bike have rubber soles, either hard or softer. Wide platform is good. Sub-$40 is good, but would spend more if necessary.

I have seen the Ergons, which look good but are too pricey at $60-80.

Does anyone have a pedal he/she loves?

Basic Redline one piece aluminum pedal, CrMo spindle about

$20~25. Sealed cartridge bearing models up from there.

Get something with a one piece aluminum body, avoid screws

and rivets which self-disassemble in use.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

.. . . . . . . . _}

when rivets fail, bearings are shot....cansville !

Old October 5th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

life time frame.....

ahhhhh see Images: bear trap bicycle pedals

incroyable depth

n only one bear...so far... prob Russian maybe THE Republic of ?

HERE'S a spin off

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-conte...01-537x402.jpg

inexpensive bear traps...and what other right ? ....last 2500 miles tops with regreasing maybe a bearing change maybe not

Cone areas disingrate.

whaddya want for $12 in February ? buy 2 sets.

hellua lot easier than spending $40 n going 2500 in style.

one maybe...as price goes up weight goes down... is due to the large available $$$ source of screwball wannbe racers group spending more for less...as price goes up, weight goes down and size decreases to the point where you can put your little footy daintily almost on your $40 wannabe racers pedal in refined Budweiser