Airless bicycle tubes?

Old July 20th 04, 03:58 AM
Mpoconnor7

Default Airless bicycle tubes?

I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get airless
tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody recommend a good
brand of airless rubber tube inserts, or a website that sells them? Any advice
would be appreciated.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".
Old July 20th 04, 05:00 AM
Bernie

Mpoconnor7 wrote:

I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get airless
tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody recommend a good
brand of airless rubber tube inserts, or a website that sells them? Any advice
would be appreciated.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Airless bicycle tubes ARE flats. Around here they are anyway.

Solid tires do exist, but aren't very popular. The air in your tires is
an important part of the lively ride.

Bernie

Old July 20th 04, 05:12 AM
bfd

"Bernie" wrote in message
Mpoconnor7 wrote:

I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get

airless
tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody recommend a

good
brand of airless rubber tube inserts, or a website that sells them? Any

advice
would be appreciated.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Airless bicycle tubes ARE flats. Around here they are anyway.

Solid tires do exist, but aren't very popular. The air in your tires is
an important part of the lively ride.

Agree, he needs to read Sheldon Brown's excellent article on tires:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless

Old July 20th 04, 05:52 AM
Bernie

bfd wrote:

"Bernie" wrote in message

Mpoconnor7 wrote:

I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get

airless

tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody recommend a

good

brand of airless rubber tube inserts, or a website that sells them? Any

advice

would be appreciated.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

"The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong"
James Mason from the movie "Heaven Can Wait".

Airless bicycle tubes ARE flats. Around here they are anyway.

Solid tires do exist, but aren't very popular. The air in your tires is
an important part of the lively ride.

Agree, he needs to read Sheldon Brown's excellent article on tires:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless

Thanks for your thoughtful and positive post. I was being flippant
about flats. Everything I've read about solid bike tires (airless) was
not good. The light responsive feel of pneumatic tires hasn't been
replaced by anything yet. Automobile drivers should be thankful for
this great bicycle invention.
Best, Bernie

Old July 20th 04, 11:17 PM
Mpoconnor7

I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get
airless tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody
recommend a good brand of airless rubber tube inserts

No such thing.

I had airless bike tubes when I was in college, and rode them about 100 miles a
week with no problems. I remember the worst thing about them was putting them
on the wheel then getting the tire on over the airless tube; it took me about
four hours to do both tires. I have taken up bicycling for the first time
since college, and am willing to sacrifice comfort of ride in exchange for
never having to worry about another flat and pushing a bike 5 or 6 miles to my
house.

And BTW, I was incorrect in stating it was a 10 speed; it is actually a 21
speed.

Old July 21st 04, 12:00 AM
AustinMN

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
I had airless bike tubes when I was in college, and rode them about 100

miles a
week with no problems. I remember the worst thing about them was putting

them
on the wheel then getting the tire on over the airless tube; it took me

about
four hours to do both tires. I have taken up bicycling for the first time
since college, and am willing to sacrifice comfort of ride in exchange for
never having to worry about another flat and pushing a bike 5 or 6 miles

to my
house.

How long has it been? In the 1970's, I had about 10 times as many flats as
I do today (on a mileage basis). The risk of a flat is much lower than it
used to be. Better tires and Kevlar linings make a huge difference. IIRC,
there was a post here about six months ago about someone who had done an
extraordinary distance (something like 70,000 miles in 15 years) without a
flat. Actually, he posted because he finally did have a tube puncture.

If you get a flat, then you can continue your futile quest for airless
tires.

Austin

Old July 21st 04, 01:51 AM
S o r n i

Mpoconnor7 wrote:
I just bought a ten speed today with 26 x 2.1 tires, and want to get
airless tubes so I never have to worry about a flat. Can anybody
recommend a good brand of airless rubber tube inserts

No such thing.

I had airless bike tubes when I was in college, and rode them about
100 miles a week with no problems. I remember the worst thing about
them was putting them on the wheel then getting the tire on over the
airless tube; it took me about four hours to do both tires. I have
taken up bicycling for the first time since college, and am willing
to sacrifice comfort of ride in exchange for never having to worry
about another flat and pushing a bike 5 or 6 miles to my house.

Why on earth would getting a flat tire force you to walk 5 or 6 miles?
Carry a pump, spare tube and patch kit and learn how to use 'em.

Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

If you say so.

Bill "it really isn't complicated" S.

Old July 21st 04, 07:07 PM
Brian

whada buncha knowitalls...

www.airfreetires.com

www.ameritire.com

ameritire doesn't make 27" tires, but their price$ are reasonable.

airfree DOES make 27" tires, but their products are bluddy expen$ive...

Polyurethane airless tires are a bit heavier than a regular tube/tire combo

Getting them on your rims is an adventure

They are usually WAY more expensive and you may even need to buy a special
tool to mount them.

Finally, you may have more luck with a liquid sealant, although the downside
there is that when your tires wear out, you have to replace the tubes as
well. The tubes become STUCK to the insides of the tires.