Chafing from underwear?

Old April 28th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Chafing from underwear?

A bit embarrasing, but:

I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
stays that way.

Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
if they'd help the frontal area.

Old April 28th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote ...
A bit embarrasing, but:

I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen? I
imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never
stays that way.

Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
if they'd help the frontal area.

Bike shorts worn next to the skin seem to make that whole area more
comfortable for me.

Old April 29th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article .com,
writes:
A bit embarrasing, but:

I suspect that the chafing-like red irritation that happens on the top
surface (only) of my "unit" might be coming from cycling with
boxer-brief underwear on and cargo shorts. Anyone had this happen?

In the long-ago past I had something similar. As it turned out,
the source of the problem was residual laundry detergent in the
clothing. A little extra rinsing by hand fixed that. FWIW,
I'm a briefs guy. Anyway, maybe your experience is similar to
mine -- more of a reaction to laundry soap, than mechanical chafing.

imagine the up-and-down pedalling pulls underwear side-to-side and that
adds up over 20 miles or so. I'd try pointing it up, but it never

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
stays that way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe some inspirational thoughts would help :-)

I could jokingly complain that I have trouble keeping
it down, but that wouldn't be the whole truth.

Close to it, though.

Do bike shorts help this sort of issue? I always thought they were
just for providing the seamless padding in the behind area. Not sure
if they'd help the frontal area.

Real, traditional lycra bike shorts w/ the sewn-in chamois
are a Godsend. Mountain biking shorts ain't a patch on 'em.
Besides, I find I wear holes in the softer-fabric MTB shorts
too fast. Same with jeans cut-offs, but at least they're
cheap. And I absolutely abhor the feel of cordura (as is
used in more robust MTB shorts) next to my skin.

There's a cycling-specific undergarment available: Andiamo
Padded Skins. But they're expensive.

cheers,
Tom

--