David Cameron's loan bike is crap.

Old May 6th 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default David Cameron's loan bike is crap.

Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

Look at the rear tyre pressure!

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

The over-the-top cables!!!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...#StartComments

Old May 6th 09, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

spindrift wrote:
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

Look at the rear tyre pressure!

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

The over-the-top cables!!!!

I know motorists who are like you.

They're just as obsessed and just as boring.
Old May 6th 09, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

spindrift wrote:
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

Look at the rear tyre pressure!

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

The over-the-top cables!!!!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...#StartComments

well, it's gold with half-chromed forks. I reckon it's a 1982 Falcon. At
least it's not a Universal or Rudi Altig, but it's been in someone's
cellar for a few decades.

Roger Thorpe
Old May 6th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
chris French

In message
,
spindrift writes
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

It's a bike, it's doing a job (you don't need much of a bike to cycle
that journey), a least he was back on a bike.

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

A classic Ever Ready lamp if I'm not mistaken, I reckon I've got one in
stashed in the garage.

The over-the-top cables!!!!

Oi! my tourer's got over the top cables :-)
--
Chris French

Old May 6th 09, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

chris French wrote:
In message
,
spindrift writes
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

It's a bike, it's doing a job (you don't need much of a bike to cycle
that journey), a least he was back on a bike.

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

A classic Ever Ready lamp if I'm not mistaken, I reckon I've got one in
stashed in the garage.

The over-the-top cables!!!!

Oi! my tourer's got over the top cables :-)

And mine!

I always did think that Spindrift was a dickhead!
Old May 7th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
chris French tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:
In message
,
spindrift writes
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

It's a bike, it's doing a job (you don't need much of a bike to cycle
that journey), a least he was back on a bike.

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

A classic Ever Ready lamp if I'm not mistaken, I reckon I've got one
in stashed in the garage.

The over-the-top cables!!!!

Oi! my tourer's got over the top cables :-)

Is it just my imagination, or has it really got one suicide lever and one
normal one?

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old May 7th 09, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On May 7, 9:48*am, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:
. uk,
chris French tweaked the Babbage-Engine
to tell us:

In message
,
spindrift writes
Look at the state of that worthless piece of ****!

It's a bike, it's doing a job (you don't need much of a bike to cycle
that journey), a least he was back on a bike.

The front lamp, what's that, Jacobean?

A classic Ever Ready lamp if I'm not mistaken, I reckon I've got one
in stashed in the garage.

The over-the-top cables!!!!

Oi! my tourer's got over the top cables :-)

Is it just my imagination, or has it really got one suicide lever and one
normal one?

I think you're right (I know what you mean, but I personally wouldn't
call the rear brake lever a "suicide" lever, on the basis that having
some braking power in that position on the handle bars is better than
having none at all).

It certainly doesn't look like something dark happens to be draped
across the equivalent part of the front brake lever.

PhilD

Old May 7th 09, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_6_]

Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:

I think you're right (I know what you mean, but I personally wouldn't
call the rear brake lever a "suicide" lever, on the basis that having
some braking power in that position on the handle bars is better than
having none at all).

In practice (and having had a bike with two of them for several years I
had lots) it was much better to head for the main levers, even if it
meant a slight delay in starting braking, than to rely on the "suicides".
Having no lever there at all forces you to go for the better tool for
the braking job, rather than start the job with an inadequate one and
find it very hard to change when it proves not up to the job.

Pete.

I'd agree with that. Having worked as a bike mechanic when these were
common I don't think I was ever able to adjust them so that they gave
effective braking, especially with steel rims. They also exclude the
possibility of riding comfortably on the hoods, which is where most of
my braking is done.
However there used to be a problem getting brake levers for people with
small hands, even on mid-market bikes, and for some women these brakes
were the best of a bad set of options.

Roger Thorpe
Old May 7th 09, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On May 7, 10:31*am, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Roger Thorpe- Hide quoted text -

Ever ready lamps would sometimes twist into the spokes and get hurled
from the bike in an explosion of HP batteries.

Most Dawes now have the cables fitted internally in the bars. I
suppose a bike like that is less likely to get nicked...