What saddlebags do people like?

Old June 17th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
someone

Default What saddlebags do people like?

On 17 June, 09:49, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
someone, possibly Trevor Jeffrey, wrote: On 17 June, 02:24, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

Rear wheel clearance is not an issue (heel clearance governs):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7.....

And no, I will NOT be putting the cat in the bag.

A shoulder bag. *I think you are thinking bike specific, its not
needed with the space that you have. *Just wrap the strap around the
handlebars.

A shoulder bag that could hang off the saddle when riding would be
ideal. Due to the humid summer climate, having a bag against one's body
while riding is undesirable.

Or get a wire handlebar basket, this is quicker for grabbing some
shopping on route, nothing fiddly to deal with if you feel a bit
peckish waiting at a junction. *They do come with quick release
mounts. *This would likely end up the most useful. *Your route should
pass a bakery, baskets are for bread. *Dont forget the butter and
pate. *And a cup holder for coffee should be installed on the basket.

Quick-release would be necessary, since the handlebars fold over against
the front wheel.

The cat will enjoy riding in the basket, are you going to pull it out
when it fancies a sleep there?

The cats have been to the vet in a pet carrier bungee-corded to a rear
rack - I would not trust them to stay in a basket while riding.

Bromptom reckon that their riders prefer to use front baggage, I think
it is because rear loading increases instability. Their bike is a 16"
folder of 40" wheelbase if memory serves me right (not a Roman arch).

Here's a front basket:
http://www.evanscycles.com/product_i...jpg?1227117921
There are cheaper ones with a seperate mounting for easy and reliable
quick release. The advantage of a basket is that you can overload it
if needs be. It will drain out the rain. It keeps the crust crispy
on fresh bread (as long as its not raining). An umbrella is then your
next addition, or a poncho type cycle cape.

As far as the shoulder bag goes, fit a swivel clip to the strap to
attatch to the saddle frame sew a velcro strap to go around the seat
tube attatching to one end of the bag and fit a plate to the bottom of
the bag with locating studs to fit in the carrier frame.

A steel plate secured to the carrier would make temporary attatchment
by any bag simple. Just stick some strong magnets inside the base of
the bag (no carriage of magnetic media). Forgot the name of those
magnets. This will work for any bag with a light load at any time.
Old June 17th 09, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 17, 2:58*am, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
"landotter" wrote:
On Jun 16, 9:24 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

Rear wheel clearance is not an issue (heel clearance governs):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7.....

You're not putting panniers on that folder. Get a trunk bag.

Indeed, unless I pedaled with my heels, panniers will not work.

The question is which trunk or saddle bag?

Anyone have this bag http://www.velo-orange.com/saddlebag.html?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

or this one: http://www.minnehahabags.com/canvas-saddle-bag-small/

I've been toying with getting either one of them.
Old June 17th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Bernhard Agthe

Hi,

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

In your case I'd try a Quick-lock handlebar bag - they seem to be the
least hazzle ;-)

Though, I've got a bag made by "Norco" for my (short) front carrier,
which is quite fine. It mounts to the carrier via four velcro straps and
is of good overall quality. They actually make good handlebar bags, also ;-)

Ciao..

..
Old June 17th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 17, 4:49*am, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:

The cats have been to the vet in a pet carrier bungee-corded to a rear
rack - I would not trust them to stay in a basket while riding.

I took our cat (well, now ex-cat) for a few short neighborhood rides
in my handlebar bag. He was on a leash shortened to prevent him from
getting out, but he never tried to escape. In contrast to car rides,
which he detested, he seemed to enjoy the bike ride.

But my wife worried too much, so I stopped the practice.

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 17th 09, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark[_12_]

landotter wrote:
On Jun 16, 9:24 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

Rear wheel clearance is not an issue (heel clearance governs):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7....

You're not putting panniers on that folder. Get a trunk bag.

Agreed. No pannier I can imagine will give heel clearance on that bike.
Trunk bags, saddle bags, etc. look like the best bet.

Mark J.
Old June 17th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Mark[_12_]

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
The cats have been to the vet in a pet carrier bungee-corded to a rear
rack - I would not trust them to stay in a basket while riding.

On first read I only saw "bungee-corded to a rear rack" and I thought
/that/ must be tricky to set up.

Mark J.

Old June 17th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Jun 16, 10:14*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Buckets are not a problem to obtain, as my two cats seem to pee and poop
copiously, but take another look at the picture, and you will see that
heel clearance is an issue.

Whoop - I didn't look at the photo. You'd also have an issue with
ground clearance, I think.

With two of those, I could bring home 54 pounds of cat litter!

Yup. It's a little ungainly to buy them one at a time unless I bring
the wagon.
Old June 17th 09, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
AMuzi

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
"landotter" wrote:
On Jun 16, 9:24 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

Rear wheel clearance is not an issue (heel clearance governs):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/3602240682/sizes/l/in/set-7....

You're not putting panniers on that folder. Get a trunk bag.

Indeed, unless I pedaled with my heels, panniers will not work.

The question is which trunk or saddle bag?

Anyone have this bag http://www.velo-orange.com/saddlebag.html?

This maybe?
http://ecom1.planetbike.com/4020.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 18th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Press

In article ,
Bernhard Agthe wrote:

Hi,

Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

In your case I'd try a Quick-lock handlebar bag - they seem to be the
least hazzle ;-)

Spelled "hassle". Origin unknown.

--
Michael Press
Old June 18th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tom Sherman °_°:
I am looking for something large enough for a rain-suit, lunch and
possibly a change of clothes. Quick dismounting from the bike and a
shoulder strap would also be useful.

I like the Carradice quick-remove setup.

The bag's nothing to write home about, but the ease of
removal/attachment redeems it.
--
PeteCresswell

question about Carradice saddlebags (Barley) Woland99 Techniques 16 May 1st 09 06:46 PM
Question on saddlebags Smokey General 1 August 16th 07 04:29 PM
Saddlebags Slark UK 6 April 22nd 07 09:54 AM
Seatpacks and saddlebags... Simon Bennett UK 14 March 7th 06 10:55 AM
Brooks saddlebags David Damerell Techniques 3 January 21st 04 05:03 AM