A good time for 10km TT?

Old June 12th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default A good time for 10km TT?

Donald Munro wrote:

Long rides (more than 4 hours) do add to your ability to handle intense
efforts, presumably by improving capilirization.it

You really shouldn't perpetuate such myths.

Andy Coggan

Old June 12th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ron Ruff wrote:

If you work on intensity and increase your 20-30min threshold (~lactate
threshold)

The intensity that you can maintain for 20-30 min is well above lactate
threshold, even if you mistakenly use the latter term to mean maximal
lactate steady state/critical power.

then your 2hr sustainable power will also improve.

Only if the increase in your 20 min power is due to an increase in
metabolic fitness, and not due to an increase in anaerobic capacity.

One ride
a week or so before your 100km race that matches the amount of energy
(like W-hrs) that you will expend in the race, will be enough
"endurance" training.

Enough for what? To be able "fake it" through race, maybe...but
certainly not enough for a young person to be the best that they can
possibly be.

Andy Coggan

Old June 12th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

acoggan wrote:
You really shouldn't perpetuate such myths.

Welcome back chief scientific officer. I hope you enjoyed your sabbatical
in Vulcan and managed to find a suitable mate during the mating season.

So what effect do such long rides have in increasing ability to tolerate
or recover from intensity during races as I (empirically only) think there
is (for me) an improvement ? (note I don't subscribe to the other myth
about riding below some given intensity during such long rides and mix
several fairly long climbs in on most of my long rides.)

And before the next Vulcan mating season starts, may I also enquire
whether you think a Powertap SL is worth the difference in price over a
pro ?

Old June 12th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:09:19 +0200, Donald Munro
wrote:

And before the next Vulcan mating season starts, may I also enquire
whether you think a Powertap SL is worth the difference in price over a
pro ?

I thought power tapping was thouroughly covered last year...

Mostly in theory in rbr.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old June 12th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Donald Munro wrote:

what effect do such long rides have in increasing ability to tolerate
or recover from intensity during races as I (empirically only) think there
is (for me) an improvement ?

If I had to guess, I would say "an increase in the mitochondrial
content/respiratory capacity of normally hard-to-recruit type II
fibers". Note, though, that long rides aren't the only way of induced
such an adaptation (although they may be the most pleasant way).

may I also enquire
whether you think a Powertap SL is worth the difference in price over a
pro ?

I don't have any personal experience with either. The only difference,
though, is the hub, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that the SL
hub is significantly more reliable than the one you get with a Pro
system. (The bearing in the SL hub may last longer, however.)

Andy Coggan (SRM or original PowerTap standard, depending on the
day/bike)

Old June 12th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message . com,
') wrote:

Tom Kunich wrote:

The fact is that aero stuff and TT bikes make almost no contribution
to a person unless they're already averaging over 25 mph.

This is nonsense. There is no minimal speed at which a reduction in
aerodynamic drag isn't helpful (even if only to a very small degree).
In fact, in terms of absolute time saved, slower riders stand to gain
the most from the use of aerodynamic equipment

That's right. And it's also good psychologically and makes my bike look
pretty. So give it all to me, because you lot don't need it.

;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

Old June 12th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Donald Munro wrote:

And before the next Vulcan mating season starts, may I also enquire
whether you think a Powertap SL is worth the difference in price over a
pro ?

The head units are the same. The difference is mostly(*) that the SL hub
weighs 160g less. It costs about $300 more, so that's $2/g.

* the SL has sealed bearings on both sides. The Pro has a sealed bearing
on the LHS but a POS cone on the RHS. You can replace it when it wears out
with a Dura-Ace part.