Pedestrians / dog walkers on off road cycle paths

Old May 28th 04, 08:12 AM
SAW

Default Pedestrians / dog walkers on off road cycle paths

Hello

I've returned to commuting by bike this week after a few months out of the
saddle after I moved house and changed jobs - my new route includes a
section of disused railway which is now a pretty decent dedicated cycle path
which cuts across the majority of Cheltenham.and makes the urban part of my
journey a lot more pleasant and significantly quicker.

However, everyday I have had one incident of having to brake heavily to
avoid collision with dogs that are being walked on the cycle path and left
to roam loose, and several times had to back off just in case.

Suggestions to owners that they be put on leads are met with varying
haven't always been polite and I haven't stopped to discuss the issue.

Whilst I realise that you have to ride at suitable speeds in every situation
and assess hazards that you are approaching, I don't think it is too much to
expect cycle paths to be clear of unpredictable movement of this type.

So my questions are what are the "rules" for urban off road cycle paths and
who polices them? Is it actually worth complaining to anybody other than the
dog owners who if they had the sense wouldn't be doing it anyway?

As far as I can see there are no signs that say that dogs must be kept on
leads - I have no problem with pedestrians using the route or even dogs on
leads but would like to know who is perceived to have right of way.

Anyone had previous experience of something like this?

Regards,

Simon

Old May 28th 04, 08:27 AM
Simonb

SAW wrote:

Anyone had previous experience of something like this?

Yes, but not since I stopped using shared-use routes -- they just don't cut
it. Too much hassle.

Old May 28th 04, 09:01 AM
Frank X

So my questions are what are the "rules" for urban off road cycle paths
and
who polices them? Is it actually worth complaining to anybody other than
the
dog owners who if they had the sense wouldn't be doing it anyway?

Yep the rules are that you have a reponsibility to avoid hitting pedestrians
where as they have no responsibility to avoid being hit.

As far as I can see there are no signs that say that dogs must be kept on
leads - I have no problem with pedestrians using the route or even dogs on
leads but would like to know who is perceived to have right of way.

Anyone had previous experience of something like this?

I thought dogs always had to be kept on leads? My experience is that dogs
are often a lot better at getting out the way than you think so as long as
you are careful to make a noise (maybe you should try getting a siren ) you
won't hit them.

Old May 28th 04, 09:35 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , SAW
') wrote:

So my questions are what are the "rules" for urban off road cycle
paths and who polices them? Is it actually worth complaining to
anybody other than the dog owners who if they had the sense wouldn't
be doing it anyway?

Highway code, rule 42:

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short
lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists.

See URL:http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/02.shtml

The Conservative Party now has the support of a smaller proportion of
the electorate in Scotland than Sinn Fein have in Northern Ireland.

Old May 28th 04, 10:38 AM
Simon Mason

"SAW" wrote in message
Hello

I've returned to commuting by bike this week after a few months out of the
saddle after I moved house and changed jobs - my new route includes a
section of disused railway which is now a pretty decent dedicated cycle

path
which cuts across the majority of Cheltenham.and makes the urban part of

my
journey a lot more pleasant and significantly quicker.

However, everyday I have had one incident of having to brake heavily to
avoid collision with dogs that are being walked on the cycle path and left
to roam loose, and several times had to back off just in case.

My commute seen here

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.mason/page408.htm

takes in several miles of ex rail lines and I meet the odd dog walker now
and again. Normally there is enough room to pass with no problem, but now
and again the dog will be loose and on those occasions it is sensible to
slow right down to walking speed until you pass to allow for any sudden
movements.

All the walkers I meet are actually apologetic that they have held you up,
so it pays to be polite; they are revelling in the car free environment like
you are, they are enjoying the fact that they can let their dog go for a run
without getting run over and you can relax as you have no 38 tonne truck
bearing down on you - enjoy it together :-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 28th 04, 02:10 PM
Philip TAYLOR [PC87S/O-XP]

SAW wrote:

[snip]

Anyone had previous experience of something like this?

In Petts Wood, where I used to ride (horses) regularly,
there is a permissive bridleway which goes virtually
all the way around the wood. On that bridelway, one
would regularly encounted both walkers and dogs, and
there was a clear obligation in the part of the horse
rider to avoid any collision with either.

Not a direct analogy, I agree, but perhaps in the
category of "something like this".

** Phil.
Old May 28th 04, 03:59 PM
Tony Raven

SAW wrote:

However, everyday I have had one incident of having to brake heavily to
avoid collision with dogs that are being walked on the cycle path and left
to roam loose, and several times had to back off just in case.

If you are having an incident every day I am concerned that you do not seem to
learning from experience. My take FWIW is that you should adapt your
behaviour to suit the conditions.

Tony

Old May 28th 04, 11:52 PM
SAW

Thanks for the comments.

I do take care when approaching all other users of the cycle path - however,
traffic doesn't bother me - I only use the cycle path because the surface is
generally better than the alternative roads - if I'm having to slow down all
the time for a hazard, which in my opinion shouldn't be there, then I might
as well use the roads.

Anyway, I've emailed the Council about getting some 'dogs must be kept on
leads' signs put up and will (politely) remind anyone I see from now on.

Cheers

Simon

Old May 29th 04, 06:14 PM
Vivian

The councils should put up sings on cycling lanes for pedestrians to keep
the f**k off them!

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

Old May 29th 04, 06:43 PM
Daniel Barlow

"Vivian" writes:

The councils should put up sings on cycling lanes for pedestrians to keep
the f**k off them!

What, like the busker licensing scheme on the tube? "Get on the
pavement or I'll sing Hotel California again"

Sorry. I don't usually comment on spelling, but I found the mental
image here amusing.

-dan

--
"please make sure that the person is your friend before you confirm"