Helmets

Old May 23rd 05, 08:19 PM
Zoot Katz

23 May 2005 11:18:41 -0700,
.com,
"Maggie" wrote:

kj wrote:
Velcro!

I think a staple gun would do the trick. Staple the strap to the side
of the face. then it won't go under the chin.

A bicycle inner tube over the top of the helmet and under the arms.
--
zk
Old May 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 23 May 2005 07:42:26 -0700, "Maggie"
wrote in message
.com:

I was going to say that, but I thought I would be lynched. I never wear
a helmet when I am cycling around town. I am not a daredevil, I am
usually in a park, the only times I have been hurt so far was while
"walking in front of a cyclist" and at a "rest stop".

Hey, it's one of the world's best-kept secrets - cycling is actually
pretty safe :-)

IMO - A person who rides like me, usually does not fall on their head.
It is usually a leg scrap for something. Unless this gentleman is into
riding in alot of traffic or pushing himself to the limit....I think he
can get away without a helmet to give him a comfortable ride. I bought
a helmet for the charity ride, if I had not needed it, I probably still
would not have one.

Seems fair to me.

Actually as far as I can see the major difference is not between
helmeted and unhelmeted cyclists, but between those who are risk
averse (and hence usually wear helmets) and those who are not. My
guess is that the OP will fit into the risk-averse category.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 23rd 05, 08:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 23 May 2005 08:04:51 -0700, "Will"
wrote in message
.com:

Having been over the bars and headfirst onto asphalt in the good old
days before helmets (my sewup peeled and lodged in the fork), I would
strongly urge you not to find out the HARD way. Believe me, road rash
does not compare.

Yes, I've done that. My knitted acrylic balaclava definitely saved my
life, I would recommend that everybody wear one whenever they ride a
bike.

Old May 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 23 May 2005 11:41:48 -0700, "Will"
wrote in message
.com:

Just curious... do you feel the same way about seatbelts?

http://www.eirbyte.com/gcc/info/seat_belts.html

Old May 23rd 05, 08:25 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 23 May 2005 11:49:51 -0700, "Maggie"
wrote in message
.com:

Seatbelts are definately a necessity. Especially riding shotgun in cars
that do not have airbags on both sides. You are sitting in a death
seat.

There is a worrying increase in the rates of front passenger
fatalities now that cars with driver's airbags are reaching the price
range of young male drivers - it's called risk compensation. In my
view driver-only airbags should be illegal in any car driven by people
under the age of 40...

Old May 23rd 05, 08:29 PM
Maggie

Zoot Katz wrote:

Get serious. Seat belts, air bags and molded foam liners are needed
inside your stinky scuds because those filthy things constitute

deadly
menaces to their passengers as well as anyone else encountering them.

You have a way with words Zoot. Did you know that? Stinky Scuds.
Isn't a Scud a soviet missle or boat or something? So if I read you
correctly a car is a deadly menace to all and should be banned? If I
give up my car how would I put my lip gloss on in the rear view while
driving to work and talking on my cell.

I was only joking my dear.......

Maggie

Old May 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
Stephen Harding

Will wrote:

Stephen Harding wrote:

Wear a helmet if you really fear what could happen, but despite your
fears, you may find out that your life and health are more endangered
from activities other than bicycling without a helmet!

Just curious... do you feel the same way about seatbelts?

I think seat belts are quite well documented to save lives,
as do airbags, even though both sometimes kill or injure the
occupant as well.

Do you wear a helmet in your car? Do you think the seatbelt
and airbag (if you have one) make head injuries in cars a
thing of the past?

SMH

Old May 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
Stephen Harding

Maggie wrote:

Seatbelts are definately a necessity. Especially riding shotgun in cars
that do not have airbags on both sides. You are sitting in a death
seat.

You don't have that belt on, you are right through the windshield.

Ahh but if you had that helmet on, you wouldn't care!

SMH

Old May 23rd 05, 09:09 PM
Stephen Harding

Maggie wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

Get serious. Seat belts, air bags and molded foam liners are needed
inside your stinky scuds because those filthy things constitute deadly
menaces to their passengers as well as anyone else encountering them.

You have a way with words Zoot. Did you know that? Stinky Scuds.
Isn't a Scud a soviet missle or boat or something? So if I read you
correctly a car is a deadly menace to all and should be banned? If I
give up my car how would I put my lip gloss on in the rear view while
driving to work and talking on my cell.

OK so your face would look less dolled up and you'd be incommunicado
for a time.

But think how strong your ankles would be!

SMH

Old May 23rd 05, 09:17 PM
Zoot Katz

23 May 2005 12:29:15 -0700,
.com,
"Maggie" wrote:

You have a way with words Zoot. Did you know that? Stinky Scuds.
Isn't a Scud a soviet missle or boat or something?

It's a crappy missile with a lousy guidance system, range and payload
comparable to the **** boxes we see advertised and parked everywhere.

CARS SUCK! and the people in love with their addiction to them are
stupid enough that they should starve.
--
zk