Use Bar Extensions To Block Wind?

Old January 17th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default Use Bar Extensions To Block Wind?

On Jan 16, 10:19*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per kolldata:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...biw=1152&bih=6...

I don't get it.

Something to do with cotton?
--
Pete Cresswell

unnngh go over to Campmor.com, look for ski gloves in goretex.=prob on
sale...

yasee Nbar sez its giving stuff away ? look for balclava....they
overstock ....
Old January 17th 12, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&h...w=1152&bih=614

see also plain: 'pogies'

Old January 17th 12, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 16, 7:22*pm, raamman wrote:
On Jan 16, 6:29*pm, Peter Cole wrote:

On 1/16/2012 4:37 PM, landotter wrote:

On Jan 16, 11:19 am, *wrote:
Per landotter:

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking - but the devil is
in the details and I thought I'd troll for a working solution
before starting down the trial-and-error path.
--
Pete Cresswell

A search for "handlebar muff" shows quite a few m/c and snowmobile
options, some good for inspiration, others so inexpensive that they're
worth trying:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/review.../list/id/5531/

AKA "pogies", quite popular among "ice bikers". I find shells over mitts
to work well enough that I have at least one pair that's much to warm
for even winter cycling in Massachusetts. My cold weather bikes are
either fixed gear or twist shift. Keeping feet/face warm is a much more
challenging task.- Hide quoted text -

smear vaseline on parts that get cold due to wind; works absolute
wonders

I've been known to do this with my knees when it was between shorts
and tights temp. Works great, and gives your joints a handsome sheen.
Old January 17th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Below a certain temp, my fleece gloves aren't enough.

Tried mitten shells and they work as far as warmth goes, but are
a hassle to put on/take off and interfere with control.

Given that the bike has handlebar extensions as in
http://tinyurl.com/7ac6q34 it seems like, if one is willing to
forego the use of the extensions, something clever could be done
with a cut-up detergent bottle or something to create a shield
against the wind.

Sort of an open-air Hippo Hands solution.
http://www.hippohands.com/R75.6.jpg

Anybody got something that works?

http://barmitts.com/

(I've got the drop-bar version of barmitts and love them.)

Somewhat cheaper (but maybe not after shipping from Canada):

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...~5019-300/mec-
northstar-cycling-pogies-unisex.jsp

Also note that the reviews don't seem very favorable.

One more (Moose Mitts):

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te...mfbikemits.htm
Old January 17th 12, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 16, 8:17*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Below a certain temp, my fleece gloves aren't enough.

Tried mitten shells and they work as far as warmth goes, but are
a hassle to put on/take off and interfere with control.

Given that the bike has handlebar extensions as inhttp://tinyurl.com/7ac6q34it seems like, if one is willing to
forego the use of the extensions, something clever could be done
with a cut-up detergent bottle or something to create a shield
against the wind.

Sort of an open-air Hippo Hands solution.http://www.hippohands.com/R75.6.jpg

Anybody got something that works?
--
Pete Cresswell

I have some really nice gloves but they only seem to work for about 5
miles when the temp. is below 30 degrees, so I use a pair of plastic
'grocery store' bags over them and that helps a LOT.

Lewis

*****
Old January 17th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 1/17/2012 1:40 PM, wrote:
On Jan 16, 8:17 am, wrote:
[...]

I've used plastic bags between shoes and socks, it does trap sweat though.

My problem with gloves is that, unlike feet, they always start off cold
and warm up as I ride. On fast rides I find I have to layer them &
adjust mid ride or my gloves become soaked with sweat. My feet never
seem to warm up, just get continually colder as the ride progresses, no
matter how hard or long. Oddly, getting off the bike and walking seems
to warm them up quickly.
Old January 18th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Jan 16, 11:19 am, *wrote:
[...]

and tights temp. Works great, and gives your joints a handsome sheen.- Hide quoted text -

I ve gone in minus 20c with another - 20 c wind chill with just vas on
my face and it kept warm- such a simple solution, why do so many
persist in the search for contraptions ?

Old January 18th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Jan 16, 11:19 am, *wrote:
[...]

Heavy wallets.- Hide quoted text -

ahhhhh, I seeeee