Mixed road/mtb indexed front shifting

Old April 6th 13, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Mixed road/mtb indexed front shifting

I'm working on a bike that the previous owner put a mishmash of parts
on. I'm having particular problems getting the front shifting to work,
and before wasting more time, thought I'd see if this combination is
even possible.

Front shifter -- a Dura Ace ST-7703 triple shifter (9-speed, I
believe).

Front derailleur -- a Shimano 600 double (sorry, don't have the model
number at hand).

Front crank -- Shimano FC-MC19, 42-tooth large ring (also with 9-speed
spacing).

The curve of the derailleur cage doesn't match the curve of the large
ring very well, but what seems a bigger problem is that there doesn't
seem to be enough throw in the shifter to carry the derailleur from
small to large ring.

Will this combination work?
Old April 6th 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, April 5, 2013 9:30:01 PM UTC-4, Gary Young wrote:
I'm working on a bike that the previous owner put a mishmash of parts

on. I'm having particular problems getting the front shifting to work,

and before wasting more time, thought I'd see if this combination is

even possible.

Front shifter -- a Dura Ace ST-7703 triple shifter (9-speed, I

believe).

Front derailleur -- a Shimano 600 double (sorry, don't have the model

number at hand).

Front crank -- Shimano FC-MC19, 42-tooth large ring (also with 9-speed

spacing).

The curve of the derailleur cage doesn't match the curve of the large

ring very well, but what seems a bigger problem is that there doesn't

seem to be enough throw in the shifter to carry the derailleur from

small to large ring.

Will this combination work?

A Shimano 600 not Ultegra? 600 is old school and the curve of the side plates probably doesn't match your large 42 teeth chainring. I doubt that you'll be able to get a genuine 600 ft derailer to shift a system that has a 42 chainring as the large ring. What's the teeth count on the inner ring?

Cheers
Old April 6th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/5/2013 8:30 PM, Gary Young wrote:
I'm working on a bike that the previous owner put a mishmash of parts
on. I'm having particular problems getting the front shifting to work,
and before wasting more time, thought I'd see if this combination is
even possible.

Front shifter -- a Dura Ace ST-7703 triple shifter (9-speed, I
believe).

Front derailleur -- a Shimano 600 double (sorry, don't have the model
number at hand).

Front crank -- Shimano FC-MC19, 42-tooth large ring (also with 9-speed
spacing).

The curve of the derailleur cage doesn't match the curve of the large
ring very well, but what seems a bigger problem is that there doesn't
seem to be enough throw in the shifter to carry the derailleur from
small to large ring.

Will this combination work?

Front doubles are generally pretty forgiving of mismatch, as
you suspected. That isn't foolproof though. Check the part
number (FD-0000) on the inside edge of the cage.

You may find an older model mountain triple front changer
matches the 42 curve better.

If nothing else, setting the cable more slack than usual (so
you use two front lever clicks) will work too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 6th 13, 06:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

[...]

I'll have to check tomorrow, but I see now that I didn't make it clear
that the crank is a mountain triple (and hence probably 22-32-42).
Old April 6th 13, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

reshape the cage, rotate position on tube then move up n down a hair.

drill out the cage rivets, replace with bolt/nuts/washers/nut.

add a tail piece.