SRAM cassette

Old August 9th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
R Brickston

Default SRAM cassette

I took an SRAM 11-32 9-speed off the touring bike to remove a broken
spoke protector. The cog assembly was held together by a single bolt.
Is this the way they manufacture them? There are 2 other holes
(vacant) through the spacers and cogs. All the Shimano cassettes I've
dissassembled had all three bolts.
Old August 9th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:46:02 GMT, R Brickston
rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote:

I took an SRAM 11-32 9-speed off the touring bike to remove a broken
spoke protector. The cog assembly was held together by a single bolt.
Is this the way they manufacture them? There are 2 other holes
(vacant) through the spacers and cogs. All the Shimano cassettes I've
dissassembled had all three bolts.

The bolts are not needed at all in most instances. The sprockets will
work just fine without them. I would not recommend their deletion if
using the cassette on an aluminum freehub body, but on cassette
mounted on a steel body, they're really more of a convenience than a
necessity.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old August 9th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

R Brickston wrote:
I took an SRAM 11-32 9-speed off the touring bike to remove a broken
spoke protector. The cog assembly was held together by a single bolt.
Is this the way they manufacture them? There are 2 other holes
(vacant) through the spacers and cogs. All the Shimano cassettes I've
dissassembled had all three bolts.

Yep, take that teeny bolt out and throw it away. Easier to clean w/o
them.

FS: Sram R9 Cassette 11-21 and Chain Like New [email protected] Marketplace 0 October 25th 05 09:46 PM
SRAM PC48 on a 9 speed cassette? J UK 9 March 20th 05 01:15 PM
SRAM Cassette Tom Techniques 17 February 15th 05 08:23 PM
SRAM shifters/Shimano cassette? TimH Techniques 1 June 14th 04 11:02 PM
SRAM Road Cassette Chainline Issues [email protected] Techniques 8 June 2nd 04 11:41 AM