rim for 604-605 ERD?

Old December 15th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

Default rim for 604-605 ERD?

Long story short, I have the hub and spokes but can't use the rim I
was intending to...

Can anyone recommend a rim with 604 or 605 ERD, 36h, good for 28-45mm
tires? I'm building on a drum brake so a "disk-specific" rim is fine.

-pm
Old December 15th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Dec 14, 11:03*pm, pm wrote:
Long story short, I have the hub and spokes but can't use the rim I
was intending to...

Can anyone recommend a rim with 604 or 605 ERD, 36h, good for 28-45mm
tires? I'm building on a drum brake so a "disk-specific" rim is fine.

Velocity Aerohead & Synergy list as 602, Razor as 607.

Sun Assault is listed at 603, DS2 at 604, & Damon Rinard's
spocalc.xls lists the M14A at 603. My lone ME14A (is this
the same as the M14A? Why the E?) measures at about
601.5mm, FWIW.

Good luck.
Old December 15th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:03:31 -0800 (PST), pm
wrote:

Long story short, I have the hub and spokes but can't use the rim I
was intending to...

Can anyone recommend a rim with 604 or 605 ERD, 36h, good for 28-45mm
tires? I'm building on a drum brake so a "disk-specific" rim is fine.

-pm

http://www.salsacycles.com/rims.html
Salsa Semi 29er Disc if you're going for the bigger end of your tyre
scale, Delgado Cross for the smaller end. There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old December 17th 09, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

pm wrote:

Long story short, I have the hub and spokes but can't use the rim I
was intending to...

Can anyone recommend a rim with 604 or 605 ERD, 36h, good for 28-45mm
tires? I'm building on a drum brake so a "disk-specific" rim is fine.

Velocity Synergy is the right width, the right ERD, and even has an
offset drilled version that makes stronger dished wheels.

Chalo
Old December 17th 09, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45

A rim of 22-24mm outside width should be about right for that range of
tire widths.

Chalo
Old December 17th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kinky Cowboy

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 22:58:13 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45

A rim of 22-24mm outside width should be about right for that range of
tire widths.

Chalo

It will work, it won't be ideal.
Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary
Old December 17th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45

A rim of 22-24mm outside width should be about right for that range of
tire widths.

It will work, it won't be ideal.

Well, let's see. Proportionally speaking, a 28mm tire on a 24mm rim
corresponds to a 23mm sport road tire on a 20mm rim. If that's not
ideal, then just about everybody is doing it wrong.

And a 45mm tire on a 24mm rim corresponds to a 53mm MTB tire on a 28mm
rim. Which again would be just about ideal, to judge by what folks
are using most successfully.

What would you recommend?

Chalo
Old December 17th 09, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Dec 17, 1:46*pm, Chalo wrote:
Kinky Cowboy wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45

A rim of 22-24mm outside width should be about right for that range of
tire widths.

It will work, it won't be ideal.

Well, let's see. *Proportionally speaking, a 28mm tire on a 24mm rim
corresponds to a 23mm sport road tire on a 20mm rim. *If that's not
ideal, then just about everybody is doing it wrong.

I've run 30mm on a 24mm rim--and the proportions are indeed what you
say. About the same as the tire to rim on a British Roadster as well.

And a 45mm tire on a 24mm rim corresponds to a 53mm MTB tire on a 28mm
rim. *Which again would be just about ideal, to judge by what folks
are using most successfully.

Which is narrower than ideal. That's why mtb rims, such as the classic
single wall Araya, used to be a lot wider.

What would you recommend?

32-45 on a 24mm rim. ;-)

Old December 18th 09, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 17 Dec, 19:57, landotter wrote:
On Dec 17, 1:46*pm, Chalo wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Kinky Cowboy wrote:

There isn't one rim which is
ideal for all tyre sizes from 28 to 45

A rim of 22-24mm outside width should be about right for that range of
tire widths.

It will work, it won't be ideal.

Well, let's see. *Proportionally speaking, a 28mm tire on a 24mm rim
corresponds to a 23mm sport road tire on a 20mm rim. *If that's not
ideal, then just about everybody is doing it wrong.

I've run 30mm on a 24mm rim--and the proportions are indeed what you
say. About the same as the tire to rim on a British Roadster as well.

internal 22mm, external 27mm for a 32mm tyre

The internal wall to wall dimension is usually around 0.7 of the tyre
section.
So 20mm fo rthe 28 tyre and 31mm for the 45mm section. I wouldn't
go wider than an internal dimension of 23mm for the 28mm section, and
that'll have to do for the wider tyre unless using different rims,
which is what I would do here. I just simpluy would not even bother
trying to run such a wide tyre range on one rim.

What would you recommend?

32-45 on a 24mm rim. ;-)

internalwidth.