Use Bar Extensions To Block Wind?

Old January 16th 12, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Use Bar Extensions To Block Wind?

Below a certain temp, my fleece gloves aren't enough.

Tried mitten shells and they work as far as warmth goes, but are
a hassle to put on/take off and interfere with control.

Given that the bike has handlebar extensions as in
http://tinyurl.com/7ac6q34 it seems like, if one is willing to
forego the use of the extensions, something clever could be done
with a cut-up detergent bottle or something to create a shield
against the wind.

Sort of an open-air Hippo Hands solution.
http://www.hippohands.com/R75.6.jpg

Anybody got something that works?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...44l3-1.3.2l6l0
Old January 16th 12, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 16, 8:17*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Below a certain temp, my fleece gloves aren't enough.

Tried mitten shells and they work as far as warmth goes, but are
a hassle to put on/take off and interfere with control.

Given that the bike has handlebar extensions as inhttp://tinyurl.com/7ac6q34it seems like, if one is willing to
forego the use of the extensions, something clever could be done
with a cut-up detergent bottle or something to create a shield
against the wind.

Sort of an open-air Hippo Hands solution.http://www.hippohands.com/R75.6.jpg

Anybody got something that works?
--
Pete Cresswell

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?
Old January 16th 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per landotter:

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking - but the devil is
in the details and I thought I'd troll for a working solution
before starting down the trial-and-error path.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per kolldata:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...44l3-1.3.2l6l0

I don't get it.

Something to do with cotton?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old January 16th 12, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Below a certain temp, my fleece gloves aren't enough.

Tried mitten shells and they work as far as warmth goes, but are
a hassle to put on/take off and interfere with control.

Given that the bike has handlebar extensions as in
http://tinyurl.com/7ac6q34 it seems like, if one is willing to
forego the use of the extensions, something clever could be done
with a cut-up detergent bottle or something to create a shield
against the wind.

Sort of an open-air Hippo Hands solution.
http://www.hippohands.com/R75.6.jpg

Anybody got something that works?

Mine are appropriately named "Yukon", he
http://ussheepskin.com/gloves.html

Nice hunk of inside-out animal, a.k.a., "nature's goretex".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 16th 12, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 16, 11:19*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per landotter:

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking - but the devil is
in the details and I thought I'd troll for a working solution
before starting down the trial-and-error path.
--
Pete Cresswell

A search for "handlebar muff" shows quite a few m/c and snowmobile
options, some good for inspiration, others so inexpensive that they're
worth trying:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/review.../list/id/5531/
Old January 16th 12, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 1/16/2012 4:37 PM, landotter wrote:
On Jan 16, 11:19 am, wrote:
Per landotter:

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking - but the devil is
in the details and I thought I'd troll for a working solution
before starting down the trial-and-error path.
--
Pete Cresswell

A search for "handlebar muff" shows quite a few m/c and snowmobile
options, some good for inspiration, others so inexpensive that they're
worth trying:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/review.../list/id/5531/

AKA "pogies", quite popular among "ice bikers". I find shells over mitts
to work well enough that I have at least one pair that's much to warm
for even winter cycling in Massachusetts. My cold weather bikes are
either fixed gear or twist shift. Keeping feet/face warm is a much more
challenging task.
Old January 17th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Jan 16, 6:29*pm, Peter Cole wrote:
On 1/16/2012 4:37 PM, landotter wrote:

On Jan 16, 11:19 am, *wrote:
Per landotter:

Two quart plastic milk jugs rigged up with clamps and polar fleece?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking - but the devil is
in the details and I thought I'd troll for a working solution
before starting down the trial-and-error path.
--
Pete Cresswell

A search for "handlebar muff" shows quite a few m/c and snowmobile
options, some good for inspiration, others so inexpensive that they're
worth trying:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/review.../list/id/5531/

AKA "pogies", quite popular among "ice bikers". I find shells over mitts
to work well enough that I have at least one pair that's much to warm
for even winter cycling in Massachusetts. My cold weather bikes are
either fixed gear or twist shift. Keeping feet/face warm is a much more
challenging task.- Hide quoted text -

smear vaseline on parts that get cold due to wind; works absolute
wonders
Old January 17th 12, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per landotter:
A search for "handlebar muff" shows quite a few m/c and snowmobile
options, some good for inspiration, others so inexpensive that they're
worth trying:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/review.../list/id/5531/

On a kayak paddle, we call them "Pogies".

Same deal as "Hippo Hands".

But I don't like the idea of having my hands immersed in
something like that. Still might give it a try in the end...
but just the open-air shield was more appealing.
--
Pete Cresswell