Bruce's cognitive dissonance

Old December 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Default Bruce's cognitive dissonance

ronaldo_jeremiah wrote:

On Dec 2, 12:52*am, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
On Dec 1, 3:10*pm, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Hermaphrodites. Jamie Lee Curtis is the most famous case.

Just rumour.

I don't have independent substantiation, but an endocrinologist
relayed that story to me.

This is a case where suspicion has turned into 'fact' because
authoritative people who ought to know better just keep relying on
each other as the source of the information.

The Snopes article on JLC is good. Basically, there is no verifiable
source for the rumor and the reason it is still around is that people like
yourself and Henry repeat it without sourcing it. It is also similar to
rumors told about other actresses through the years (e.g., Mae West),
suggesting (to me anyway) it is a meme used by men on women they find
sexually attractive but threatening.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/jam...eleecurtis.htm

I for one, wish I were as funny and talented as Christopher Guest and a
nobleman so that I might have a reasonable shot at her once he's through,
even if she does have XY chromosomes (which I doubt).

--
Bill Asher
Old December 2nd 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marty

wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Hermaphrodites. Jamie Lee Curtis is the most famous case.

Just rumour.

Dumbass -

I don't have independent substantiation, but an endocrinologist
relayed that story to me.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Dumbass -

You're usually better than this when it comes to sourcing your
information.

In grad school I had a prominent psychologist report the same thing in
a course on development, and I myself later used the same 'fact' when
teaching. *Right after I did that, it got me thinking - how do I know
that? *I did some research on it, and while the condition definitely
exists, there is no reliable evidence that JLC has ever disclosed it
about herself. *In that case, I informed my students in the next class
meeting that I had relayed information that I couldn't confirm, and
that, as a scientist, I shouldn't have done that.

This is a case where suspicion has turned into 'fact' because
authoritative people who ought to know better just keep relying on
each other as the source of the information.

-rj

You should not have used that info because you couldn't confirm it.
However, I did hear in fifth grade that Rod Stewart swallowed like a pint
of semen and had to get his stomach pumped at the hospital. *I forget the
name of the 11 year old kid who told me, but he seemed like a reliable
source at the time.

To this day, I treat that as a scientific fact. *Just like everyone in here
treat's the existence of a Sky Daddy as fact.

Magilla- Hide quoted text -

The story I remember was that he puked it up on stage while
performing.

Old December 2nd 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

wrote:
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
[...]

This: ...

If you want my body and you think I'm sexy
come on sugar let me know
If you really need me just reach out and touch me
come on honey tell me so

If you really need me just reach out and touch me
come on sugar let me know
If you really, really, really, really need me
just let me know
Just reach out and touch me
If you really want me
just reach out and touch me
come on sugar let me know
If you really need me just reach out and touch me
come on sugar let me know
If you, if you, if you really need me
just come on and tell me so
Old December 2nd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:28:11 -0800 (PST), ronaldo_jeremiah
wrote:
'fact'

Nuh uh, I read it on the internets, in writing, so it must be true.
Old December 3rd 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marty

wrote:
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
[...]

just come on and tell me so- Hide quoted text -

No, I think it was this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edz4Fd969Yg

Which of course has me thinking the story is not true. Then again,
his jump suit has me thinking it is true. So there ya go, it's just
like the "Lance is a doper" stuff.
--
Marty
Old December 3rd 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
[...]

You're right, but I'm going to use the excuse that this is rbr.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.
Old December 3rd 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

wrote:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
[...]

That was exactly my point, and the reason I corrected myself in the
very next class.

-rj
Old December 3rd 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kyle Legate

Robert wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message
"Ted van de Weteringe" wrote in message
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
Hermaphrodites. Jamie Lee Curtis is the most famous case.
Just rumour.

The one who would know is the guy who put his hand on her crotch at the
oscars. Now I know what that was about. I don't really follow tabloid
stuff.

It was George Cloney.

How many of them are there?
Old December 3rd 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Robert wrote:
It was George Cloney.

Kyle Legate wrote:
How many of them are there?

Just so long as there aren't any Britney Cloney's.