The Grant moves on

Old September 13th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

Default The Grant moves on

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 15:12:12 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

I can understand the RBT brainless trash being
amazed that everyone doesn't want precisely they bike they want,

Dude, you've ragged on bikes I like not for being wrong for you, but
for being wrong in general.

You're a hypocrite.
Old September 13th 09, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

wrote:
I can understand the RBT brainless trash being
amazed that everyone doesn't want precisely they bike they want,

Dude, you've ragged on bikes I like not for being wrong for you, but
for being wrong in general.

You're a hypocrite.

Shush--he's a conservator of the finest Herma, with coachlines and a
noseless "cheeks" saddle. Jute has tastes.
Old September 13th 09, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

but integrity, sadly, is not a thing the artless impostor ******* possesses.
Old September 13th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
" wrote:

On Sep 12, 4:58*am, Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT
wrote:
On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 03:18:15 -0700 (PDT), Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Sep 11, 10:03 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Seemingly fully recovered from his utter failure to put 650B
over on a credulous public, Papa Grant Peterson has a new
crusade: fighting the evils of carbon fiber racing bikes:

http://tinyurl.com/m72uga

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a Rivendell with brifters?

Marketing makes strange bedfellows........

Well, regardless of is marketing spiel, most stuff he sells works.
And that sort of bike with intregrated shifters is a useful thing.

I have one like it. It has a specialized allez frame with beautiful
lugs that cost me $150 new on ebay. It has a carbon fork and veloce
components. It works great and rides beautiful. But the total bike
was way under $1000.

Rather than the 2000 Rivendell frame, I'd buy a full carbon frame
fork from China or Taiwan for $500 or less. Unfortunately with
exception of Soma or ebay, fully lugged frames at reasonable prices
are hard to find.

CF has become the inexpensive option for lightweight frames before
decals are applied. Unfortunately many don't seem to last more than a
few years at least in desert climates. One brand of CF frames that
seems to last is Trek. There are a few OCLV from the 90s still out
there where I live.

Cheap, light, durable. Pick two.
Old September 13th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,

wrote:
I can understand the RBT brainless trash being amazed that
everyone doesn't want precisely they bike they want,

Dude, you've ragged on bikes I like not for being wrong for you,
but for being wrong in general.

You're a hypocrite.

Shush--he's a conservator of the finest Herma, with coachlines and a
noseless "cheeks" saddle. Jute has tastes.

And this month's flavor is "yuck."
Old September 13th 09, 01:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Sep 11, 9:39*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Seemingly fully recovered from his utter failure to put 650B over on a
credulous public, Papa Grant Peterson has a new crusade: fighting the
evils of carbon fiber racing bikes:
http://tinyurl.com/m72uga

I heard that steel was rigid yet flexible. Maybe we could
make bicycles with it?

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/

Or maybe draw some stainless steel wire, mushroom the end and then
bend it. Drill some holes in a hub, make a rim and reinvent the
'bicycle wheel'..OMG, what a concept!!

Nope, gotta be plastic, glue, black, red and white. Gotta be sloping
and oversized and whizbang. And gotta have those 'engineers' who fawn
over everything new at the fall bike shows....
Old September 13th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pdxrandonneur

On Sep 11, 8:03*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Seemingly fully recovered from his utter failure to put 650B over on a
credulous public, Papa Grant Peterson has a new crusade: fighting the
evils of carbon fiber racing bikes:

http://tinyurl.com/m72uga

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a Rivendell with brifters?

Brifters, threadless headset, 28mm tire clearance....is this a
"rivendell" at all?
Has grant sold out his own theology or was it all a cynical marketing
ploy to begin with?
And what the hell is up with the $150 mountain bars?

-Rando
Old September 13th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Still Just wrote:
For that matter, why would
anyone pay the outrageous cost of CF bikes,

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
CF bikes, like bikes of most materials, can be found at a lot of
different price points.

And surprisingly tough. Well, unless a wheel reflector comes
loose, that is:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg

And squirrels are a known "issue".

Old September 14th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:
Still Just wrote:
For that matter, why would
anyone pay the outrageous cost of CF bikes,

Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT wrote:
CF bikes, like bikes of most materials, can be found at a lot of
different price points.

And surprisingly tough. Well, unless a wheel reflector comes loose, that
is:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/trekaggr.jpg

And squirrels are a known "issue".

Ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

nate

(just made my own "wheel reflectors" from Scotchlite tape because I
couldn't bring myself to put those things on my wheels)

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 14th 09, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
pdxrandonneur wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:03*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Seemingly fully recovered from his utter failure to put 650B over
on a credulous public, Papa Grant Peterson has a new crusade:
fighting the evils of carbon fiber racing bikes:

http://tinyurl.com/m72uga

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that a Rivendell with brifters?

Brifters, threadless headset, 28mm tire clearance....is this a
"rivendell" at all? Has grant sold out his own theology or was it all
a cynical marketing ploy to begin with?

It's a sub-20 lb lugged steel bike for the "club racer" crowd. Grant
had sufficient requests to make him take the chance on doing a run of
this kind of thing.

And what the hell is up with the $150 mountain bars?]

You can always do what I do: don't buy the stuff that doesn't make
sense to you. I wonder what is up with $5000 full Dura-Ace CF bikes
under pot bellied old men- I saw hundreds of those today. I say "if you
want it and you can afford it, buy it."

OTOH I spent many hours riding my 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder this week
and had a bunch of great times. Best riding bike I have ever owned-
certainly better handling than the high-zoot Italian race bikes I have
owned and/or ridden. The guy understands frame design. At the end of
the day Petersen's products work and work well.

Except moustache bars. I was never able to get on with those.