Replace cantilevers with V brakes?

Old November 5th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Default Replace cantilevers with V brakes?

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this
actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?
Sure as long as you have a suitable lever and the clearances
aren't an issue.
AEBE I'd take the cantilever but both fit same mounts.

Ya, doesn't matter much. We just set up D.'s Cannondale with Alivio
cantis and Eagle IIs. Stops as nicely as 12 buck Tektro Vees, which is
to say--a lot better than it needs to. ;-)

I think it's the Eagle IIs that make the difference.

I changed my own Cannondale from some V-brakes back to the same cantis
it would have come with new - I think Tektro Oryx. Immediately
discovered why the PO had probably ditched them... braking a little
disappointing. Got some KS "cross pads" and started being able to pull
"stoppies." I'm definitely on board with Kool Stop now.

I'm just thinking of ditching the Tektro Oryx on my Dawes for some
mini V's. Any recommendations?
Old November 5th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 5, 12:31*am, Tosspot wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

Tektro stuff is fine. However, the minis limit your tire selection and
prevent the use of fenders due to the low cross wire. If you're
unhappy with the Oryx brakes--try a different set of brake shoes on
one end and see how that might help. If it's really the brake that
****es you off, try some different Tektro arms on there, like the more
traditional geometry of the CR720. IMHO, if you're going to go linear
pull brake, get the regular long arm Tektros--they're fantastic, but
do require a long pull lever.

Old November 5th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

I've heard negative comments about the Oryx before, but I bought them
before I knew better (I figured stock would be at least adequate... I
know, not always a good assumption.) I wasn't happy with them with
the Tektro pads but with Kool Stops I felt no need to go any farther.

nate
Old November 5th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

Yep, that seems to be the order of the day, so Kool Stop Salmons will
be ordered.
Old November 7th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pdxrandonneur

On Nov 4, 3:56*pm, landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 5:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually
the case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Yes.

BUT you run the risk of bottoming out your levers unless you change them
to match or use a "travel agent" (when I bought my Cannondale it had
V-brakes on it with Shimano road levers, I changed them back to cantis
so I could actually stop quickly.)

Tektro RL520 levers are $25 and pull vees or cable discs great. Much
comfier than the long pull Dia Compes, IMHO.

The performance on my RL520s was great, until they fell apart. I have
had both of the tektro road levers, the R200a and the RL520, fail
under the same conditions, within the same time frame and the same
way. First the quick release button eats a hole into the plastic body
and you are riding in quick release all the time. Next the plastic
body starts to disintegrate and the entire brake lever comes out. I am
a hard user, but that just means that I ride a lot and use my brakes a
lot, not that the brakes get smashed or beaten up. Both of the levers
failed within two years for simply being ridden on. The basic problem
is that brake levers should be made out of metal, not plastic. I
replaced the Tektros with the Dia Compes, and now wish I had bought
those first.

-Rando

Old November 7th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

That ain't necessarily so.....I just built up a ca 1992 C'dale T2000
touring frame using Tektro 926A mini-Vs. 35mm Paselas (on 622 rims)
and 45mm PB fenders - the wire easily clears the fender. (Now, using
any V brake in the front of this bike is a PIA due to the narrowness
of the Tange steel fork - but I prevailed.)

[...]
Old November 7th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Peter Cole wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

I've had the r200a's on two bikes with no problem. Probably not the
mileage as you, as both bikes have been fair weather rides in
retrospect--but I did manage to nearly wear out the hoods on a set
before I sold off that bike. Could it be the Portland grit, or what?
I'm no luddite and find no offense at the plastics--but I have and did
make a habit of lubing the bits quite regularly with the Dupont stuff.
Quick releases saw a good bit of use and I pushed and reinserted the
pivot pins a few times when I used them as dummy lever on a fixed
gear.

Still my favorite plain road levers, though I'm curious what your
variable in destruction was.
Old November 7th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

No kidding? My experience with these things is purely observational,
to be honest. The ones I've looked at have been on flat bar go fast
rigs. Usually with 28-32mm tires. Looked way too tight for fenders. So
much for observational skills. g

What's your opinion about brake levers appropriate to pull the little
forkers?
Old November 7th 09, 11:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Nov 6, 11:16 pm, landotter wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:11 pm, Ozark Bicycle

Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
[...]

There is no "kidding" on RBT! This is a serious forum where serious
folk share serious "facts" and "data" about serious bicycle matters.
Seriously! If you don't have the "facts" or the "data", don't post
here! g

My experience with these things is purely observational,
to be honest. The ones I've looked at have been on flat bar go fast
rigs. Usually with 28-32mm tires. Looked way too tight for fenders. So
much for observational skills. g

Clearance will be a matter of the location of the brake mounts. Most
OEM and aftermarket forks are probably fine in this regard. The rear
might be a crapshoot, depending on the frame.

What's your opinion about brake levers appropriate to pull the little
forkers?

The aforementioned C'dale uses vintage Shimano aero levers (BL-L331).
Another recent build uses the Tektro mini-Vs with ca 2006 Campy
Centaur Ergo levers. So, IME, regular ol' road levers work fine.

Old November 14th 09, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Lambert

Thanks for the advice. It's done. Rubbish cantis replaced by cheap V brakes.
Well, it's a sort of scrap heap challenge and not for me!