Lock Ring on Fixie??

Old August 18th 05, 12:12 PM
Gags

Default Lock Ring on Fixie??

As stated in a previous post, I recently joined the ranks of "those who own
a fixie" - does that make me a "fixee" or a "fixer"??

Anyways, the guy that I bought the bike off owns a bike shop in Lakes
Entrance (Bicycle Passion from memory) and has been riding fixed gear bikes
for years. The rear hub doesn't have a lock ring on it and the guy reckons
that this is good as it allows the cog to unscrew if you manage to lock up
your legs for whatever reason. I was a bit sceptical about this thinking
that it would unwind the first time I tried to control my speed down a hill
by resisting on the pedals but he reckons that I will apply much more
pressure climbing up a hill than I will resisting going down one and so it
is unlikely that the cog will unscrew. Anyone else running a setup like
this??

Also, I have only been for a couple of short rides up and down the street on
the new fixie and it is definately different. It is OK going uphill but I
found that trying to resist on downhill is a bit weird, and at this stage I
am not real good at trackstanding. I can generally trackstand OK on a
normal roadie but I am used to pedalling backwards slightly to get my feet
back into position without actually moving but of course this causes the
whole bike to go backwards. I guess that I need to setup in the right spot
and then rock back and forth slightly. I suggested this to one of the guys
who rides a SS to work and he said that he has seen a guy on a fixie at a
red light doing circles in reverse!!!!! I gotta learn how to do that!!!

Ride On,

Gags

Old August 18th 05, 12:43 PM
NoZX6R

Gags wrote:
[...]

don't worry about it Gags. I've been riding a rear hub that has no
lockring thread and the cog never moved. I've since changed to a record
hub but didn't bother to get a lockring. Once again, the cog hasn't moved.

Rocking backwards is something I'm still getting used to. Just keep
practicing, and maybe unclip one foot until you get more comfy with it.

Now riding your freewheel bikes is gonna feel very weird

--
Nick

Old August 18th 05, 01:12 PM
Koon Yong

Gags Wrote:
[...]

like
this??
Gags

Generally, the bike is the "FIXIE" and the rider is the "FIXER".

As for the lockring, it depends on how you ride. If you use you
brakes alot and don't resist the pedals, then I think no lockring i
OK. I need a lockring coz I rarely use the brake even though it'
physically there. In my experience, should you unintentionally loc
up your legs, you're more likely to be "thrown off" the bike then hav
the cog unscrew unless it was badly installed in the 1st place.

Koo

--
Koon Yong

Old August 18th 05, 01:46 PM
flyingdutch

woot!

im thinkin of draggin TB1 out next week if its dry (and warm, an
free-beer day, and...)

go study....

http://www.63xc.com/gregg/101_1.htm

PS simplest tip i can give is "don't think"

PPS The freewheeled bike WILL feel like the BB is broken or summa
after riding fixed. a wierd sensation..

--
flyingdutch

Old August 18th 05, 02:18 PM
Gumby

Gags wrote:
he has seen a guy on a fixie at a
red light doing circles in reverse!!!!!

I have gotta see that!
Old August 18th 05, 03:05 PM
Resound

"Gags" gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au wrote in message
[...]

I'm riding with no lockring and no problems, even though I'm using the brake
less and less as time goes by. I've found that if I brain fade and try to
coast standing up (usually if I've neglected the fixie for a while) it won't
even think about unscrewing, it just reminds me *very* pointedly that
coasting isn't allowed. Different gearing may change this. I'm running about
72-74" (not sure whether front chainring is 42t or 44t; haven't counted) but
I did unscrew it a couple of times when I had the 20t rear cog which
resulted in about 58" gearing. In other words shorter gearing could make it
easier to unscrew the rear cog due to better leverge. That could also have
been due to the not-quite-appropriate thread pitch though.

Old August 18th 05, 03:26 PM
Michael Warner

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:12:53 +1000, Gags wrote:

As stated in a previous post, I recently joined the ranks of "those who own
a fixie" - does that make me a "fixee" or a "fixer"??

It may make you one of those zealots who endlessly mock the last 70 or so
years of bicycle development :-)

Old August 18th 05, 11:27 PM
Brian Watson

http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/home.frame.html
Old August 18th 05, 11:49 PM
Brian Watson

Brian Watson wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Gags wrote:
he has seen a guy on a fixie at a

red light doing circles in reverse!!!!!

I have gotta see that!

http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/home.frame.html

Sorry - that link is bogus, try this one:

http://www.oldskooltrack.com/files/j...900.frame.html

Brian
Old August 19th 05, 02:15 AM
sinus

Gags Wrote:

The rear hub doesn't have a lock ring on it and the guy reckons tha
this is good as it allows the cog to unscrew if you manage to lock u
your legs for whatever reason.

snip

he reckons that I will apply much more pressure climbing up a hill tha
I will resisting going down one and so it is unlikely that the cog wil
unscrew.

Sounds like dodgy advice to me. Your cog will unscrew if your legs loc

up but it is unlikely to unsrew because of pressure from climbing. Huh

Locking legs up is something I have never heard anyone doing
Particularly not on a fixie

Unless you're running two brakes, use a lockring. If one brake fails
you need some sort of backup

--
sinus

WTB/T: Sugino Lock Ring Tool Mariano pacini Marketplace 0 September 22nd 05 06:55 PM
WTB: VAR 302 lock ring spanner mike anderson Marketplace 0 September 7th 05 04:40 PM
Gears making me lazy? EuanB Australia 17 August 18th 05 04:10 AM
First track session Tamyka Bell Australia 17 July 8th 05 12:33 PM
Campy cassettes w/o lock ring? Kovie Techniques 20 October 23rd 03 05:39 AM