Replacing retainer type ball bearings with loose

Old October 14th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Neptune

Default Replacing retainer type ball bearings with loose

This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would seem that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

Old October 15th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris

In the "old" days that was SOP to replace with no retainer and more balls.
Rule I think is to fill the race with balls and remove one.

Old October 15th 06, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Richard

. net...

"Neptune" wrote in message
This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo

hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose

balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would seem
that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

Why remove one?

Old October 15th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

Richard wrote:
. net...

"Neptune" wrote in message
This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo

hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose

balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would seem
that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

Why remove one?

You don't want them to touch, they will kill each other. When you put
in the axle and adjust, they travel 'up' the cup a bit and it'll be too
tight in there with 12 balls.

Old October 15th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Qui si parla Campagnolo aka Peter Chisholm wrote:

You don't want them [ball bearings] to touch, they will kill each other...

By fretting, spalling or brinnelling?

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old October 15th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Neptune wrote:
This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would seem that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

it's fine - go ahead and do it provided you don't over-fill. as you
suppose, there is a small theoretical improvement in load capacity and
it's common for different manufacturers to use caged and uncaged
configurations. caged sure is a lot more convenient for manufacturing.
Old October 15th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Richard wrote:
. net...

"Neptune" wrote in message
This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo

hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose

balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would seem
that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

Why remove one?

He meant to type "remove the cage and ADD one additional ball bearing".

What the original question asker wrote does not make sense. There is
no way you can remove the cage and add four extra ball bearings of the
same size. There is not that much extra room. Maybe he is replacing
the 7 1/4" bearings with 11 3/16" bearings. Or maybe he mistyped and
his rear hub with the cage has 9 1/4" bearings in the cage and he can
fit 11 1/4" bearings by making them rub against each other. That is
probably true. 7 bearings on the rear hub seems a bit too few.

Old October 15th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

wrote:

He meant to type "remove the cage and ADD one additional ball bearing".

No, he said, more or less, "remove the cage, add as many bearings as
the race will hold, then remove one."

Cages can be constructed so as to use as few as 1/2 the full capacity
of the cage, but most I've seen seem to be about 3/4ths. Only adding
one might be the case in some circumstances, but not always.

Oh, and you don't actually "add" any - you replace them all, using more
than had been there with the cage. Mixing old and new bearings isn't a
good idea unless you're forced to on the side of the Dawson highway or
something.

Old October 16th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Richard

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard wrote:
. net...

"Neptune" wrote in message
This may have been discussed before. On an old rear Campy Nuovo Tipo

hub,
that has 1/4 in. 7 ball retainer type bearings, I can fit 11 loose

balls
leaving a little slack. Any advantages or disadvantages? It would

seem
that
the load carrying ability would be increased, but maybe it's

negligible.
Anyone have an opinion? Thanks
Neptune

Why remove one?

You don't want them to touch, they will kill each other. When you put
in the axle and adjust, they travel 'up' the cup a bit and it'll be too
tight in there with 12 balls.

Loose balls are going to touch anyway. Having to many is an other problem. I
don't remember how many I have in mine, but I have no problems with it.

Need help - wheel bearings on Mag Wheel Jasper Janssen Techniques 0 October 20th 05 08:00 PM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
VDB admits doping...? HB Racing 123 October 9th 03 09:34 PM