"mountain" and "road" pedals

Old October 20th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Smokey

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road bikes. I
don't really want to buy two pairs of shoes or have to keep swapping cleats
over. I also want pedals that work with "walkable" shoes.

I'm thinking of just putting double-sided "mountain" type SPD pedals on both
bikes. They appeal because they're cheap and fit the requirements of only
needing one pair of shoes. Shimano's entry level M520 look OK, and the more
expensive models seems just to offer weight reduction, which I'm not all
that bothered about. Plus the double-sided thing sounds like a good idea
for the road as well as off it for getting in and out quickly at traffic
lights.

Will they cause any problems on the road bike? Really, I can't really see
there being all that much difference in the performance of pedals for
road/mountain use. I mostly do fairly fast riding at weekends, and some
light touring.

The only alternative I can find of road/mountain pedals that use the same
cleats is the Crank Bros ones. The egg beaters look very... interesting.
Maybe I'll try some one day.

On a related note, what makes the egg beaters "XC" pedals and not road
racing pedals? I'd have thought it'd road racers would take the reduced
weight version over the MTBers. What makes the nude egg beaters unsuited to
road cycling?

Thanks for any insight,
--
Jim

Another pedal that you might want to consider is the Time A.T.A.C. I
use these on both my mountain bike and my road bike (actually a Lemond
cyclocross bike). They have double-sided entry and I find them easier
to get into than the Shimano or Eggbeater pedals. They are very secure
once clipped in, and I have never had an accidental release. They can
be a little tougher to get out of when new, before the cleats have
broken in. After a few dozen releases, they loosen up. I've also found
them to be very durable, the ones on my mountain bike have been bashed
against logs and rocks many times, getting scratched up but otherwise
no worse for wear. The cleats can be set up for two different release
angles, 14 or 17 degrees, depending on which cleat is mounted on which
shoe. One cleat has a star on it, and for the 14 degree release angle
it goes on the left shoe. They are also very good in muddy conditions,
I've never had a problem getting into or out of them, even in thick MO
mud.

Smokey

Old October 20th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim Higson wrote:

[...]

http://tinyurl.com/ume8m

For a better look at the pedals, click on (PICTOVIEW).

http://tinyurl.com/yxfwd3
http://tinyurl.com/d8l3d

I find the Shimano 540 pedals and SH-TR50 meet your requirements.
These are marketed as triathlete shoes (suitable for running). I
like them for the recessed cleat and rubber soles that allow walking
like a human while not scratching floors.

From Cyclingnews:

# Last year's triathlon-specific models have been replaced with a trio
# of new models, including a top-end women's model. The SH-TR50 and
# SH-TR50W both incorporate new hollow channel carbon fiber soles plus
# new uppers that offer a faster entry and better fit than in previous
# models. The entry-level SH-TR30 offers a similar wide single-strap
# fit but with a more wallet-friendly injection-molded composite
# outsole.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 21st 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andy Morris writes:

I find the Shimano 540 pedals and SH-RT50 meet your requirements.
These are marketed as triathlete shoes (suitable for running). I
like them for the recessed cleat and rubber soles that allow walking
like a human while not scratching floors.

Do you mean SH-RT50?

I'm not shure I'd like to run far in them.

My spell checker did not find that transposition, but yes, as the web
site shows, you have the correct spelling. As for their usefulness
off the bicycle, I wear them to work all day and on trail rides in the
mountains that require substantial walking up and down hill.

Love this:

Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes:

Got that!

It's too bad MS hasn't picked up on that and put the fix in themselves.

Jobst Brandt
Old October 22nd 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marian

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals - power grips and bebops and money

* * Chas wrote:
"Marian" wrote in message

This year the road bike is gone, the eggbeaters are on the new

mountain
bike, and the replacement road bike is a beater that deliberately has
platform pedals. Around 70 or 80 kilometers on the platform pedals

and
the numbness in the little toe returns, but no problem with the
clipless.

-M

There are a number of things that could result in numbness in you toe.

Not in any particular order:

Shoes, a tight fitting shoe could cause pressure on the nerves or
partial loss of circulation that might not show up initially but develop
after riding for a period of time.

Hot Spots, pressure points caused by high spots on the surface of the
pedal that are part of the pedal design. These can cause localized
pressure resulting in discomfort on the bottom of the foot.

Narrow Pedals, a lot of road pedals are only 3" to 3 1/2" wide (75mm to
90mm). The strap can be causing pressure on the side of the foot.

These are _platform_ pedals. No clips, no straps, platform pedals.

The hot spots could be the issue, though it is strange that I've had it
on two different bikes, with different shoes, and different pedals, on
the same foot ...

-M

Old October 23rd 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Marian" wrote in message
oups.com...

* * Chas wrote:
"Marian" wrote in message

[...]

Hmm, I've had some shoes that were normally comfortable but after riding
for a while my little toe/toes or the next toe over would hurt, get numb
or cramp up.

Chas.

Chas.