"mountain" and "road" pedals

Old October 15th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default "mountain" and "road" pedals

landotter wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Ralph Hansell wrote:
I used to use MTB(SPD) pedals on all my bikes (Road, MTB, Touring)
until I started riding with a road group ride. We tend to get a little
competative on these rides sprinting town lines and racing to the top
of climbs. I had a few scary experiences with blowing out of my pedals
with my SPD pedals during town line sprints. SPD and MTP type pedals
tend to have less float and can release easier on the up-stroke than
road pedals. After nearly going down at 25mph+ on a sprint I decided to
get some road shoes and LOOK pedals. Since then I have never had an
issue with blowing out.

I don't agree.

Lou
--

seconded. That sounds like a big ole smear of brown roadie BS.Tighten
them down nicely and most spds will grip as well as any mere mortal

Racer wannabes don't like dual-sided SPDs because they are "for
mountain bikes" and because sponsored pros don't use them (not
realizing that sponsored pros ride whatever the sponsor supplies).
Watching recreational cyclists struggling to clip in to a one-sided
pedal and struggling to walk on big, slippery exposed cleats is a
source of amusement.

Old October 15th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

landotter wrote:

seconded. That sounds like a big ole smear of brown roadie BS.Tighten
them down nicely and most spds will grip as well as any mere mortal
will ever need. Unless you have special needs knees, don't **** away
your money on special needs pedals. The basic Shimanos, or even Wellgo
800s ($40), or the house branded Wellgos like Nashbar are great. Cleats
are ubiquitous and inexpensive as well.

I have tried a couple of Wellgo SPD "compatible" pedals in the past,
and had difficulty getting them to release Shimano SH-55 "M" cleats. I
have not had this issue with the same cleats in several different
Shimano pedals.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old October 15th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jim Higson wrote:
I'm looking to buy some clipless pedals for my mountain and road

bikes.

I mostly do fairly fast riding at weekends, and some
light touring.

You consider yourself a fairly fast rider on the weekends and you do
not already have clipless pedals on your bikes? I think the idea of
fairly fast is highly relevant. I suspect if you actually rode with
fairly fast people, you would have to change your opinion of how fast
you ride. I have not met any fairly fast riders in the past decade

who
were not using clipless pedals.

It's the motor.... not the machine!!!

How much faster are today's top pros than the iron men who rode with toe
clips during the previous 100 years?

I still ride with toe clips because I haven't found any clipless shoes
that comfortably fit my size 10 1/2 EEEE feet (size 44-45 ultra wide)!

I've been told that brand so-and-so shoes might fit but I'm not willing
to spend $200-$300 USD to find out how they work after an hour on the
bike.

I used to ride Cinelli clipless track pedals on long rides in the 70's
where there were very stops. It can be very uncomfortable when you pull
up to a stop and forget to release the locking pins!

Chas.

Old October 15th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
oups.com...

landotter wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Ralph Hansell wrote:
[...]

How much faster are today's top pros than the iron men who raced for the
previous 100 year before clipless pedals came out?

Old October 15th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" wrote in
message ups.com...

wrote:

Racer wannabes don't like dual-sided SPDs because they are "for
mountain bikes" and because sponsored pros don't use them (not
realizing that sponsored pros ride whatever the sponsor supplies).
Watching recreational cyclists struggling to clip in to a one-sided
pedal and struggling to walk on big, slippery exposed cleats is a
source of amusement.

Are there any shoes that combine a non-slippery walk-able sole,
recessed cleat, AND fit wide feet? The Shimano shoes Jobst likes look
promising, but my experience with Shimano shoes is that they are too
narrow in the toe box for my feet.

I have single-sided cleats on several of my bicycles (Shimano M-323

and
M-324 which have a "platform" back side) and do not have problems
clipping in. However, this is on various recumbent where the pedals
naturally hang at just the right angle and I can easily see both the
pedals and the road ahead of me. On uprights, I either use

double-sided
SPDs or Powergrips.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

I have the same issues with 10 1/2 EEEE (size 44-45 ultrawide) feet.
None of the clipless shoes I've tried so far fit comfortably. They are
either too narrow in the toes, too long, too short or not enough
clearance for my high arch.

I've been told that brand so-and-so shoes should fit but I'm not willing
to spend $200-$300 USD to find out whether they will be comfortable
after an hour or so of riding.

I currently ride with old Sakae LowFat MTB pedals on most of my bikes. I
had to file/grind the tops of the cages to allow me to comfortably
position my feet.

Chas.

Old October 15th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

* * Chas wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

landotter wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Ralph Hansell wrote:
[...]

.....and yer point is?

Old October 15th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

wrote:
* * Chas wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

landotter wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Ralph Hansell wrote:
[...]

....and yer point is?

The real only advantage of clips and straps over clipless is lower cost
and maintenance.

I will gladly take the increased cost and maintenance of clipless,
since it allows for "walk-able" shoes and greatly reduces (at least for
me) fall-over accidents due to a foot being trapped in a pedal (this
has happened to me on several occasions, even with the straps
loosened).

When I want simplicity, low cost, and the ability to ride with
non-cycling specific shoes, I will use pedal with Powergrips.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old October 15th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 15 Oct 2006 13:43:27 -0700, "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman"
wrote:

The real only advantage of clips and straps over clipless is lower cost
and maintenance.

It's easier to ride vigorously in street shoes or sneakers with clips
and straps.
--
JT
Old October 15th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

The real only advantage of clips and straps over clipless is lower cost
and maintenance.

It's easier to ride vigorously in street shoes or sneakers with clips
and straps.

More so than Powergrips?

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.