Replace cantilevers with V brakes?

Old November 4th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bob Lambert

Default Replace cantilevers with V brakes?

The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Old November 4th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Sure as long as you have a suitable lever and the clearances
aren't an issue.
AEBE I'd take the cantilever but both fit same mounts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 4th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Yes.
Old November 4th 09, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually
the case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Yes.

BUT you run the risk of bottoming out your levers unless you change them
to match or use a "travel agent" (when I bought my Cannondale it had
V-brakes on it with Shimano road levers, I changed them back to cantis
so I could actually stop quickly.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old November 4th 09, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 4, 5:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually
the case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Yes.

BUT you run the risk of bottoming out your levers unless you change them
to match or use a "travel agent" (when I bought my Cannondale it had
V-brakes on it with Shimano road levers, I changed them back to cantis
so I could actually stop quickly.)

Tektro RL520 levers are $25 and pull vees or cable discs great. Much
comfier than the long pull Dia Compes, IMHO.
Old November 5th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually
the case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?
Yes.

BUT you run the risk of bottoming out your levers unless you change them
to match or use a "travel agent" (when I bought my Cannondale it had
V-brakes on it with Shimano road levers, I changed them back to cantis
so I could actually stop quickly.)

Tektro RL520 levers are $25 and pull vees or cable discs great. Much
comfier than the long pull Dia Compes, IMHO.

You're ASSuming he doesn't have brifters. But yes, I have no experience
actually using them, but I have whatever the short pull version of those
brakes are laying around here somewhere and they look very nice, sturdy
and comfortable - and the price was astonishing. They even have a QR
built in. The only reason I didn't use 'em was because I found a pair
of NOS Dia-Compe non-aero levers for even less, and using cantis I
didn't need the QR.

I also have some matching Tektro wide cantis, price was equally
astonishing, just so I'd have them in case I found a problem with my
original Dia-Compe brakes. I think all in for the complete braking
system I paid $50 or so. How do they make it so cheap? Hell, a set of
Kool-Stop pads would about double the value of the setup.

nate

Old November 5th 09, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 4, 4:37*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Sure as long as you have a suitable lever and the clearances
aren't an issue.
AEBE I'd take the cantilever but both fit same mounts.

Ya, doesn't matter much. We just set up D.'s Cannondale with Alivio
cantis and Eagle IIs. Stops as nicely as 12 buck Tektro Vees, which is
to say--a lot better than it needs to. ;-)

Old November 5th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Nov 4, 4:37 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Bob Lambert wrote:
The mounting points look to be in a similar position. Is this actually the
case and is the threading the same. In short, can you take off the
cantilevers and mount V brakes?

Sure as long as you have a suitable lever and the clearances
aren't an issue.
AEBE I'd take the cantilever but both fit same mounts.

Ya, doesn't matter much. We just set up D.'s Cannondale with Alivio
cantis and Eagle IIs. Stops as nicely as 12 buck Tektro Vees, which is
to say--a lot better than it needs to. ;-)

I think it's the Eagle IIs that make the difference.

I changed my own Cannondale from some V-brakes back to the same cantis
it would have come with new - I think Tektro Oryx. Immediately
discovered why the PO had probably ditched them... braking a little
disappointing. Got some KS "cross pads" and started being able to pull
"stoppies." I'm definitely on board with Kool Stop now.

nate

Old November 5th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

I replaced the canti's on my Schwinn tourer with linear pulls (generic
name for V-brakes). they work ok with a cable pull enhancer
(A.K.A.Travel Agent). even better when paired with the enhanced pull of
Dia Compe cantilever or linear pull levers.

What I have now is a linear pull specially made for road bikes,
manufactured by Tektro:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ni+L-Pull.aspx

"Mini-Lini's" I call them. I still use the Travel Agent on the rear to
make up for cable stretch, but the front runs straight trough on the big
pulley only, it doesn't need any enhancement. I'm using the Dia Compe
Cantilever model levers, and neither one bottoms out unless I squeeze
the hand levers with suicidal force. They work great, it takes very
squeeze to stop the bike with these.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Old November 5th 09, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
It's Chris

Group: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, Nov 4, 2009, 7:06pm
From: (Nate*Nagel)

You're ASSuming he doesn't have
brifters.

You mean some people actually still use those silly things ;-3) JK

- -