Newtouni: Progress Report

Old February 17th 04, 07:27 AM
Klaas Bil

Default Newtouni: Progress Report

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 17:57:35 -0600, newtouni wrote:

I have about 1.5 hours
practice time in so my progress may be a bit slow based on comments I
have heard here.

On the contrary, your progress is in the 'upper half'. If you keep
this practicing schedule, you'll be riding around the block in about a
week.

Question: Is learning in the grass easier or harder?

Harder. Concrete is easier but might be frightening. I learned on a
gym floor which I think is the ideal surface to learn on.

While concrete is harder than grass, grass is harder to learn on. :-)

Sorry for the boring reports

No no, keep them coming.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

Old February 17th 04, 01:07 PM
GILD

newtouni wrote:
* I even pedaled out of an off balance or two. *

to me, that was the key
once i found myself pedalling out of off-balance situations, i found the
time between off-balances slowly increased and the time to correct them
started decreasing
eventually these merge in to seamless riding
u r really close
keep smiling

and yeah, keep the progress reports coming

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

'SPACESHIP EARTH' (http://www.therainforestsite.com/home)

Namaste!
Dave

Old February 17th 04, 04:11 PM
randonneur

Don't worry about the concrete, just wear wrist guards with the plastic
inserts to protect your palms. You'll almost always land on your feet,
and the rest of the time you'll land on your palms - no harm done. My
worst falls have been trying to power out of the "dead zone" of pedal
position, 6 and 12 o'clock. Sometimes the wheel goes forward and all is
well, but sometimes it goes in reverse and you're on the ground before
you can think - on your palms if your reactions are good. Concrete is
way easier, IMHO, and a slight down hill makes starting a bit easier,
especially when learning to freemount. BTW, I'm 59, so get over tha age
thing.

--
randonneur - Improving unicyclist
randonneur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4481

Old February 17th 04, 05:51 PM
fluffinator007

As for the 6\12 position dead zone, if this bothers you which it might
on some occasions. And if you find it to be a problem you try to notice
when its about to happen and sort of lean your body backwards to get the
wheel moving and then you can recover. hard to explain but in no time
at all it will become natural and you wont notice it. I had the dead
zone problem both when i was first learning to ride and when i was first
learning to 1-foot ride.

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist

My image was voted out.
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Newtouni: Day Two newtouni Unicycling 8 February 15th 04 04:03 PM
Progress Report Catboy Unicycling 3 February 1st 04 07:54 AM
Knee surgery progress report jpcycler Unicycling 35 January 19th 04 02:28 PM