HOT today

Old August 10th 03, 01:54 AM
Jim Price

Default HOT today

Niv wrote:

Just done a 45 mile round trip, really quite slowly at about 14.3mph ave.
I drank over 3 litres of fluids & am still thirsty.

My total for today is way over five litres.

Polar HRM said temp varied between 90F & 101F !!!

Your heart is oscillating between hypothermia and fever!!!

Global warming or what.

What. Just wait for Sunday's temperatures. The forecast is suggesting a
50/50 chance of the highest temperature ever recorded here. I have
filled the fridge with water and juice. Now all I have to do is try and
get some sleep.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old August 10th 03, 10:25 AM
Doesnotcompute

Jim Price wrote:

Global warming or what.

What. Just wait for Sunday's temperatures. The forecast is suggesting a
50/50 chance of the highest temperature ever recorded here. I have
filled the fridge with water and juice. Now all I have to do is try and
get some sleep.

Hahahaha - It's absolutely chucking it down here and has been for hours.
Constant thunder rumbling away but no lightning to speak of.

It's nicer than the stickiness we suffered yesterday, but it's killed my
chances of a pleasure ride.

--
Dnc

Old August 10th 03, 11:47 AM
Pete

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:29:06 +0100, Doesnotcompute
wrote:

Stop Press! The sun has broken through and the rain has stopped -
perhaps i will get out later after all

Where are you dnc? It's still chucking it down here (west of
Newcastle on Tyne). Supposed to be cycling to coast to meet up for
'family outing' but they've just phoned to say Metro has been stopped
by fault caused by lightning.
No signs of anything other than rain at the mo :-(

Pete

Old August 10th 03, 11:49 AM
Doesnotcompute

wrote:

Stop Press! The sun has broken through and the rain has stopped -
perhaps i will get out later after all

Where are you dnc? It's still chucking it down here (west of
Newcastle on Tyne). Supposed to be cycling to coast to meet up for
'family outing' but they've just phoned to say Metro has been stopped
by fault caused by lightning.
No signs of anything other than rain at the mo :-(

T'other side of t'country - Preston Lancs. (although I'm actually a
suvverna

It's a bit overcast again now, but still not raining - bodes well.
Hope it eases off your side - I'll forgo my leaisure ride for you to
have a family outing.

--
Dnc

Old August 10th 03, 12:04 PM
Pete

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:49:52 +0100, Doesnotcompute
wrote:

It's a bit overcast again now, but still not raining - bodes well.
Hope it eases off your side - I'll forgo my leaisure ride for you to
have a family outing.

Very kind of you, thanks. However as it's still raining and the pub
opening time is here, I may decide not to waste the whole day and have
a couple of beers and watch the footy.
Doesn't appeal as much as going out tho'. I'll decide in the next half
hour. I don't mind getting wet going there as long it'll be fine when
I arrive.

Pete

Old August 10th 03, 12:21 PM
Taywood

T'other side of t'country - Preston Lancs. (although I'm actually a
suvverna

Just west of you I set off about 7am expecting the cloud to clear
as it did each day for me last week in Scotland.

Instead of clearing it rained, heavy, and I'm off road in the back
country area we call Over Wyre - with no waterproofs.

I finally reached a former neighbours house and when he stopped
laughing he gave me a towel and dry clothes. I left the bike there
and he dropped me off on their way to church.
After lunch I'll drive over for the bike.
Mike

Old August 10th 03, 12:36 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

It's still chucking it down here (west of
Newcastle on Tyne).

Bonnie laad, can ye send some ofit doon t'Norfolk like?

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 10th 03, 02:51 PM
Nick Kew

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Jim Price wrote:

What. Just wait for Sunday's temperatures. The forecast is suggesting a
50/50 chance of the highest temperature ever recorded here.

Where's "here"? Bet it's not as hot as my attic[1] with the sun beating
down. Outside is still a lot cooler than a hot day in Italy, but inside
is probably warmer - over there they design for hot weather.

I have
filled the fridge with water and juice.

I just got some bottles of Weizenbier - superb for the Bavarian summer,
where they have more of this weather than we do. My fridge already
contained water and juice, as it always does:-)

Now all I have to do is try and
get some sleep.

Last night, with the heat of the day turning to warm-bath fug[2] and
declining to cool off decently, was the first time the weather in
the UK has recalled to me the most unpleasant aspect of Italian
summer. But it wasn't really that bad: it was clearly below 25 by
midnight, and had cleared nicely before morning.

Worst of all, my b***** puncture. With the metal rim heat-expanded,
I had great trouble getting the tyre off. So I left it until two
in the morning, and it was still a bugger! But it's well worth it
if I can go for a swim at high tide this afternoon.

[1] or in other words, my flat.
[2] which I presume gives us the etymology of malaria.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8
Old August 10th 03, 06:35 PM
Arthur Clune

Cicero wrote:

: If you're drinking that much in about 3 hours you could be putting yourself
: in danger. There was something in the news recently about excessive fluid
: intake. Apparently it can damage the body's electrolyte or salt levels and
: is almost as bad as a drinking binge on alcoholic drinks. Perhaps somebody
: can add more detail as this could be a serious problem for many people in
: this hot weather. I certainly never drank 3 litres during any marathons
: even in the hottest weather.

On a bike you can sweat serious buckets and lose lots of water via evaporative
cooling (since you always have a self-generated cooling wind).

I work one one large water bottle/hr in the summer. Maybe a bit more in
the extreme stuff we've been having recently (one large bottle = 750ml).

I had two bottles in 43 miles on Saturday (just over 2 hours (19.8 mph))
and would have stopped to buy some water if I wasn't near home and the
end of ride.

My legs hurt today mind

Arthur

Old August 11th 03, 04:48 AM
Tony W

"Cicero" wrote in message

I understand what you're saying but the point is that you may not need to
replace immediately what you lose, and in fact it may be dangerous to do

so.
The links cited by 'Fraggle' (above 09/08/2003, 23.09) give a pretty good
idea of the problem. It's sensible to be aware of the dangers even if

you're
happy with your present intake. People doing heavy exercise are

recommended
to 'listen to your body' but we can sometimes get it wrong. When there is
strong medical opinion on the subject it's worth taking another look at

the
evidence.

Since the 'overdrinking' is related to over dilution of, or rather messing
up the balance of body salts and given the initial examples were where
people over dehydrated then massively over 'rehydrated' wouldn't it make
more sense to firstly, try to keep yourself reasonably well hydrated during
the exercise (Lance Armstrong -- take note) and then drink an isotonic
mixture after the event. My personal favourite is 50/50 OJ and water with a
pinch of salt thrown in if I've been sweating particularly hard.

As Arthur says -- its not necessary to drink all the losses back straight
away.

On a cycling holiday in India (where it was hot even by the standards of
this week and where Delhi belly could lead to further rapid dehydration
:-{ ) our guide suggested a rule of thumb -- you should drink enough that
you still pee regularly and when you pee you produce a good amount and it
flows a nice light clear colour. If you can only **** an egg cup full of
dark stuff once a week you ain't drinking enough.

Unscientific but it seems to work.

An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
LA power up the mountain today ?? [email protected] Racing 0 July 21st 04 06:53 PM
It came today! elmer Unicycling 13 April 28th 04 06:30 PM
Read & retch: interview on "Today" w/ celeb driver-killer of cyclist. BikeAdman Social Issues 3 November 19th 03 07:17 AM