HOT today

Old August 11th 03, 09:56 AM
Peter Connolly

Default HOT today

On a cycling holiday in India (where it was hot even by the standards of
this week and where Delhi belly could lead to further rapid dehydration
:-{ ) our guide suggested a rule of thumb -- you should drink enough that
you still pee regularly and when you pee you produce a good amount and it
flows a nice light clear colour. If you can only **** an egg cup full of
dark stuff once a week you ain't drinking enough.

....not really a rule of *thumb*....

...I'll get me coat...

Pete.

Old August 11th 03, 12:58 PM
Cicero

"Tony W" wrote in message

"Cicero" wrote in message

I understand what you're saying but the point is that you may not need

replace immediately what you lose, and in fact it may be dangerous to do

so.
The links cited by 'Fraggle' (above 09/08/2003, 23.09) give a pretty

good
idea of the problem. It's sensible to be aware of the dangers even if

you're
happy with your present intake. People doing heavy exercise are

recommended
to 'listen to your body' but we can sometimes get it wrong. When there

is
strong medical opinion on the subject it's worth taking another look at

the
evidence.

Since the 'overdrinking' is related to over dilution of, or rather messing
up the balance of body salts and given the initial examples were where
people over dehydrated then massively over 'rehydrated' wouldn't it make
more sense to firstly, try to keep yourself reasonably well hydrated

during
the exercise (Lance Armstrong -- take note) and then drink an isotonic
mixture after the event. My personal favourite is 50/50 OJ and water with

pinch of salt thrown in if I've been sweating particularly hard.

As Arthur says -- its not necessary to drink all the losses back straight
away.

On a cycling holiday in India (where it was hot even by the standards of
this week and where Delhi belly could lead to further rapid dehydration
:-{ ) our guide suggested a rule of thumb -- you should drink enough that
you still pee regularly and when you pee you produce a good amount and it
flows a nice light clear colour. If you can only **** an egg cup full of
dark stuff once a week you ain't drinking enough.

Unscientific but it seems to work.

==========
I agree about keeping 'reasonably well hydrated' during exercise. As I
understand it the danger comes from the loss of 'salts' etc. These are lost
through sweating and what's left can become dangerously diluted by
excessive water intake. It really boils down to what is necessary to make
sure one keeps reasonably hydrated without taking in an unnecessary and
possibly dangerous amount of water.

I personally would find 5 pints (3 Litres) excessive but the OP was left
thirsty so I suppose it's up to the individual to find their own threshhold.

Cic.

Old August 11th 03, 08:54 PM
Jim Price

Scrumpy Joe wrote:

Jim Price wrote:

Scrumpy Joe wrote:

LOL. Everyday is a 50/50 chance of hitting the highest temperatures ever
recorded. Couldn't they give better odds than that!

Have they only just installed the weather station where you live?

Huh! My point is that the odds of beating the temperature record on days like
today should be better than evens. Even odds is just plain sitting on the
fence.

It depends on whether you're running a betting shop or using it as a
figurative expression, I suppose. Weather forecasting still can't say
exactly what will happen - although they are a damn site better
nowadays. I took the 50/50 to mean "it will either happen or it won't,
but it will be a damn close run thing". In the event, it happened, but
not by much, and not everywhere. So I think they called it about right,
given that the peak temperature is a bit of a freak result anyway.

Is there something you dislike intensely about sitting on the fence with
something like a prediction? Do you think they should have gone 80/20
and fired the meteorologist responsible if they got it wrong?

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Old August 12th 03, 10:32 PM
jeronimo

if going by the 1/4 pint/hour formula, why then do you see Lance
Armstrong and Co. constantly taking in fluid?

On my run on Sunday (fairly hot) I consumed the 2 bottles, and nearer
the end I felt as though another 250ml would ahve been right as I had
started feeling signs of dehydration. These signs are there for a
reason, they cannot be ignored by simply kidding your body/mind on
that they don't need fluids.

BTW I have been doing the same distance now for over 4 years, and
consumed the same amount of fluid each time - I have been dehydrated 2
times before and never wish to feel anything like it again.

Regards

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:46:15 +0100, Jim Price
wrote:

Nick Kew wrote:

In article , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Jim Price wrote:
What. Just wait for Sunday's temperatures. The forecast is suggesting a
50/50 chance of the highest temperature ever recorded here.

Where's "here"?

London is my "here" at the moment. I did go to Kent on Wednesday,
expecting cooler temperatures. The intention was to help a friend do
some stuff on a black painted steel hulled ketch. Bad move. Yesterday
Kent took the UK highest temperature record.

Bet it's not as hot as my attic[1] with the sun beating
down. Outside is still a lot cooler than a hot day in Italy, but inside
is probably warmer - over there they design for hot weather.

I've been to Italy in January - lovely weather then. Clam pasta on the
beach with a Peroni beer...

I just got some bottles of Weizenbier - superb for the Bavarian summer,
where they have more of this weather than we do. My fridge already
contained water and juice, as it always does:-)

Indeed, I've discovered the joys of Weissbier[1] et al on the
German/Austrian border.
Your fridge reminds me of a joke about an Irishman with 3 wishes....

But it's well worth it if I can go for a swim at high tide this afternoon.

So your here is by the sea?

[1] or in other words, my flat.

Not your puncture...

[2] which I presume gives us the etymology of malaria.

Bad air would be a literal translation. It amuses me that malaria is one
of the few words where you can almost get away with confusing etymology
with entymology.

[1]Weissbier, weizenbier - what is the difference?

Regards
Old August 13th 03, 12:58 AM
Steph Peters

Jim Price of wrote:
[1]Weissbier, weizenbier - what is the difference?

Weissbier = white beer, a speciality from Berlin, served with a shot of red
or green syrupy stuff in, yukk.
Weizenbier = wheat beer. Usually fermented in bottle, comes either Hefe =
cloudy or Krystal = clear. Wonderful stuff brewed in Bavaria and Austria.
If you can't get the real stuff, Sainsbury's own brand wheat beer is a good
imitation, avoid Tesco's own brand version at all costs.

Just to drag this vaguely towards being on topic, I drank lots of Weizenbier
in Austria last month on holiday. A large glass is a good incentive to get
me up that last mountain of the day.
--
"Your depression will be added to my own" Marvin of Borg
Steph Peters delete invalid from lid
Old August 13th 03, 09:45 AM
Dave Larrington

Steph Peters wrote:

Weizenbier = wheat beer. Usually fermented in bottle, comes either
Hefe = cloudy or Krystal = clear. Wonderful stuff brewed in Bavaria
and Austria.

Also comes as "dunkel" = dark.

ob_bicycle
My bikes share the shed with three and a half (empty) crates of the stuff.
Can't decide whether to lug them down to Friedrichshafen to get the money
back or just take them to the tip.
/ob_bicycle

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 13th 03, 11:38 AM
Jim Price

Steph Peters wrote:
Jim Price of wrote:

[1]Weissbier, weizenbier - what is the difference?

Weissbier = white beer, a speciality from Berlin, served with a shot of red
or green syrupy stuff in, yukk.
Weizenbier = wheat beer. Usually fermented in bottle, comes either Hefe =
cloudy or Krystal = clear. Wonderful stuff brewed in Bavaria and Austria.

In that case, I must have been drinking Hefe Weizenbier in between
climbing mountains.

Old August 13th 03, 03:13 PM
Anders HJ

I certainly never drank 3 litres during any marathons
even in the hottest weather.

During the TDF there was an interview in the danish television about
how much water they drank on the way. They were supposed to dring one
of there bottles every 15 minutes. I supose thats about 2 liters per
hour.

I also remember some years ago, when I was running (orienteering (?)).
That was a very hot summer and the elite runners (thats not me) were
drinking about 13 liters per day to keep going.

Just a few small stories from life :-)

Anders
Old August 13th 03, 05:32 PM
Cicero

"Anders HJ" wrote in message
om...
I certainly never drank 3 litres during any marathons
even in the hottest weather.

During the TDF there was an interview in the danish television about
how much water they drank on the way. They were supposed to dring one
of there bottles every 15 minutes. I supose thats about 2 liters per
hour.

I also remember some years ago, when I was running (orienteering (?)).
That was a very hot summer and the elite runners (thats not me) were
drinking about 13 liters per day to keep going.

Just a few small stories from life :-)

Anders

==========
Marathon 'feeding stations' are usually at 3 mile intervals, the first being
at the 3 mile stage. That usually makes 8 stations. I would drink a cupful
(about ¼ pint) at each station making a total intake of about 2 pints. There
would also be wet sponges available at each station for cooling purposes and
my experience is that the cooling from the sponges was just as important as
drinking. I was never an elite runner but I could never have taken in 13
litres (nearly 23 pints) - I would have drowned!

Perhaps cyclists should carry a bucket of water and a sponge with them!

Cic.

An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
LA power up the mountain today ?? [email protected] Racing 0 July 21st 04 06:53 PM
It came today! elmer Unicycling 13 April 28th 04 06:30 PM
Read & retch: interview on "Today" w/ celeb driver-killer of cyclist. BikeAdman Social Issues 3 November 19th 03 07:17 AM