Winter's back

Old March 27th 05, 05:50 PM
Simon Mason

Default Winter's back

Two days ago I was cycling to work on my summer bike in shorts and thin long
sleeved jersey in lovely sunshine around 18 C. This morning, since the
clocks went forward, I had to get up at the "real time" of 0415 and it was
only 4C , pouring with rain, pitch black and with a cold east wind.

All my winter gear had been put away in the sad belief that the winter had
been seen off. Wrong! On with 3 layers and out with the "tank" for the 12
mile grind to the salt mines :-(

Then I found that the webspace provider that has 700 MB of my files has done
a midnight flit.

Still, a call to my ISP, a quick upgrade to a stonking 3 Mbps broadband
account and I can shift the 700 MB to another webspace provider in around 30
mins. Only thing is, I've got to write 2000 new shortcut names. :-(

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Old March 27th 05, 06:06 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Simon Mason wrote:
Two days ago I was cycling to work on my summer bike in shorts and
thin long sleeved jersey in lovely sunshine around 18 C. This
morning, since the clocks went forward, I had to get up at the "real
time" of 0415 and it was only 4C , pouring with rain, pitch black and
with a cold east wind.

All my winter gear had been put away in the sad belief that the
winter had been seen off. Wrong! On with 3 layers and out with the
"tank" for the 12 mile grind to the salt mines :-(

Then I found that the webspace provider that has 700 MB of my files
has done a midnight flit.

Still, a call to my ISP, a quick upgrade to a stonking 3 Mbps
broadband account and I can shift the 700 MB to another webspace
provider in around 30 mins. Only thing is, I've got to write 2000 new
shortcut names. :-(

Time to learn a scripting language. If you have the bent.

Old March 27th 05, 07:41 PM
Simon Brooke

in message ,
Ambrose Nankivell ') wrote:

Time to learn a scripting language. If you have the bent.

I know lots of scripting languages, and I would love a 'bent...

;; Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us
;; many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets.
;; Imagination without skill gives us modern art.
;; Tom Stoppard, Artist Descending A Staircase
Old March 27th 05, 07:55 PM
wafflycat

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Two days ago I was cycling to work on my summer bike in shorts and thin
long sleeved jersey in lovely sunshine around 18 C. This morning, since
the clocks went forward, I had to get up at the "real time" of 0415 and it
was only 4C , pouring with rain, pitch black and with a cold east wind.

'Twas decidedly foggy first thing here in Deepest Rural Norfik. The Unfit
Family had to be up & out as Nathan was scheduled to do a 26 mile 2-up time
trial this morning. As it was about 10 miles to the HQ, Nathan cycled over
with Vernon to get a decent gentle warm-up to his legs. Once there he met up
with his team-mate & cycling mentor, Dave, and had a serious warm-up. Vernon
& cycled to one of the turns which we were marshalling for the event. It was
getting a tad chilly standing on the corner for an hour!

Cheered Nathan & Dave along as they did the 2-lap circuit and pleased with
time of 1.05.47 for Nathan, as he learnt a lot from Dave about cycling
technique, which was the purpose of the morning. Seems Dave was pleased with
Nathan's efforts for the morning, so I have a very happy son, albeit a
knackered one ;-)

I cycled home after the event, so I probably put in a gentle 18-20 miles
today, which justifies my evening treat of a glass of Nuits St Georges
(prob. spelt that wrong!)

All my winter gear had been put away in the sad belief that the winter had
been seen off. Wrong! On with 3 layers and out with the "tank" for the 12
mile grind to the salt mines :-(

Then I found that the webspace provider that has 700 MB of my files has
done a midnight flit.

Still, a call to my ISP, a quick upgrade to a stonking 3 Mbps broadband
account and I can shift the 700 MB to another webspace provider in around
30 mins. Only thing is, I've got to write 2000 new shortcut names. :-(

Best of luck!

Cheers, helen s

Old March 27th 05, 10:27 PM
Phil Cook

Simon Mason wrote:

Two days ago I was cycling to work on my summer bike in shorts and thin long
sleeved jersey in lovely sunshine around 18 C. This morning, since the
clocks went forward, I had to get up at the "real time" of 0415 and it was
only 4C , pouring with rain, pitch black and with a cold east wind.

All my winter gear had been put away in the sad belief that the winter had
been seen off. Wrong! On with 3 layers and out with the "tank" for the 12
mile grind to the salt mines :-(

"Cast ne'r a clout 'till May be out."

The May in question being the hawthorn flowers.

I'll be back in the dark on Tuesday. I hate this clocks forward thing
- it was just getting light at six.
Old March 28th 05, 07:03 AM
Ambrose Nankivell

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message ,
Ambrose Nankivell ') wrote:

Time to learn a scripting language. If you have the bent.

I know lots of scripting languages, and I would love a 'bent...

Yeah, damned hard to hit the right keys unless you're on a 'bent. Whatever
you're trying to type ends up like Perl.

Old March 28th 05, 10:13 AM
David Martin

On 28/3/05 7:03 am, in article
, "Ambrose Nankivell"
wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message ,
Ambrose Nankivell ') wrote:

Time to learn a scripting language. If you have the bent.

I know lots of scripting languages, and I would love a 'bent...

Yeah, damned hard to hit the right keys unless you're on a 'bent. Whatever
you're trying to type ends up like Perl.

Even scarier is that if it was Perl it would probably run, though do
something totally weird..

...d

Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
Armstrong's back Ken Very Big Liar Racing 6 June 28th 04 08:09 AM
back from Vancouver Claire Petersky General 4 April 6th 04 06:01 AM
exercises for back Matthew General 6 December 15th 03 08:55 PM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM