Australian Helmet standards

Old September 19th 05, 06:08 AM
Walrus

Default Australian Helmet standards

I was at Richmond Cyclery on the weekend with a mate looking at helmets.
My mate comments that he wants a Giro Pneumo like I have. The sales guy
butts in and says "You need to be careful with Giro's and some other
helmets. For a while now, some manufacturers haven't exported to
Australia because they have to pay for the Australian standard to be
applied." He then added that "If you have a crash with a helmet that is
not to Australian standards, you may not be covered on insurance."

A quick search located this website http://tinyurl.com/bjvgp which
clearly states that -"The Australian Road Rules clearly demand that a
bicycle helmet must meet the Australian / New Zealand Standards. The
AS/NZ 2063 Standard *does not* recognise any other standard helmet from
any other country. Accordingly, only helmets that meet and carry the AS/
NZ Standards approval are permitted for use on Australian Roads –
including road races conducted under the auspices of CA and its
affiliates."-

I got my Giro off eBay, so there is a US standards sticker on it. It
has a CPSC standard approval on it, which I assume is the US
equivalent.

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

--
Walrus

Old September 19th 05, 06:29 AM
Bleve

Walrus wrote:
[...]

NFI re insurance, but it's illegal to use a non-approved helmet.

The bike shop you got the helmet from (assuming that was in Australia)
should have told you that.

Old September 19th 05, 06:30 AM
Joel Mayes

Walrus wrote:

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I'd say yes, the law is pretty clear. You could also get fined for not
wearing a helmet

Cheers

Joel
Old September 19th 05, 06:38 AM
GPLama

"Walrus" wrote in message ...

..snip..
Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I got a Limar 909 off Ebay a while back.. after finding the right size at a
local LBS.. the box and booklet came with the Aussie certification tick
indicating it meets Australian standards. Although the helmet itself does
not have that little sticker.

Must be an expensive little sticker that one, I got the helmet $100 cheaper
from Ebay..

cheers,
GPL

Old September 19th 05, 06:43 AM
Marty Wallace

Joel Mayes wrote:
Walrus wrote:

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I'd say yes, the law is pretty clear. You could also get fined for not
wearing a helmet

Cheers

Joel

If you're riding in a triathlon the rules state you can use a helmet
which is approved for road use in a country which is affiliated with the
International Triathlon Union (ITU).

Marty
Old September 19th 05, 06:51 AM
Walrus

Bleve Wrote:

NFI re insurance, but it's illegal to use a non-approved helmet.

The bike shop you got the helmet from (assuming that was in Australia)
should have told you that.

I got it on eBay...

--
Walrus

Old September 19th 05, 06:58 AM
Bleve

Marty Wallace wrote:
Joel Mayes wrote:
Walrus wrote:

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I'd say yes, the law is pretty clear. You could also get fined for not
wearing a helmet

Cheers

Joel

If you're riding in a triathlon the rules state you can use a helmet
which is approved for road use in a country which is affiliated with the
International Triathlon Union (ITU).

The tri associaton must be run by triathletes

State and federal laws apply on open roads.

Old September 19th 05, 07:03 AM
Joel Mayes

Marty Wallace wrote:
Joel Mayes wrote:

Walrus wrote:

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I'd say yes, the law is pretty clear. You could also get fined for not
wearing a helmet

Cheers

Joel

If you're riding in a triathlon the rules state you can use a helmet
which is approved for road use in a country which is affiliated with the
International Triathlon Union (ITU).

Marty

That would be a law of the game, not a law of the land.
Old September 19th 05, 07:10 AM
Bleve

Joel Mayes wrote:
Marty Wallace wrote:
Joel Mayes wrote:

Walrus wrote:

Any thoughts? Is there any truth in his claim about insurance (pardon
the pun)? If I have a crash, am I at risk of not being covered?

I'd say yes, the law is pretty clear. You could also get fined for not
wearing a helmet

Cheers

Joel

If you're riding in a triathlon the rules state you can use a helmet
which is approved for road use in a country which is affiliated with the
International Triathlon Union (ITU).

Marty

That would be a law of the game, not a law of the land.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to be them if someone crashes, gets
a head injury while wearing a non-approved helmet, and decides to sue
them.

Old September 19th 05, 07:14 AM
Bleve

Walrus wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

NFI re insurance, but it's illegal to use a non-approved helmet.

The bike shop you got the helmet from (assuming that was in Australia)
should have told you that.

I got it on eBay...

That would be a case of "buyer beware", and you got the advice
you paid for. Don't try and race with that helmet, it's being
enforced now at CA races.