Senior Olympics

Old July 23rd 04, 03:25 AM
gcdoss

Default Senior Olympics

Hi All,
I entered the local senior Olympics and did my first training ride this
morning. I ran out of steam after 3 miles as I was pushing it pretty
hard.I'm entered in the 10K race on Aug. 7, so need to energize quick.
Problem is: I've been on a low carb diet for the last 14 months. I lost
70 lbs during the first 10 months and am just trying to hold the weight
I have now.
I have been eating about 85 carb grams a day but today proved I was
doing something wrong.
Do some of you that do a little racing have any advice on what can
energize a 70 year old guy for about 30 minutes? I don't want to start
gaining weight again so a real high carb diet is out of the question. I
did try an energy candy bar but got no help.
I am in fair shape as I ride my Tour Easy about 150 miles a week and do
another 30 or so on a mtn bike.
It's the fast push that drains me so I need to build up a reserve of
energy by race day.
I do have a wager on myself with an old friend that's just 67 years old
riding a road bike.
Hope to get some help.

Jerry
Old July 23rd 04, 11:15 PM
Dave Lehnen

gcdoss wrote:

[...]

If you haven't already done so, make sure the Senior Olympics people
will allow recumbents. They might not; I think here in Arizona they
use the USCF rules, which would prohibit bents under current rules.

Good luck. Sorry I can't really help on the nutrition question.

Dave Lehnen

Old July 24th 04, 01:56 AM
gcdoss

Dave Lehnen wrote:
gcdoss wrote:

[...]

Here in Prescott, recumbents are allowed. They just don't have a
separate category and are lumped in with all other type bikes.
Guess we aren't very official but there are a lot of bikers involved
this year.
On nutrition,LBS guy told me today that he carbs up the night before
with a lot of pasta. Then on race day eats a lite breakfast and has a
high carb bar 30 minutes before race and another just before he starts.
Also drinks lots of extra water the night before and during race.
I'm trying his advice and carbing up tonight and will do a serious
practice run tomorrow morning.

Jerry 'carbing up' Doss
Old July 24th 04, 01:57 AM
Trailgalore

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

Are you allowed to race your Tour Easy? Bikes used in the Senior Olympics
are supposed to conform to USAC specs.

Old July 24th 04, 02:57 AM
gcdoss

Trailgalore wrote:

"gcdoss" wrote in message

[...]

It may be that the lady who signed me up wasn't up on recumbents being
allowed or not. She told me they were but I was the only one entered. I
may get to the race site and be bumped by a real official.
Guess I will try to contact an official before race day to make sure I
can race the Tour Easy.
Old July 24th 04, 11:52 PM
Trailgalore

"gcdoss" wrote in message
Dave Lehnen wrote:
gcdoss wrote:

[...]

Da rule book states:
SPORT RULES All cycling events will be conducted in accordance with U.S.
Cycling Federation (USCF) rules, except as modified herein. For a copy of
these rules, please write or call:Multi-gear (free wheel) bikes with front
and rear brakes are required. Fixed gear and recumbent bicycles are not
permitted. All bicycles must be certified by race officials prior to the
competition.

Old July 26th 04, 11:08 PM
Child

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Jerry,
I lost about 60 pounds low carbing and found that with distance or
performance cycling I needed to do some carbing up in order to perform well.

My guiding light in this arena is usually to be found on the weightlifting
newsgroup (although I haven't been there in at least a year, so who knows
where he is now). This article is likely to be helpful, but its geared
towards weight training - read it anyway, the concepts are the same.
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/...genic-diet.htm

If I were going to train for a short race like a 10K, I would be doing
intervals. In my experience there is no faster way to improve your cardio
fitness than intervals.

Old July 27th 04, 12:15 AM
Edward Dolan

"Child" wrote in message

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on ARBR need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical training.

--
Ye Old Insult Maven

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 27th 04, 12:27 AM
Child

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Child" wrote in message

"gcdoss" wrote in message
[...]

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical

training.

Since I went from 60 pounds overweight, to teaching fitness classes, who
better?

Old July 27th 04, 06:21 AM
Edward Dolan

[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

If you were 60 pounds overweight, you should not be doing any running or
cycling at all. You should be in a hospital getting a stomach by-pass.
Frankly, I do not know how anyone in this world gets to be 60 pounds
overweight! You must have to really work at it. How are you able to do

it
other than eating like a pig and never moving a muscle. We here on ARBR

need
to know this so we can gauge your level of intelligence.

How would an overweight person lose weight if not to exercise? Silly,
troll, please try again!

So then, you did eat like a pig and never moved a muscle in order to gain
those extra 60 pounds? But we here on ARBR would like to know your mind set
while you were doing this.

The fact is that all Americans are at least about 20 pounds over weight. I
think we must be the fattest people on earth. I think the reason for it is
that food is plentiful and cheap and we have machines to do all our physical
work for us.

When I was a kid looking at TV there were no remotes and I was constantly
jumping up and down changing the channels. Now that I have a remote the only
thing that ever gets any exercise are my fingers. As is well known, you must
exercise the large muscles of the body (like the leg muscles). Exercising
the small muscles of the body (like the fingers) will do absolutely nothing
for your weight and/or physical fitness. Thus spake Zarathustra!

And please, do not insult us with your prescriptions for physical

training.

Since I went from 60 pounds overweight, to teaching fitness classes, who
better?

Agreed!

--
Regards,