First century + 75 miles the day before?

Old July 9th 04, 08:53 PM
Bob in CT

Default First century + 75 miles the day before?

I wanted to ride the MS150 (75 miles a day for two days) and then a
century the week before or after the MS150 ride. However, the MS150 AND
the local century are on the same weekend. It's also my first century
(last year, I did the MS ride, although it was only 60 miles a day, and a
bunch of other 60-70 mile rides). On the one hand, I'm thinking of
ditching the MS 150 so that I can join the century club. On the other
hand, I'm thinking that a century is only another 25 miles (over the 75
I'd be doing for the MS150), so why not ride 75 miles for one day and 100
miles the next?

What think ye?

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old July 9th 04, 09:10 PM
David Reuteler

Bob in CT wrote:
I wanted to ride the MS150 (75 miles a day for two days) and then a
century the week before or after the MS150 ride. However, the MS150 AND
the local century are on the same weekend.

snip
What think ye?

skip the local century & ride an extra 25 miles both days.
--
david reuteler

Old July 9th 04, 09:11 PM
Bob in CT

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:08:59 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I wanted to ride the MS150 (75 miles a day for two days) and then a
century the week before or after the MS150 ride. However, the MS150 AND
the local century are on the same weekend. It's also my first century
(last year, I did the MS ride, although it was only 60 miles a day, and
bunch of other 60-70 mile rides). On the one hand, I'm thinking of
ditching the MS 150 so that I can join the century club. On the other
hand, I'm thinking that a century is only another 25 miles (over the 75
I'd be doing for the MS150), so why not ride 75 miles for one day and
100
miles the next?

What think ye?

Sounds reasonable. If you are confident of being able to ride 75 miles
on consecutive days, then adding another 25 to one of those days
shouldn't be a major problem; it's only another 33%. I've found that I
can increase my long-ride mileage by 50% at a shot with no major
problems, as long as I'm not riding that much every day.

Well, that is a problem -- can I ride 75 each day? Last year, the 60
miles each day weren't bad, but I'd have to do about 15 more the first day
then about 40 more the next day to do the 75+100 (and I say about because
the distance on my computer might not be the distance they give). The
other problem is that I like both charities, so I'd like to give money to
both (while getting a fully supported ride in, too).

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Old July 9th 04, 09:26 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:08:59 -0400, David Kerber
wrote:

In article ,
says...
[...]

How much training have you been doing so far this year? If you have
been getting in at least a few 50-milers and feel good after them, I
would think you'd be ok, as long as you be sure to hydrate and refuel
consistently during the ride. I did a hill 70-miler last weekend, which
was the longest I've ever done in a day, but I had several 50-milers in
earlier in the year, and I made sure to carb-up for a couple of days
before, and hydrate the day before, and during the ride as well. I felt
great, and was able to do the last two miles at over 21 mph as a
"finishing sprint".

newsgroups if possible).
Old July 9th 04, 09:40 PM
Ron Hardin

I used to ride 100 miles every Saturday and every Sunday, back before
it was a big deal; the same route every time. It's more of a big
deal in an organized ride. If you just go, you just go the distance
you like. As to building up for it, you just take a ride you enjoy
and use the natural inclination to add an addition side trip to
hit another town here and there, from time to time.

Make it a huge circle so you can shortcut home at any point for
breakdown or something.

There's nothing exhausting about 100 miles a day. It's just pacing
and enjoying it.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 9th 04, 10:36 PM
Dave

If it's a group ride, it sounds like you're not racing, nor shooting for
personal best times, so sit in, take a pull if you feel like it, enjoy both,
finish in however long is comfortable and just make sure to fuel and hydrate
during the rides, and take electrolyte supplements as well. You should be
fine....

Dave

news

Old July 10th 04, 06:14 AM
curt

I would do the MS 150. It is such a great time. A century can be done
anytime, and it is not that big of a deal. If you ride 75 and then another
75, you certainly can do a century.

Enjoy the 150 IMHO,
Curt

news

Old July 10th 04, 06:17 AM
curt

Oops, I didn't read enough. In the MS 150 I did there was a century option.
Not sure if they have that. You could add the 25 the second day, if you
feel like it. Like you said it is only 25 more. I would just see how you
feel and go from there.

Curt

news

Old July 10th 04, 07:32 AM
bizjetpilot

Hi:

I just finished the Aids Lifecycle ride from San Francisco to Los
Angeles. We had basically two centuries on the ride. I had never ridden
more than 60 miles and never more than three times a week. This was 7
days and about 7 to 11 hours of riding each day. I finished it all and
never got sagged or had a big med event on the ride. The reason I was
able to do it was basically four real key basics that I always stuck to
and here they a

1. I always ate carbs and drank both water and gatorade (electrolyes).
The drinks were 1/2 and 1/2. If you have too much electrolyte you
will od on the stuff and have to stop riding. Way to little and
you'll fade.
2. I always paced my ride to 80 percent of my training ride speed. So
even if I felt great I held back thinking that if I still felt great
in the last few hours then I could always go for it then. Going for
it too early taps you out without any way to recover.
3. I was spinning all the way unless the hill was too big. Always 80
rpm or 90.
4. I never pushed a hill. I just accepted that it would take me however
long it took but I would not cruch the pedals and force my way up. I
avoided a lot of injuries this way. At sports med at the end of each
day there were plenty of people who passed me "on your left" and
were being stretched and taped or pulled off the ride. It was my
turn to say "on your left" as I walked past them to my tent injury
free but slower.

So bascially if it's not a race then pace yourself for a comfortable
speed and factor in hills. Be sure to drink lots and eat lots.

Thats it....

Mike Shiflett