Cycling in Great Britain

Old May 26th 04, 04:45 PM
Michael MacClancy

Default Cycling in Great Britain

On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:31:04 -0400, Dieter wrote:

Can anyone tell me the shortest/best route from Edinburgh to Beverly to
Norwich. I have six days to complete the tour starting May 31st, 2004.

Thanks.

Dieter.

Crossposted to uk.rec.cycling because they'll be more helpful.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "He is not only dull himself, he is the cause of dullness
Old May 26th 04, 05:00 PM
Simon Mason

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:31:04 -0400, Dieter wrote:

Can anyone tell me the shortest/best route from Edinburgh to Beverly to
Norwich. I have six days to complete the tour starting May 31st, 2004.

Anyone who wants to look it up on an on line map, it's spelt Beverley.

--
Simon M.

Old May 30th 04, 06:56 PM
Terry

http://www.cycle-n-sleep.co.uk/

http://www.sustrans.co.uk/

http://www.ctc.org.uk/

http://www.thenationalbyway.org/welcome.asp

http://www.getoutguide.co.uk/tic.htm

http://www.multimap.com/

Here are some sites that give good information.To do Edinburgh to
Norwich in 6 days with luggage you will need to keep moving, so
perhaps the sustrans routes might slow you down when they are off road
and they can be slow through cities as well.The onroad sustrans routes
are usually very nice.The quicker routes are usually B-roads which
are busier than the little back roads.If you wanted to go fast you
would probably keep to the B-roads and A-roads, but when I tour I like
to use the smallest roads whenever possible.I sometimes draw a staight
line on the map and try to find a small-road route close to it.For
this a 1/250 000 road map would be good enough, but check for hills on
multimap.

If you use sustrans routes off road you should have fat tyres or
suspension because they are usually not tarmac.700x28 or wider.

If you need to use the train to finish on time you need to expect to
book your bike in advance.In my experience this only means you have to
get a train an hour or two later, but you never know for sure.

I expect the wind to blow from the south-west, so you will probably be
going into it for most of your trip if you head south.

TerryJ

TerryJ