Commuting by bike

Old June 13th 06, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Commuting by bike

Hi all

As we are soon to move offices, i'm going to start commuting to work by
bike and train, as I'm only an occasional cyclist I had a few
questions.

1. I'm looking at folding cycles as they are the only ones allowed on
the train in rush hour (i'm going in and out of paddington). I'll be
doing 16 miles a day, I also want to use this bike offroad on the odd
occasion at the weekend. I've seen favourable reviews of the Dahon
Cadenza, is this a good bike for what I want?

2. Where can I find out about cycle routes in London? I need to get
from Paddington to Green Park.

3. What else should I be thinking about, as I'm going from biking a few
times a year to 3, 4 times a week?

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Gavin

Old June 13th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Gavin Watkinson a écrit :

3. What else should I be thinking about, as I'm going from biking a few
times a year to 3, 4 times a week?

The best tip from my experience of the past year is that you get some of
those cycling undershorts, that you can wear under your normal clothes
without having to look like an alien. These have greatly improved the
comfort of my own commute, and I like the wicking properties so much
that I even like to wear them when I'm not cycling.

EFR
Ile de France
Old June 13th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 13 Jun 2006 06:23:43 -0700 someone who may be "Gavin Watkinson"
wrote this:-

2. Where can I find out about cycle routes in London? I need to get
from Paddington to Green Park.

I assume Transport for London still do cycle maps. Look on their web
site.

3. What else should I be thinking about, as I'm going from biking a few
times a year to 3, 4 times a week?

Get some gloves.

Wear a sensible hat. In the summer this should be designed to keep
the sun off your head, in the winter ditto for rain. You only need
to wear either when necessary. The sun can also burn your arms, legs
and hands if not careful.

Nearer the time find some suitable breathable water resistant
clothing.

Consider lighting that will work regularly and what tools you may
need.

For commuting the Brompton has yet to be beaten. Folding and
unfolding is rapid and the luggage attaches and detaches in a couple
of seconds, all of which is useful if rushing for a train.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old June 13th 06, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Gavin Watkinson" wrote
2. Where can I find out about cycle routes in London?

The London Cycle Campaign is a good place to start
http://www.lcc.org.uk/
Get yourself the relevant London Route Maps, either from their site or from
a bike shop, they're free.
TFL also does a cycling version of their route planner, fun to play with but
probably not that great in practise
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._TRIP_REQUEST2

I need to get from Paddington to Green Park.

Head south by the most direct route possible to Hyde Park, go round it
clockwise making sure you stick to the paths that you are allowed to cycle
and emerge at Hyde Park Corner. A lovely little hop that'll only take about
10 minutes.

3. What else should I be thinking about, as I'm going from biking a few
times a year to 3, 4 times a week?

On that route, at this time of year, with all the nubile bodies in the park,
SEX.

Oh, and get some seriously puncture resistant tyres for the mean streets of
the city.

Old June 13th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Following on from Gavin Watkinson's message. . .
Hi all

As we are soon to move offices, i'm going to start commuting to work by
bike and train, as I'm only an occasional cyclist I had a few
questions.

Q: What are the options for parking a bike overnight at Paddington?
(I understand in some parts of Europe this is normal.) (And of course
parking your normal bike during the day at wherever you're commuting
from.)

You'll find cycling through London is the quickest form of transport.
Personally, although I go there only once every couple of years or so
and live 'in the country' otherwise I enjoy the err.. cut and thrust of
urban cycling. But then I am assertive, check the gears, don't get
stuck behind busses, and overtake on the outside of stationary traffic.
NB NEVER through red lights or even over the white line. The point is:
"you should be thinking about" what happens next. Better still: 'What
will I be doing next' not 'Oh dear Oh dear OH DEAR'.

In my limited experience, small wheel folders are more difficult to
steer after a few pints - I suppose you get used to them after a while.

If you do get nervous then a couple of hours with CTUK etc will give you
confidence and VIM!

And you must wear a helmet or your brains will be eaten by green worms
every time you go over a manhole cover. NURSE! . . .

No seriously, you will be the office loony for a while. "What! You
cycle? On the roads! Are you mad? For TEN miles!!" Most of these
numpties are amusingly put down by "On average how far do you walk each
week?" You'll be _fit and bored_ each day in the office while the
numpties will be grey and exhausted. Get out for a spin at lunchtime to
the swimming baths over the river etc. and you'll soon acquire the
status of super-fit-hero.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old June 13th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:23:43 -0700, Gavin Watkinson wrote:

2. Where can I find out about cycle routes in London? I need to get from
Paddington to Green Park.

Free cycle maps from:
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

Old June 13th 06, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:23:43 -0700, Gavin Watkinson wrote:

Hi all

As we are soon to move offices, i'm going to start commuting to work by
bike and train, as I'm only an occasional cyclist I had a few questions.

You could save a bit of money - leave an old hack bike at Paddington,
chained to the racks. Paddington to Green Park is not that far.
If the bike gets nicked then its not the end of the world,
and just plan to buy another. Many hack bikes for price of Dahon.
Old June 13th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message .com, Gavin
Watkinson ') wrote:

Hi all

As we are soon to move offices, i'm going to start commuting to work by
bike and train, as I'm only an occasional cyclist I had a few
questions.

1. I'm looking at folding cycles as they are the only ones allowed on
the train in rush hour (i'm going in and out of paddington). I'll be
doing 16 miles a day, I also want to use this bike offroad on the odd
occasion at the weekend. I've seen favourable reviews of the Dahon
Cadenza, is this a good bike for what I want?

You probably don't want to do 16 miles a day on a Brompton... unless some
regular bromptoneer wants to disagree with me? A bike I would look at is
the Birdy

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/birdy.shtml

Relatively expensive but widely regarded as a decent bike to ride. I
don't know much about Dahons, but people here do.

3. What else should I be thinking about, as I'm going from biking a few
times a year to 3, 4 times a week?

Comfort. If you don't get comfortable you won't do it. Get a saddle which
fits you - shops which sell Specialized (the brand) saddles have a magic
device for measuring your arse, which is useful. Firmer saddles, while
initially feeling uncomfortable, tend to be much more comfortable in the
long term /provided/ they fit. Also get yourself track mitts (fingerless
gloves). Not only do they help with vibration transmitted through the
bars but they also protect your hands from gravel rash if you should
fall off. Finally, padded cycling shorts may look dreadfully keen but
they are very comfortable. They can be worn under more ordinary
clothing, instead of underpants.

Also, at 16 miles per day, remember to drink enough - that is far enough
for dehydration to start to be an issue.

A message from our sponsor: This site is now in free fall

Old June 13th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

John Hearns wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 06:23:43 -0700, Gavin Watkinson wrote:

Hi all

As we are soon to move offices, i'm going to start commuting to work by
bike and train, as I'm only an occasional cyclist I had a few questions.

You could save a bit of money - leave an old hack bike at Paddington,
chained to the racks. Paddington to Green Park is not that far.
If the bike gets nicked then its not the end of the world,
and just plan to buy another. Many hack bikes for price of Dahon.

The paddington to green park bit is kinda off secondary to getting from
my house to the train station. It would be nice to do, as it means I
can leave my bike at the office rather than at a train station. Plus
any money I spend on a new bike is offset by the money I save from
travelling on the tube everyday. Plus I've been thinking of getting a
new bike for awhile.

Thanks to everyone for the answers. I've got gloves already, thought
about lights, hadnt thought about a hat or special clothing. And what
is 'wicking properties'?

Old June 13th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Gavin Watkinson wrote:
1. I'm looking at folding cycles as they are the only ones allowed on
the train in rush hour (i'm going in and out of paddington). I'll be
doing 16 miles a day, I also want to use this bike offroad on the odd
occasion at the weekend. I've seen favourable reviews of the Dahon
Cadenza, is this a good bike for what I want?

Check with your station/train company first: some people have reported
that some officials interpret "folding bikes only" as "fairly compact
small wheel folding bikes only". Unless you are also going by train
to wherever you plan to offroad, you might be better off with a
different folder and a non-folding offroad bike. (Though buying
a decent folder and a decent offroad bike for the price of the
Cadenza could be tricky.)

The usual reaction is "train commuting - you want a Brompton", but
16 miles of riding is enough that compactness on the train and
neatness of fold might not be the overriding factor it usually is.
People do ride longer distances on Bromptons though.

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America General 0 March 30th 05 07:34 PM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp General 116 August 18th 03 11:44 PM