Bollards

Old February 5th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Bollards

In 2001, South Gloucestershire Council installed 6 bollards at a point
where a lot of peds cross the Bath-Bristol cyclepath. I complained
about them at the time, but didn't get very far. I didn't complain
about them quite as much as I would have done if I hadn't been able to
get a trailer through.

On Thursday, they were repositioned. I e-mailed the chap at S Glos who
is currently the closest thing we have to a cycling officer. He told me
that the contractors were supposed to be replacing black bollards with
white, but not repositioning them. He intends to inspect the work this
week.

Anyway, I've been along there today with a trailer and taken a few photos:
http://www.colyer.plus.com/z-bollards/

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Subscribe to PlusNet URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/
Old February 5th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message

Anyway, I've been along there today with a trailer and taken a few photos:
http://www.colyer.plus.com/z-bollards/

Looks as if a Trice couldn't get through either... Reminds me of the other
Saturday when I was cycling with the King's Lynn BUG. We were on a Sustrans
(spit, spit... wash mouth out.. spit..) shared use path and came across
several instances of impediments where one guy on a Redmount recumbent trike
had to be assisted to lift it over the obstacles placed there under the
official guise of things to stop motorcyclists getting on to psychlepath.
They were cr*p at the official purpose, as witnessed by the many kids on
motorcycles we encountered whizzing along, but they were exceedingly
effective at making life difficult for pedal cyclists... It was yet another
case where I felt my intense dislike of Sustrans was entirely justified.

Cheers, helen s

Old February 5th 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
In 2001, South Gloucestershire Council installed 6 bollards at a point
where a lot of peds cross the Bath-Bristol cyclepath. I complained about
them at the time, but didn't get very far. I didn't complain about them
quite as much as I would have done if I hadn't been able to get a trailer
through.

On Thursday, they were repositioned. I e-mailed the chap at S Glos who is
currently the closest thing we have to a cycling officer. He told me that
the contractors were supposed to be replacing black bollards with white,
but not repositioning them. He intends to inspect the work this week.

Council people do these things. I live on a bit of hill. Last year the
council people painted traffic calming signs on the road outside my house.
The big white words are slippery when wet - they agreed that turning into my
drive on a bicycle or motorcycle would now be more dangerous - but I have
big white traffic claming words painted on the road outside my house.

You have worked out a solution or two - consider others. Weed killer is
cheap. Plastic bollards are weak.

John

Old February 5th 06, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Eatmorepies wrote:

Council people do these things. I

You have worked out a solution or two - consider others. Weed killer is
cheap.

I think poisoning Council people, whilst a worthy aim, might be a touch
illegal.

Plastic bollards are weak.

Yep. Hitting them with cast iron ones is much more effective.

John B

Old February 5th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:

[...]

Yes, "cycle provision" is basically just a big "**** off" message. We
have *roads*!
Old February 5th 06, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Eatmorepies wrote:
"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
snip
You have worked out a solution or two - consider others. Weed killer is
cheap. Plastic bollards are weak.

John

Perhaps we shold form a direct action group, a bit like ABD ... hey we
could even call it ABC. Go round the country armed with angle grinders
and other appropriate tools to remove irritations like this from cycle
facilities, paint on new cycle lanes etc. I'm sure it would make the
newspapers and then perhaps the council might think more carefully in
future.

Alex
Old February 6th 06, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Done. http://www.anglegrinderman.org/

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old February 6th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Danny Colyer wrote:

In 2001, South Gloucestershire Council installed 6 bollards at a point
where a lot of peds cross the Bath-Bristol cyclepath. I complained
about them at the time, but didn't get very far. I didn't complain
about them quite as much as I would have done if I hadn't been able to
get a trailer through.

On Thursday, they were repositioned. I e-mailed the chap at S Glos who
is currently the closest thing we have to a cycling officer. He told me
that the contractors were supposed to be replacing black bollards with
white, but not repositioning them. He intends to inspect the work this
week.

Do you happen to recall the spacing? I have thought of putting in a
triangle of bollards like this, with 1.5m gaps between all 3
(equilateral triangle) which would give about .6m between the outer
bollards and the edge on a 3m wide path. Would this be acceptable with
a trailer? Obviously you'd still have to slow down more than a solo bike.

Colin McKenzie

Old February 6th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Danny Colyer wrote:

[...]

I'd probably have significant difficulties getting my big trailer
through (1mx90cm but when you work out the line one has to take on the
towing bike, it becomes apparent that bollards like that make life
difficult.

Why not just have three bollards set 1.5m apart, two on the edge of the
path and one in the middle. Then everyone is happy.

...d

Old February 6th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

David Martin wrote:
I'd probably have significant difficulties getting my big trailer
through (1mx90cm but when you work out the line one has to take on the
towing bike

I have a similar obstical on my commute. The trailer is 87cm, and the
gap is 90cm, so I come nearly to a stop to get through. I was thinking
of sneaking out one night and painting run-way markings (marked "Cat.
II") leading up to the gap to follow with the tractor wheel (I call my
bicycle a tractor...), that way, I should be able to get through
without slowing, it would look cool as well.