Courier Mail: Drunk cyclist is banned from driving

Old March 3rd 06, 07:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Courier Mail: Drunk cyclist is banned from driving

Competition for the wittiest response to the Magistrate's comment, last
line of the article.

Donga
_________________________
Drunk cyclist is banned from driving
Cameron Atfield
28feb06
JULIAN Korpela has never had a driver's licence but he has already been
disqualified from holding one.

He had no idea he would be breaking the law when he jumped on his
bicycle one night after drinking.

As he pedalled along busy Gympie Rd at Lawnton police noticed there was
something erratic about the way he handled his bike.

"It was obvious he was intoxicated while riding," police prosecutor
Senior-Constable Dean Roper told Petrie Magistrates Court yesterday.

"He had trouble stopping and nearly fell off."

Korpela, 18, was riding without lights and wore dark clothing, so it
was difficult for motorists to see him, Sen-Constable Roper said.

He said Korpela then became aggressive towards police before he
recorded a blood alcohol level of .163 - more than three times the
legal limit for drivers.

Korpela pleaded guilty and told the court he regretted his actions, but
was not aware he was breaking the law.

"I had no idea you could get caught riding drunk on a bike," he said.

Magistrate Michael Halliday fined Korpela $1000 for riding drunk, and
disqualified him from holding a licence for 10 months.

He also imposed a $100 fine for the charge of obstructing police, but
no conviction was recorded.

"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

Old March 3rd 06, 07:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:
Competition for the wittiest response to the Magistrate's comment, last
line of the article.

Der fred?

Donga Wrote:
"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

Not witty, but this does not ring true when examining crash stats or
the TAC stats. Needless to say, be responsible.

--
cfsmtb

Old March 3rd 06, 08:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Donga" writes:

"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

"Riding a moped scooter and crashing head on into a semi-trailer is
just as dangerous to the other motorist and to yourself as driving a
semi-trailer drunk."

Also, I want to know when bicycle riders became motorists, since his
remarks obviously imply it ("to *other* motorists").

David

P.S. Getting drunk is a dang stupid thing to do. Riding on the road
drunk is even stupider. And if you do it while black, well that's the
real ticket to jail, isn't it?

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

Equally, our immoral person must get away with any crimes he
undertakes in the proper fashion, if he is to be outstandingly
immoral; getting caught must be taken to be a sign of incompetence,
since the acme of immorality is to give an impression of morality
while actually being immoral. So we must attribute consummate
immorality to our consummate criminal, and if we are to leave it
intact, we should have him equipped with a colossal reputation for
morality even though he is a colossal criminal. He should be capable
of correcting any mistakes he makes. He must have the ability to argue
plausibly, in case any of his crimes are ever found out, and to use
force wherever necessary, by making use of his courage and strength and
by drawing on his fund of friends and his financial resources.

-- Plato, in "Republic", 361a-361b, the words of Glaucon.

Old March 3rd 06, 10:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Swimming while under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other boaties and to yourself as driving a motor boat"......

*shrugs*

So I wonder if he's actually banned from riding his bike on the road
for the same period of time as the "imaginary licence
disqualification"?? That would make sense...

Abby

Old March 3rd 06, 11:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2 Mar 2006 23:40:41 -0800, "Donga" wrote:

"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

Riding a dike under the influence is the most dangerous thing on the planet.

Old March 3rd 06, 11:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Appearing before Mr Halliday after cycling under the influence of
liquor is more dangerous to your driving than to your cycling.

Old March 3rd 06, 12:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle

wrote:

"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

Riding a dike under the influence is the most dangerous thing on the

planet.

Driving a dike at any time is dangerous.

--
Alan Erskine

Old March 4th 06, 06:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-03-03, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

Donga Wrote:
"Riding a bike under the influence of liquor is just as dangerous to
other motorists and to yourself as driving a motor vehicle," Mr
Halliday said.

Not witty, but this does not ring true when examining crash stats or
the TAC stats. Needless to say, be responsible.

No no, what I believe he is saying, is you have to be drunk and riding
before you cause the same amount of risks to other road users as if
you were just a normal morotist.

--
TimC
If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a workstation?
Old March 4th 06, 06:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC gets the prize!

Old March 4th 06, 09:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga Wrote:
Appearing before Mr Halliday after cycling under the influence of
liquor is more dangerous to your driving than to your cycling.

The first word that came into my head after reading the story is APPEAL
!

I believe that their is a famous lawer from South Australia who is an
expert at getting ppl off drink driving charges.
Dont think he is very busy right now.

BTW his name is Eguene Mc Gee and he is famous for killing a cyclist
and then hiding from the police.

Hugh

--
HughMann

Cyclist Payback??? mrbubl General 46 May 5th 04 02:51 AM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
Fame at last! [warning: contains 5m*th] Just zis Guy, you know? UK 308 March 29th 04 12:00 AM
Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 12:42 PM
Vimw unilaur Unicycling 1 August 16th 03 12:07 PM