Bollards

Old July 19th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bollards

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Jobst Brandt
Old July 19th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill Sornson

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Genius!

Bill "credit where due" S.

Old July 19th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Bill Sornson wrote:
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Genius!

Motor vehicles getting speared by extensible bollards - there has to be
an off-color joke in there somewhere?

Old July 19th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
di

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Genius!

Bill "credit where due" S.

A big badass American SUV would take care of those things :)

Old July 19th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joel Mayes

On 2007-07-19, still me wrote:
On 19 Jul 2007 04:21:19 GMT, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Jobst Brandt

Gee, I thought that dangerous features implemented in ways to
endanger unsuspecting drivers and damage their vehicles were a
uniquely US feature. It's good to know stupidity is worldwide.

Did you see the big warning sign before the narrowing of the road?
Notice the away the drivers were tailgating the buses?

The lady in the first crash was even parked in front of the bollards when
they were raised before backing out and trying to sneak across behind a
bus.

My money says that all of these drivers knew the bollards were there and
were trying flaunting the law to take a shortcut. Te stupidity lies with
the drivers

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction
Old July 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:07:14 +0000, still me wrote:

On 19 Jul 2007 04:21:19 GMT, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Jobst Brandt

Gee, I thought that dangerous features implemented in ways to
endanger unsuspecting drivers and damage their vehicles were a
uniquely US feature. It's good to know stupidity is worldwide.

What makes you think they were unsuspecting? For one thing, there
appear to be huge signs to either side of the roadway indicating no
admittance. There's no doubt the first driver knew the bollards were there
-- he pulled out to let the bus through and then tried to sneak past by
following in the bus's wake. The other two drivers also appear to be
trying to speed through the opening created by a bus. They tried to beat
the system -- endangering pedestrians in the process -- and got busted.
Old July 19th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On 19 Jul 2007 04:21:19 GMT, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Indeed.

But whatever are those "bollards" about? What's the context, traffic control?
Secure locations? "Traffic calming" civil engineering that just ****es everyone
off? One of those incidents looked as if the vehicle driver didn't know
something was up. Do these things just pop up around town like some subterranean
predator?

Ron
Ain't been out much lately.
Old July 19th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:57:13 -0400, RonSonic
wrote:

On 19 Jul 2007 04:21:19 GMT, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Indeed.

But whatever are those "bollards" about? What's the context, traffic control?
Secure locations? "Traffic calming" civil engineering that just ****es everyone
off? One of those incidents looked as if the vehicle driver didn't know
something was up. Do these things just pop up around town like some subterranean
predator?

Ron
Ain't been out much lately.

Dear Ron,

Sometimes I forget that many RBT posters don't read uk.rec.cycling, so
they miss this sort of thing:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....394c35f62209ff

As Tony's thread points out, the drivers usually lie, but they've
repeatedly been shown to know exactly what's going on.

They're just trying to blast through the no-cars pedestrian
intersection behind the bus, endangering everyone visible in the
videos.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old July 19th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Sonic? writes:

http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Indeed.

But whatever are those "bollards" about? What's the context,
traffic control? Secure locations? "Traffic calming" civil
engineering that just ****es everyone off? One of those incidents
looked as if the vehicle driver didn't know something was up. Do
these things just pop up around town like some subterranean
predator?

They are used to separate pedestrian malls from auto traffic, allowing
public transit to serves the mall. We have those right here where I
live, except that they are 10" in diameter (for monster SUV's) and are
used to keep cars out of pedestrian/bicycle areas.

The city center of Brig Switzerland is bollard off, for instance an I
like it. I'm sure they are common in many advanced city centers. It
beats getting out and unlocking a steel post to be manually moved and
replaced after passage.

Jobst Brandt
Old July 19th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marz

On Jul 18, 11:21 pm, wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ybfsmj

Smartasses, they are!

Jobst Brandt

Fantastic. Dumb drivers. I hope the kid in the Merc was ok.

Rising bollards spindrift UK 102 November 4th 06 04:47 PM
Bollards Danny Colyer UK 27 February 17th 06 08:21 PM