Recumbent Trike Opinions

Old October 4th 03, 08:11 PM
iLiad

Default Recumbent Trike Opinions

Phil,
The Windheetahs are very nice, but I can almost guarantee that going from
the Wizwheelz with the handlebar steering to the joystick steering will be a
dissapointment. The Windcheetah's are very squirley as a trike and can be
difficult to control on hills and faster speeds.
I got rid of mine because of that very issue and a friend of mine who
recently purchased one has the same complaints. We are a small control group
though ;-) A ton of people love their Windcheetahs.
As you know, with a wizwheelz you can pretty much shoot across anything just
by turning and holding on. The Windcheetah has a tendancy to get on two
wheels if you play to much. I've heard people argue that the WIndcheetah is
designed for racing/speed and that is why. However, my GLR is designed for
racing, and it is extremely stable at speeds, cornering, etc.

"Philbert" wrote in message
I don't have lots of trike experience, but I've spent some time with the

WW
TerraTrike, and the Greenspeed. Of the two, I really liked the WW more.
It's also domestic (Hastings, MI) and cheaper, to boot. The people at WW
are really nice and very helpful. The TTR looks really cool, too, but I
haven't ridden one yet. I'd really like to try out the WindCheetah
Hypersport, too, but major $$ there...

"Bobinator" wrote in message
om...
My wife is looking for a recumbent trike and I would like your
opinions on the various trikes on the market. We would like to stay
under $3K. Some of the trikes we have looked at on the web a

Catrike Speed
http://www.catrike.com/

Trimuter
http://www.trimuter.com/

Organic Engines Triclops
http://www.organicengines.com/

WizWheels Terra Trike
http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Are there any others we should consider? I would like to limit my
search to sonething I can get the US without going to extraordinary
lengths--my apologies to my Aussie friends.

Old October 5th 03, 07:28 AM
trikester

jbaatjbaz.com wrote:
Definitely check out the Penninger site!!
http://www.penningerrecumbents.com/h...ecumbents.com/
My wife and I own two(2) Voyagers and we love them..
Also we can quickly hook them together and ride them as a tandem...
Check it out...
Jim Andrews -
On 3 Oct 2003 06:39:11 -0700,
(Bobinator) wrote:
My wife is looking for a recumbent trike and I would like your opinions
on the various trikes on the market. We would like to stay under $3K.
Some of the trikes we have looked at on the web a

Catrike Speed
http://www.catrike.com/http://www.catrike.com/

Trimuter http://www.trimuter.com/http://www.trimuter.com/

Organic Engines Triclops
http://www.organicengines.com/http:/...icengines.com/

WizWheels Terra Trike
http://www.wizwheelz.com/http://www.wizwheelz.com/

Are there any others we should consider? I would like to limit my
search to sonething I can get the US without going to extraordinary
lengths--my apologies to my Aussie friends.

It's good to know about all these recumbent trikes. When I started
checking over three years ago, there didn't seem to be many available.
I got the Hase Lepus rather than the lighter, sportier Kettwiesel,
because I don't have a car and wanted the "cargo bay" in the back. I
love the trike, because it enables me to ride despite my disabilities;
it's comfortable, with a terrific steering mechanism (needing only a
very light touch), and handles beautifully. I couldn't shift the Cat
Trike, and the two wheels in front made it harder for me to steer. It
*was* expensive, and some adaptations someone made for me in California
added about 10% to the cost, but it's been worth every penny. FWIW.
Joan in Oakland

Old October 5th 03, 01:00 PM
Alan Mushnick

I haven't ever tried a trike. I would like to. I have a few questions
and comments.
Why are all "performance" trikes of the tadpole variety? Would anyone
design a delta with a performance style?
The difference between the current RCN review of the Catrike Speed,
and the review on Bentrider online is interesting. Check them both
out.
I was also surprised to hear the negative wiz wheels comments above on
this thread.

Alan Mushnick
Old October 5th 03, 02:54 PM
Ian Smith

On 5 Oct 2003 05:00:41 -0700, Alan Mushnick wrote:

Why are all "performance" trikes of the tadpole variety?

Because deltas fall over on corners more easily.

Would anyone design a delta with a performance style?

Probably, but it wouldn't corner as well, and most of the time if you
can go fast in a straight line, you'd like to go fast round corners
too.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 5th 03, 03:53 PM
Christopher Jordan

Very interesting! The fender was an annoyance on my TT which a cheap
aftermarket part remedied.

With a motor, 2 fairings, trunk, stereo, etc., the last thing I need
is an obsolete part breaking. Thanks for the warnings.

About the Catrike- mine IS a sports car it seems! Seeking a certain
trike is very interesting with so many differences.

Of my 4 current trikes, I cannot part with any. Now I will be a bit
more cautious with my TT

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA. (private west coast trike museum! ;-) Long term
Research & Developement).)

"iLiad" wrote in message .. .
Bob,
Over the last few months I have somewhat changed my attitude on the
Wizwheelz trike. Being new to trikes four years ago, I thought overall the
trike
was a good value. able on the 3.2 models. This
is very sad. I have purchased three trikes from Wizwheelz, and spent well
over 7000.00 total in upgrades, etc. To make your products obsolete so fast
is a real disservice to your customers. I can't really get excited about
fenders, even if I had a current model, because they likely would be
obsolete soon after.
Also, the Catrike is getting a lot of good press. I didn't personally like
it, but I didn't get much stick time in either. I have seen and heard very
little on the Organic Engines trikes. It is heavy though, at 42 pounds.
Won't make much of a difference on flats, but once you hit the hills you
will be able to tell. The trimuter looks pretty sweet and well thought out.
Once again though, it is 42 pounds.

iLiad

Old October 5th 03, 08:35 PM
Larry Varney

Alan Mushnick wrote:
I haven't ever tried a trike. I would like to. I have a few questions
and comments.
Why are all "performance" trikes of the tadpole variety? Would anyone
design a delta with a performance style?
The difference between the current RCN review of the Catrike Speed,
and the review on Bentrider online is interesting. Check them both
out.
I was also surprised to hear the negative wiz wheels comments above on
this thread.

Alan Mushnick

Regarding the differing reiews (somewhat) between RCN and BROL of the
Catrike Speed - much of the differences lies in purely subjective areas.
I'd have to go back and look for the exact terms and phrases, but I
think they dealt with harshness of ride and stability at speed. And,
unless someone has a reproducible method of measuring such things, they
are very subjective.
In my humble opinion, I do not find my Speed to be harsh-riding at
all. Sure, it'll bounce all over the place if ridden over a
sufficiently-bumpy road at high enough speeds, but all trikes will do
that. As for stability at speed, granted that these speeds were going
downhill, but I have felt quite comfortable at 45 mph, and twice took my
hands off the bars at 35 mph. Brake steer? Yep, and I wish it wasn't
there, even though I've "gotten used to it" and feel that I can handle
it - but that's like learning to live with an abusive spouse - you
shouldn't have to.
And you are right - it is interesting to read differing opinions
about the same bike/trike, especially if those opinions are coming from
people who should know what they're talking about.

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old October 6th 03, 01:02 AM
rorschandt

Larry Varney wrote in
:

Alan Mushnick wrote:
[...]

This trike doesn't http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

(^:

rorschandt
Old October 6th 03, 03:10 AM
Larry Varney

rorschandt wrote:
Larry Varney wrote in
:

Alan Mushnick wrote:

[...]

Ah, but I used just the right degree of ambiguity to insure that what
I said was correct: "sufficiently-bumpy" and "high enough speeds". So,
even the most well-behaved suspended vehicle will bounce around, if
ridden at "high enough" speed over a "sufficiently-bumpy" road.
In this particular case, perhaps it would involve multiple bumps of
no less than 6 inches in height and no more than 12", at a speed of, oh,
let's say 45 mph?
But seriously, yeah, that suspended trike should handle most
real-life roads at real-life speeds with lots more aplomb. Not to
mention grace and style.

Old October 6th 03, 06:45 AM
Mark Leuck

Whatever happened to the other trike? the one with the tube-mesh type frame?

"rorschandt" wrote in message
. 97.132...
Larry Varney wrote in
:

Old October 6th 03, 09:28 AM
Ian

Mark Leuck must be edykated coz e writed:

Whatever happened to the other trike? the one with the tube-mesh type frame?

Still available in kit form allegedly.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk