Why so few stock Campagnolo bikes?

Old August 7th 04, 01:36 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Why so few stock Campagnolo bikes?

James- At any rate, they're certainly not like Ford,
and even if Ford couldn't produce enough Foci to meet demand, I doubt
BMW would try to fill the gap. BRBR

Nor is Campagnolo, nor do I think they wish to. I think Campagnolo is content
with their position in the high-ish end bicycle component world.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old August 8th 04, 02:11 AM
Bill K.

Campagnolo is the king of the market where the bicycle starts as a frameset at
the bike shop. They also sell all they make, every year.

I'm not sure if you can call Campy the "king of the market" when it
comes to kit sales, but sales of Campy kits come close to Shimano kit
sales. Most people who buy a complete bike from a dealer, are not the
most sophisticated of buyers. Most bike shops will tell a customer
that they can get a better "deal" when they buy a complete bike "off
the rack", instead of buying a frame and "parts". Most OEM's stock
their bikes with Shimano because they they get a better discount on
the kits. It's gotten to the point that you really have to want Campy,
and be willing to jump through hoops, to get a Campy equiped bike.
Ps. I've got two DA equiped bikes, and one Campy Chorus 8 speed bike.
When the time comes for a refitting on components, I may just go back
to Chorus. (using 10 speed Ultegra Cassettes with all my old 8 and 9
speed Shimano wheels, to index with Campy 10 speed.
Old August 9th 04, 08:49 PM
James Scott

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

James- At any rate, they're certainly not like Ford,
and even if Ford couldn't produce enough Foci to meet demand, I doubt
BMW would try to fill the gap. BRBR

Nor is Campagnolo, nor do I think they wish to. I think Campagnolo is content
with their position in the high-ish end bicycle component world.

Which sums up my point nicely. The reason we don't see more
Campy-equipped off-the-rack bikes is that if we did, Campy wouldn't be
Campy. I can see where they might start a second brand that uses their
design smarts with lower-cost production in a part of the world where a
lot of bicycles are put together, but I think it would be dumb to put
"Brev. Campagnolo" on any parts made that way.

JLS
--
James "And if wishes were Waterfords, beggars would ride" Scott
www.jls.cx

Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 05:48 AM
Bikes on Trains - was Cycle Tracks ad nauseum [Not Responding] UK 40 December 2nd 03 10:05 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM