Unusual spoke patterns (was 26" 144 spoke wheels)

Old August 9th 04, 04:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Default Unusual spoke patterns (was 26" 144 spoke wheels)

in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

As an alternative something like
http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co...d/3leading.htm
could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

[three leading, three trailing]

Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
bit easier.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"
Old August 9th 04, 04:55 PM
Philman

Simon Brooke Wrote:
in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

As an alternative something like
http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co...d/3leading.htm
could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

[three leading, three trailing]

Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If
the
'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes
bit easier.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

Very interesting pattern! I've never seen it before. I suppose they are
interwoven to keep each spoke in as straight a line as is possible...ie
from the hub to the rim. If all of the outside spokes just run inside
the inside spokes the first spoke in the pattern would have a pretty
severe path to the rim. It would be crossing the inside spoke very
close to the hub flange putting much undo stress at the spoke head.
Probably in certain applications and perhaps decades ago in cycling
when the quality of parts was not what it is today this pattern could
have provided more strength. But I would think that, like in a
"twisted" spoke wheel, because the spokes in this pattern are crossing
at so many points that in reality it would react very sluggishly to
loads. It would not be the super stiff and effecient wheel one might
think. ? I dunno...but the look is somewhat cool...although replacing
spokes would be a bother!!

--
Philman

Old August 9th 04, 05:53 PM
Tom Ace

Simon Brooke wrote:

As an alternative something like
http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co...d/3leading.htm
could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
bit easier.

I don't think interlacing is worth the trouble in 3-leading-3-trailing.
I've had good results without interlace; see
http://www.qnet.com/~crux/wheel.html

To quote from Jobst Brandt's book, "Interlaced spokes take up each
others slack during severe radial loading and reduce the chance of
spokes becoming loose." How important that is depends on the spoke
count, your weight, your riding habits, whether it's a dished wheel,
and so on. I haven't had a problem with spokes going slack in a
non-interlaced 36-spoke front wheel.

Tom Ace

Old August 9th 04, 09:41 PM
Jim Smith

Simon Brooke writes:

in message , Alan Braggins
') wrote:

As an alternative something like
http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co...d/3leading.htm
could give you a different look on a standard wheel.

[three leading, three trailing]

Does anyone know why the spokes in this wheel are interwoven? Does the
interweaving add anything structurally, or is it just aesthetic? If the
'outside' spokes just ran outside the 'inside' spokes all the way to
the rim it would make lacing much easier, and replacing broken spokes a
bit easier.

I Don't know why, but I built a set of wheels three leading three trailing
following an even slightly more interlaced picture at:
http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingcl.htm
Building was fairly easy, took me about two hours to do the front and
about an hour to do the back. I don't know how hard it would be to
replace a spoke but so far I have around 3000 incident free miles on
front and rear and I weigh about 1050 newtons mass.

Old August 9th 04, 10:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Tom Ace ') wrote:

Simon Brooke wrote:

[...]

Thanks; that's kind of what I expected.

;; Generally Not Used
;; Except by Middle Aged Computer Scientists

Old August 10th 04, 11:05 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Jim Smith
') wrote:

Simon Brooke writes:

in message , Alan
Braggins ') wrote:

[...]

OK, that site raises another question. On this page
URL:http://www.stormpages.com/spokeanwheel/lacingsr.htm the author
criticises the standard half-radial lacing of rear wheels (i.e. with
the radial lacing on the non-drive side) and instead recommends
half-radial lacing with the radial lacing on the drive side. I can sort
of see the logic of this in terms of the trigonometry and the tensions
in the spokes.

So why do most half-radials not follow this pattern? Is there a problem
with transmitting torque along the length of the hub? What are the
countervailing arguments?

my other car is #Subr-Car: #5d480
;; This joke is not funny in emacs.

Breaking Spokes Roger Zoul Techniques 90 July 13th 04 06:59 PM
Go Mayo Go! Iban the Man , Can!! remove the polite word to reply Racing 11 July 9th 04 11:24 PM
Race wheels for larger rider? Boyd Speerschneider Techniques 15 June 1st 04 02:13 PM
14/15/14 vs. straight-gauge 15 David L. Johnson Techniques 25 September 2nd 03 01:49 PM
Sestriere wheels: spoke length? Chuck Liu Techniques 13 August 4th 03 11:21 PM