Q factor and short cranks

Old September 4th 05, 10:45 PM
Mikefule

Default Q factor and short cranks

I have fitted some Prowheel 102 mm cranks to my 700c. previously, I was
using cheap steel 102s.

The new cranks are lighter, but have a slight double bend which places
the pedal slightly further out from the central plane of the wheel.

The wheel now shows much more side to side wobble at speed.

Am I right in thinking that the angle of the force, relative to the
plane of the wheel is important - as well as the actual distance from
the centre of the plane. If so, this means that the same amount of
offset in short cranks has a bigger effect on short cranks than on long
ones.

I'll keep practising, but I've done a lot of miles on the 700c recently
and this speed wobble is definitely worse than it was.

Anyone know any reasonably priced straight 102 mm alloy cranks for
square tapers?

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The poor lack much, the greedy, everything.

Old September 4th 05, 11:26 PM
flyer

I have Bike Euro 110mms on my 20". They don't have any 'Q' on the go
that I can tell. They didn't fit too well on my UDC CrMo hub though.
Qu-Ax sells 102s or equivalent I think, and those appear to fit much
better. UDC should have something along the lines of what you're looking
for in any case.

--
flyer - Level 5 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old September 5th 05, 12:24 AM
unicus

I’ve just fitted some Prowheel 102 mm cranks to my 20” because 1. I kept
whacking my ankles on the cranks and 2. I kept hitting the peddles on
the floor with tight turns.

I’m hoping that because these are shorter than my last cranks (110mm)
and with the Q factor of these they’ll help. Unfortunately the hockey we
played at the Scarborough unicycle and circus convention yesterday was
on sandy astro turf which you cannot make tight turns on, well if you
want to stay on that is, so I couldn't try them out much.

As for wheel wobble, this I noticed immediately and that’s with them on
a 20” so it ought to be worse on your 700c. I’m getting used to them a
bit though I can’t get up to speed, not yet at least, but Roland has had
some for a while now and he can wiz around so they do work on a 20”.

If they don’t work out on your 700c you could always pop them on your
20” for when you come to hockey.

--
unicus - I need to change this

'Photos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Photos-from-unicus)