A March on Washington... on Bicycle?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 24th 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default I am convinced bicycling is not safe

(I guess the US is only a 3)

Originally Posted by mlts22
It depends on the part of the US. Austin, you don't need gated
communities. However, go to some other parts of the US, and a gated
community with an armed guard at the entrances is a must.

I'd give the US a 3, not because of where it is presently, but where
its headed. In Columbia, college educations are not something one goes
into major student loan debt for; they are considered an extension of
high school. Other countries are the same way, where college is paid
for by their governments.

I also give the US a 3 because of its lack of a health care system. If
despised nations such as Cuba and Iran can assure that their citizens
get proper health care without bankrupting them and their family, why
can't America do the same?

Finally, I give the US a 3 because of the lack of improvements in
communications and transport infrastructures. Instead of laying more
fiber, all the telcos and cable companies either are, or will be soon
charging by the bit. So, we are paying more for services as opposed to
less as time progresses, and this is not do to inflation. Roads too.
Take Austin. Most of its highways are proposed to end up as toll roads
(and of course this doesn't mean your commute time gets shorter...
just you pay 75 cents for the privilege of looking at another car's
bumper going home.)

***

See what I mean? I was being too soft on uncivilized behavior of all
sorts.

It sure seems to be heading down, but maybe, just maybe, Obama will
change things...

Well, I don't know but he's the last hope that we've got before
Armageddon or the Revolution. Of course, I prefer the Revolution.

Tom Danielson March 13 1978 - March 13 2008 [email protected] Racing 0 March 13th 08 09:31 AM
Mt. Washington BC nrkist Unicycling 4 August 28th 05 11:21 PM
Washington Post: A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle Ed General 12 December 12th 04 04:24 AM