Homemade U-lock rack support

Old August 13th 18, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Homemade U-lock rack support

On 2018-08-13 14:46, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 12:13:05 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-13 11:34, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 10:29:44 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white tube in
hardware stores. Black zip ties, no, bad idea, as they let the tube
slide on the sides. I would rather use some black tape.

Zip ties are also bad in terms of reliability. It seems UV rays
embrittle them and then they just fall off. A while ago I chased and
stopped an MTB rider whose rear brake hose had come loose because of
that and was chafing on the rear wheel. Luckily I always have a snippet
of wire in my tool kit. Zip ties, too, but those only for temporary fixes.

You can buy UV resistant zip ties. They're loaded with carbon black
that blocks UV. However, not all such zip ties are equally resistant
to UV. Some of the cheap junk has much less than the recommended 2%
carbon black. After having an antenna installation fall apart in
about a year due to crumbling zip ties, I bought some that are genuine
Polyamide 6.6 UV resistant per ASTM D-4066PA411. No problems so far
after about 5 years:
https://www.hellermanntyton.us/bundling-securing/cable-ties/standard-cable-ties-special-materials/
https://www.hellermanntyton.us/resources/materials
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2016/03/not-all-uv-rated-cable-ties-have-long-lifespans-on-solar-projects/

The one that popped was the stock tie from a high-Dollar Specialized
MTB. I can't imagine them being cheap on zip ties. Metal is generally
better.

I can believe it, if the big $$$$ specialized MTB builder trusted the
data sheets without testing. I had the same problem. The junk I
bought at the local hardware store said "UV resistant" on the package,
but wasn't. In order to test, polyamide (nylon) 6.6 should dissolve
in sulfuric acid. (I haven't tried this). The residue should be
mostly carbon black. By weighing everything, you can get a rough
guess for how much carbon black was used.
https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_solvent_to_solubilize_the_Polyamideexp ect_HFIP
Or, pay the price and use a proper tester:
http://www.testing-instruments.com/carbon-black-content-apparatus/

Or just use wire and be done with it. Not every little job has to turn
into a science experiment :-)

An experienced dirt bike rider told me that only a few things are
essential. Rum, duct tape, bailing wire. In that order.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 13th 18, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 14/08/18 01:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white tube in
hardware stores.

Try looking in the electrical section. There should be grey and orange
as well.
Make your choice and pick up a can of black spray paint as well. Problem
solved. Alternatively, check out old style cheapo bicycle pumps, buy a
black one and cut off top and bottom to length desired.

Old August 14th 18, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

When I wrote my post above, I considered ending with "Of course, Joerg would use
hose clamps." Now I'm sorry I resisted that impulse.

No hose clamps, wire :-)

a. Costs less that a cable tie.
b. Lasts almost forever. Well, at least longer than you and I will.
c. Much less visible.
d. Leaving the ends longer can provide extra wire for stranded cyclists.

Extra wire for stranded cyclists? I have yet to encounter a stranded cyclist who was in need of wire. For what? A roach clip? "Hey there mister, say, could you spare some wire? I sure could use some wire, mister."

You'd be better off carrying some 5M hex screws. You already have rope. you should carry some extra wheels. https://janheine.files.wordpress.com...g_to_cross.jpg

At what point is your bike so trashy that you would mount a U-lock carrier with wire -- and not even a hose clamp.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 14th 18, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white tube in
hardware stores. Black zip ties, no, bad idea, as they let the tube
slide on the sides. I would rather use some black tape.

Zip ties are also bad in terms of reliability. It seems UV rays
embrittle them and then they just fall off. A while ago I chased and
stopped an MTB rider whose rear brake hose had come loose because of
that and was chafing on the rear wheel. Luckily I always have a snippet
of wire in my tool kit. Zip ties, too, but those only for temporary fixes.

Hmm. Well, I suppose that failure is possible, but:

My wife has some wire baskets filled with flowers hanging from a steel
balcony railing that I fabricated long ago. I attached those baskets
using black zip ties at least three years ago, IIRC. Those are in full
sun for about half the day. They're still fine.

I suppose I could pass out helmets to people sitting in the patio below
the balcony...

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 14th 18, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black
tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white
tube in
hardware stores. Black zip ties, no, bad idea, as they let the tube
slide on the sides. I would rather use some black tape.

Zip ties are also bad in terms of reliability. It seems UV rays
embrittle them and then they just fall off. A while ago I chased and
stopped an MTB rider whose rear brake hose had come loose because of
that and was chafing on the rear wheel. Luckily I always have a
snippet
of wire in my tool kit. Zip ties, too, but those only for temporary
fixes.

You can buy UV resistant zip ties.Â* They're loaded with carbon black
that blocks UV.Â* However, not all such zip ties are equally resistant
to UV.Â* Some of the cheap junk has much less than the recommended 2%
carbon black.Â* After having an antenna installation fall apart in
about a year due to crumbling zip ties, I bought some that are genuine
Polyamide 6.6 UV resistant per ASTM D-4066PA411.Â* No problems so far
after about 5 years:
https://www.hellermanntyton.us/bundling-securing/cable-ties/standard-cable-ties-special-materials/

https://www.hellermanntyton.us/resources/materials
https://www.solarpowerworldonline.com/2016/03/not-all-uv-rated-cable-ties-have-long-lifespans-on-solar-projects/

The one that popped was the stock tie from a high-Dollar Specialized
MTB. I can't imagine them being cheap on zip ties. Metal is generally
better.

When I wrote my post above, I considered ending with "Of course, Joerg
would use
hose clamps." Now I'm sorry I resisted that impulse.

No hose clamps, wire :-)

a. Costs less that a cable tie.

Golly, so THAT'S how I can make my retirement money last! "Honey, we
CAN buy a little meat this week, thanks to Joerg!" :-)

b. Lasts almost forever. Well, at least longer than you and I will.

So it's not carbon steel wire? Hmm... titanium? Or just stainless? I
know galvanizing doesn't last forever.

c. Much less visible.

Oh, so it's black painted wire! But that seems like a bit of fuss.

d. Leaving the ends longer can provide extra wire for stranded cyclists.

If you want extra wire (to truss up mountain lions?) wouldn't you just
carry some in your bike bag?

Honestly, I do carry something like that in my bike bag. I carry one or
two zip ties. But I don't have any visions of using them to rescue
stranded cyclists. I'm obviously not as heroic as you.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 14th 18, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Tosspot, 2018-08-13 21:01+0200:
I've been very happy with these;

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-EaZy-Bra.../dp/B003F88PY2

Not bad, it looks quite similar to what I had before, that lasted about
two years. It is subject to torque from the lock weight as well. And it
is quite expensive too!

Just one remark, if you buy two of them, you should be able to secure
your lock from two points, eliminating most of the torque and allowing
the supports to last more than twice as long before breaking.

--
Tanguy
Old August 14th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

As I said a fallen off zip tie from a hydraulic hose, for example. I
also have zip ties with me for other purposes but they won't fit through
those lugs.

... A roach clip? "Hey there
mister, say, could you spare some wire? I sure could use some wire,
mister."

You'd be better off carrying some 5M hex screws. You already have
rope. you should carry some extra wheels.
https://janheine.files.wordpress.com...g_to_cross.jpg

At what point is your bike so trashy that you would mount a U-lock
carrier with wire -- and not even a hose clamp.

My bikes always have a certain trashiness look. Not because of the tools
as they are neatly packed in a belt pack which rides along inside the
right pannier. That also carries my wallet, cell phone, keys et cetera
so during a stop I can whip it out and strap it on. However, the bikes
always have caked mud under the tubes. Cleaning won't make much sense
because a couple rides later it would be back.

The upside of a certain trashiness level is that it makes a bike
unattractive to thieves.

Old August 14th 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

Take a look at an old, old fence somewhere near a ghost town. That's how
it's done.

c. Much less visible.

Oh, so it's black painted wire! But that seems like a bit of fuss.

No, thinner.

d. Leaving the ends longer can provide extra wire for stranded cyclists.

If you want extra wire (to truss up mountain lions?) wouldn't you just
carry some in your bike bag?

They chafe and poke. Not very practical.

Honestly, I do carry something like that in my bike bag. I carry one or
two zip ties. But I don't have any visions of using them to rescue
stranded cyclists. I'm obviously not as heroic as you.

I carry some zip ties, too. I have only helped a few stranded road
bikers but a lot of mountain bikers. Out on the trails stuff breaks.

Some people laughed about my little first aid kit that I also carry.
Only a few weeks after I bought it there was this kid that didn't
realize that Razor scooter wheels aren't MTB wheels, won't go up a curb
and ...

Old August 14th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
[...]

If your sun is like the California sun I sure would consider that after
three years.

I used to zip-tie sprinkler risers to rebar that I pounded into the
ground, to prevent them from tilting and looking ugly. All of them,
literally all of them, snapped and fell off after several years. Now
it's all wire and nothing falls off.

Sometimes the older methods are still best.

Old August 14th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 08/14/2018 09:59 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Tosspot, 2018-08-13 21:01+0200:
I've been very happy with these;

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-EaZy-Bra.../dp/B003F88PY2

Not bad, it looks quite similar to what I had before, that lasted about
two years. It is subject to torque from the lock weight as well. And it
is quite expensive too!

Just one remark, if you buy two of them, you should be able to secure
your lock from two points, eliminating most of the torque and allowing
the supports to last more than twice as long before breaking.

Mine has little torque as the holder is close to the balance point, but
they are, as you say, bloody expensive.

Mines done 3 years now.