Entry Level Bikes

Old August 12th 03, 03:56 PM
vwyob

Default Entry Level Bikes

Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

Old August 12th 03, 04:27 PM
Peter Clinch

vwyob wrote:
Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall=

blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of=

the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about =A3350=20

I assume from current popular usage that you mean sports machinery by=20
"road bike"?

!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least =A3750 quid..Is that really true ?=

??

It depends. If you want some serious machinery then, yes, you have to=20
spend serious cash, but there again you can get a bike that's perfectly=20
capable of 2 or 3 20 milers a week for =A3350. Pay more, you'll get more=
,=20
but you can get *enough* at that price to have fun. I'll leave specific =

suggestions to folk who know the market more.

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old August 12th 03, 05:18 PM
Graham

"vwyob" wrote in message
Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

Try this; http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/

Graham

Old August 12th 03, 06:08 PM
A Lee

vwyob wrote:

Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

Have a look he
http://www.paulmilnescycles.btinternet.co.uk/page3.html

I've had 3 bikes off of them, and they have all been really good.
They make up the bike when it is ordered, and take about 3 days if the
frame is available.
Alan.
--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.
Old August 12th 03, 09:43 PM
Dave

"vwyob" wrote in message
Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

Get a second hand racer out of your local press for under 50 quid. Spend the
rest on upgrading components if you feel you must, saddle for instance.
Alternately, spend it on something else....
They go from a to b, two wheels, frame, handlbars, saddle etc.....just like
the expesive ones ;-)
I've got one if you want....based in west mids...
Dave.

Old August 12th 03, 09:57 PM
Cicero

"vwyob" wrote in message
Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

==============
Your intended mileage is really quite modest and in view of this I would
suggest that you save a lot of money and buy a much cheaper bike to get
started. At your age you've probably got another 30 / 40 years of cycling in
you so you're going to buy other bikes over the years. If you do as I
suggest you will be able to use your first cheap bike as guide to your
future needs. Many people are not too enthusiastic about Halfords but they
do sell reasonable bikes at reasonable prices. If there's a branch near you
have a look - you will probably be pleasantly surprised. Alternatively have
a look in your local paper. You will often find good bikes at ridiculously
cheap prices.

Cic.

Old August 13th 03, 03:25 AM
Pete Biggs

vwyob wrote:
I have been given some info from a
local bike chappy who keeps saying i will have to spend at least £750
quid..Is that really true ???

No. The £350 bikes around now are getting pretty decent. Virtually gone
are the days of rubbish heavy frames, and steel-rimmed wheels are totally
out. The gears and brakes will be bottom of the range Shimano (Sora) but
even that actually works ok - just is *relatively* heavy and naff-looking
compared to £600+ bikes. I think it is reasonable to start with a sub
£500 bike for the kind of cycling your describe. In fact, you'll probably
find your mileages will go way over 20 miles a time when you don't mean to
sometimes because the cycling will be so good!

Sorry I can't recommend any specific models at the moment - but keep your
eyes peeled for sales and discounts.

~PB

Old August 13th 03, 08:14 AM
vwyob

Thanks guys....appreciate the advice. I now know where to start. Learn
to walk before i can run i think and save the pennies till i know what
exactly my requirements will be. I don't mind riding something that
looks naff as it is the starting point i am looking for. I live in
cornwall and there should be something realistic around i can purchase.
Cheers doooooodes!!! Andy

Old August 13th 03, 08:39 PM
Michael Green

vwyob wrote in message ...
Greetings all! Wow such a hive of info. Okay...I am 33 yr old 6 ft tall
blokey weighing in at 13 stone. I am looking for a good reliable entry
level road bike which is'nt going to break the bank as i am also one of
the crappier paid people in the uk. Price guide about £350 ( i can hear
you all laughing) but i realise that £500 is more the mark so i am going
to have to save a bit longer. I run between 4/6 miles every other day
and intend to ride about 15/20 miles 2/3 times a week. CAN YOU HELP ME
!!! I have been given some info from a local bike chappy who keeps
saying i will have to spend at least £750 quid..Is that really true ???
Cheers biking dudes.....Andy (vwyob)

I have a Dawes Comp. Giro 300. Under £300 (just... £299) nothing has
broken or fallen off and I've done about 3000 miles. Check them out,
Dawes dealers are everywhere.

Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer Techniques 52 March 11th 04 07:45 AM
Selling Spare Bikes Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 January 10th 04 01:16 AM
entry level bike -- most of money goes towards wheelset and frame? tsp General 3 September 14th 03 09:38 AM