Curious -- Why Do You Continue To Stay With ARBR

Old November 22nd 04, 10:14 PM
Skip

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"skip" wrote in message
[...]
Unaware of the Political Correctness Police,eh? It is something of a
covert operation so you will need to pay attention and listen if you are
to identify them. Here's a Political Correctness primer that will tell
you just about all you need to know to be a pc person.

http://tinyurl.com/dywk

Lots of very good humorous information there Skip. I am saving it to My
Documents so I can remind myself of where I have gone wrong. The fact is
that I know what all this political correctness crap is about, but it is
my pleasure to flaunt my NOT being politically correct. It must be hell to
be a liberal and to always have to be politically correct about
everything. I think eventually it becomes impossible to even think clearly
once you have imbibed all this political correctness horse dung.

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan the Politically Uncorrected - Minnesota

Glad you liked it. It was written for Canadians in simple, straight forward
terms that are easily understood..

A couple of my favorites from the PC Lexicon a

Cattle Ranch = Cattle Concentration Camp - Moo-shwitz
Hamburger = Seared mutilated animal flesh (SMAF)
Cheeseburger = Adding insult to injury.
Pimp-Mobile or Low Rider - Culturally responsive transportation. (PC
cyclists ought to steal this right now)

I'm getting hungry. I think I'll have a SMAF with cheese. I'm sure glad
all this took place after Jimmy Buffet wrote "Cheeseburger in Paradise".
http://tinyurl.com/4alt6

Old November 28th 04, 02:18 PM
Larry Varney

skip wrote:
"Slugger" wrote in message

I Googled "smirking moron" and Larry Varney was the third one to appear.
Here's the smirking moron passage I was remembering:

"Maybe there are some readers out there who feel just the
opposite, some women who, when hearing a southern man talking, think of
coming-out parties and carriage rides with some beau - and don't hear
some
smirking moron saying "Golluholluhollee!"

This type of liberal elitist characterization of southern men isn't a
problem with the politically correct police - as long as you aren't
referring to southern males with black skin - so you will probably want
include that little disclaimer, just to be on the safe side, as you write
these kinds of things in the future.

Anyway it's water under the bridge - think nothing more of it.

Smirking morons exist in the north as well as the south so i don't see
that as a dig on the "Southern Man".
Why is it important to include the colour of skin in a smirking moron
sentence? Blacks and whites can both be smirking morons so skin colour
does not matter.

Slugger.

I don't know Slugger, you'll have make a voice recording and send it to
Larry to see if your Canadian accent reminds him of a smirking moron. Could
be.

From what I've heard of the Canadian Political Correctness Police I
seriously doubt they would permit you to run around claiming African
Canadians sound like smirking morons. You'll have a hard time convincing me
otherwise.

skip - proud to have a Varney certified smirking moron accent

I thought I had cleared this misunderstanding up before I left for a
glorious week of triking in sunny, dry and warm Florida, but apparently not.
So, here goes one more attempt.
The "smirking moron" comment *could* have been interpreted to refer to every
southern male - but that wasn't my intention. If you'll read the article again,
you'll see that the accent reminded me of *someone else*, and I even tossed in
a famous phrase that this *someone else* used quite a bit. *That* person was
the "smirking moron" that the accent reminded me of. Surely, I'm not the only
person on this board to remember Gomer Pyle?
So, once again, I can see where my comment could have been interpreted the
way it apprently was. The "smirking moron" is not southern males in general,
but just one in particular - the character, Gomer Pyle. If I hear some guy who
has a similar accent, I am reminded of that "smirking moron" - but I do NOT
think of the person with the accent as a "smirking moron".
Everyone clear on that now?

--
Larry Varney
Cold Spring, KY

Old November 29th 04, 01:42 AM
Mark Leuck

"skip" wrote in message

Speaking of Gomer I saw one of those "separated at birth" photos of Gomer
and John Kerry. The photos were taken when they were both about the same
age and both were in military uniforms. They looked like twins. They

were
both smiling, but neither seemed to be smirking.

You can see these photos are he http://tinyurl.com/3gvc3

Disclaimer: I am *not* inferring Jim Nabors is a moron just because he
played one on TV or that John Kerry is a moron just because he looks like

TV moron.

Being the good ole southern boy that I am, I've spent more than my fair
share of time in the Okefenokee where the gators rule absolutely. I've

got
a lot of alligator photos, but after a while they all start looking the
same. I think we can agree it's better to photograph southern women.

Great, now you've just opened up the whole "Gomer Pyle: Was he really a
moron or secretly the smart guy?" debate

Thanks!

Old December 19th 04, 03:58 AM
John Kimmel

I'm new to this newsgroup and recumbent bikes. A lot of garbage to wade
through, but enough useful information to make it worthwhile.

Quick and easy: ignore the trolls, filter the idiots, plonk the
uninteresting threads. Don't take other people's (whom you don't even
know) sociopathic behavior personally. Stop snivelling about how awful
the newsgroup has become and start making positive contributions.

Look at rec.pets.cats.anecdotes for a newsgroup that's extremely good at
suppressing trolls.

Joe Keenan wrote:

I'm curious why folks stay with this newsgroup given that any thread
is immediately subject to contamination. (I'm being kind) Yup, I'm a
"usta be" and just stopped in to see if things had changed in a few
months.

Slow Joe Recumbo

John Kimmel

remove "x"

Old December 19th 04, 07:04 AM

Joe Keenan wrote:

I'm curious why folks stay with this newsgroup given that any

thread
is immediately subject to contamination. (I'm being kind) Yup, I'm

"usta be" and just stopped in to see if things had changed in a few
months.

Slow Joe Recumbo

John Kimmel

John,
You said: "Stop snivelling about how awful the newsgroup has become and
start making positive contributions." No snivelling here, just a
simple curiousity about why folks would spend the time to "ignore the
trolls, filter the idiots, plonk the uninteresting threads. Don't take
other people's (whom you don't even know) sociopathic behavior
personally." when there are so many other boards out there where you
don't have to do all that. And I got some "makes sense" answers
especially when it comes to having an unmoderated versus a modereated
board.

If you'll check my posts, you'll see that when there's something posted
where I think I can contribute, I do. DejaNews, the predecessor, was
incredibly helpful to me, so in a way I have a vested interest. The
folks on that newsgroup back in the late 90's helped me. I try to
return that favor by helping someone new, when I can.
Cheers,

Slow Joe Recumbo

remove "x"

Old December 20th 04, 02:58 AM
John Kimmel

I try to
return that favor by helping someone new, when I can.
Cheers,

Slow Joe Recumbo

I would appreciate it if you would post links to the other forums you've
mentioned. I've looked at recumbents.com, and it's practically dead.
Also, I consider it bad form to selectively "quote" large tracts of a
by everything I say, except when I'm wrong.

I came to this newsgroup first, because I knew that this is where the
information I wanted would be. I knew that this group would be
populated with many kooks, but I like it anyway. I got a line on a
recumbent bike I want to buy here. I have gotten a lot of links to
interesting web sites about recumbent bikes and it's quicker than using
Google. I haven't even asked any questions yet, but I will in a moment.
Yes, it's a very corrupt newsgroup, with many contributors using it to
broadcast to the whole world their otherwise mercifully repressed
emotions, but if it weren't for this newsgroup in the last few days, I
wouldn't even know about the other nice safe moderated forums.

I think it is more important for a newsgroup to be active than strictly
on-topic. When I compare an unmoderated, wild and crazy newsgroup like
this one to the (casually) moderated yahoo groups I follow, this one is
much more interesting, it has a lot more useful information, and while I
have to wade through a lot of crap to find it, I can also filter it and
search it to find the information I want. Like who's selling bikes. If
I stick around, I will learn whose posts are worth reading (posts with
useful or interesting information about recumbent bikes).

If I'd been paying attention, I wouldn't have responded to a thread that
was dead for a month. I'm sorry that I don't have any useful
information on recumbent bikes, but I'm new.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.