A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet??????

Old February 19th 05, 05:05 PM

Default A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet??????

It sure is nice to know that a few people are
prepared for the $48. a barrel oil and are
laughing about it. Happy Presidents Day

It's a gas, gas, gas.......

Old February 19th 05, 06:35 PM
Zach

Wasn't oil going for about $55/barrel a couple months ago? Whatever it
is the price is much too low and I hope it goes above $100/barrel to
pay for the real costs. Then maybe the excessive number of oversized,
overweight, single occupant vehicles will get off our roads so we have
more space for more benign forms of transportation such as riding
recumbents.

Zach

Old February 19th 05, 08:08 PM
skip

"Zach" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wasn't oil going for about $55/barrel a couple months ago? Whatever it
is the price is much too low and I hope it goes above $100/barrel to
pay for the real costs. Then maybe the excessive number of oversized,
overweight, single occupant vehicles will get off our roads so we have
more space for more benign forms of transportation such as riding
recumbents.

Zach

Zach:

I agree the price of oil is low based on historic prices adjusted for
inflation. And that it would be nice to have more room on the roads. But
I'm thinking were better be careful what we are wish for. Industrialized
nations have an oil based economy and doubling that cost could wreak havoc
on the global economy. With globalization everything is now connected in
some way. Doubling the price of oil would do a lot more than just getting
some SUV's off the road.

I'm guessing your business needs a good economy to survive - and when I say
a good economy I'm talking about a normal expansion - recession business
cycle. In a truly depressed economy I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be much
of a market for bicycles in the $1,000 to $5,000 range. I should think
those dealers in the high end of the bike market would be ill equipped to
compete those in the much larger scale low end of the market.

skip

Old February 19th 05, 08:42 PM
Joshua Goldberg

always wondered why it is not known as Happy "Dead Presidents Day" since it
came into being long after Lincoln and Washington were dead.

ups.com...

Old February 20th 05, 12:39 AM
Mark Leuck

"Zach" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wasn't oil going for about $55/barrel a couple months ago? Whatever it
is the price is much too low and I hope it goes above $100/barrel to
pay for the real costs. Then maybe the excessive number of oversized,
overweight, single occupant vehicles will get off our roads so we have
more space for more benign forms of transportation such as riding
recumbents.

Zach

And if that happens you will be spending double for that recumbent

Old February 20th 05, 02:10 AM
Zach

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wasn't oil going for about $55/barrel a couple months ago? Whatever

it
is the price is much too low and I hope it goes above $100/barrel

pay for the real costs. Then maybe the excessive number of

oversized,
overweight, single occupant vehicles will get off our roads so we

have
more space for more benign forms of transportation such as riding
recumbents.

Zach

And if that happens you will be spending double for that recumbent

No big deal, it will still be much less expensive than a car.

Zach

Old February 20th 05, 03:43 AM
Mark Leuck

"Zach" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
ups.com...
Wasn't oil going for about $55/barrel a couple months ago? Whatever

it
is the price is much too low and I hope it goes above $100/barrel

pay for the real costs. Then maybe the excessive number of

oversized,
overweight, single occupant vehicles will get off our roads so we

have
more space for more benign forms of transportation such as riding
recumbents.

Zach

And if that happens you will be spending double for that recumbent

No big deal, it will still be much less expensive than a car.

Zach

Then again that is assuming you can buy that recumbent by then

I fail to understand the logic of people who wish the worst on everyone else
so they can have more what they happen to like doing

Old February 20th 05, 03:57 AM
Zach

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Zach" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

In case you haven't noticed the world is going to hell due to overuse
of resources and the large number of people driving single occupant,
inefficient vehicles burning up petrol as if it were water has got to
stop if life on earth is to survive. Anything that can be done to
discourage destroying the environment through driving and excessive
resource use is a worthy cause in my book. I'm willing to suffer
reduced convenience to help save the world but many aren't and won't
start conserving resources and reducing their pollution output until it
becomes too expensive for them to drive. This is the beginning of the
peak oil age and things are going to get a lot worse before they get
better. Hopefully humanity can correct itself before it is too late and
the mass die off occurs. It is already starting to happen. Look at what
is going on with global warming and how many people are dying in wars
these days.

Zach

Old February 20th 05, 03:59 AM

At first thought, getting back to rickshaws, recumbents and t-t-t-t-,
all right; spit it out- ten speeds and basic hpv-everything would be
terrific for me.

But when it comes to flooding, teens shooting everyone, masses of used
car sales-service (new cars too, for that matter) this state alone
would have waves of devastation (economic, housing, heat/cold, on and
on).

I do not know what will happen one year to the next. I am prepared
with my bent, but I hope anarchy never happens when the oil life blood
stops and everyone is forced to pedal.

I enjoyed the microcar museum on my computer, but small cars in Europe
didn't last very long after WWII. Those vehicles could easily become
human powered hybrids, but going from a fun open trike to
"claustrophobic" would be hard for me.

I'm becoming as "flip-flop" about transportation as most polititions
are!

Old February 20th 05, 04:06 AM
Mark Leuck

"Zach" wrote in message
oups.com...
Then again that is assuming you can buy that recumbent by then

I fail to understand the logic of people who wish the worst on

everyone else
so they can have more what they happen to like doing

In case you haven't noticed the world is going to hell due to overuse
of resources and the large number of people driving single occupant,
inefficient vehicles burning up petrol as if it were water has got to
stop if life on earth is to survive.

That is your opinion, if it weren't for oil you wouldn't have even a
fraction of what you now have including your recumbent, Oil is used in the
production and transportation of your bike as well as just about everything
else you currently use

And the earth will survive just fine long after we puny humans are gone no
matter what we do

Anything that can be done to
discourage destroying the environment through driving and excessive
resource use is a worthy cause in my book. I'm willing to suffer
reduced convenience to help save the world but many aren't and won't
start conserving resources and reducing their pollution output until it
becomes too expensive for them to drive.

You go ahead and suffer but I see no reason why I need to just so you can
have a better time on your bike

This is the beginning of the
peak oil age and things are going to get a lot worse before they get
better.

We'll wait and see, I have a strong feeling it won't happen quite the way
you appear to want

Hopefully humanity can correct itself before it is too late and
the mass die off occurs.

It always does

It is already starting to happen. Look at what
is going on with global warming and how many people are dying in wars
these days.

Zach

People have been dying for something for centries, before oil it was land,
before that it was religion in fact these days it's religion over oil, and
I've heard the "this is the peak oil age" back in the 70's when it was
projected oil would run out in 20 years, didn't wash then and it doesn't
now.