Unsafe at any speed?-Path beside Beach Rd

Old April 30th 07, 03:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

Default Unsafe at any speed?-Path beside Beach Rd

me wrote:
TimC wrote:

Heh. I take it as my civil duty to walk slowly across roads and
never rush when a car is waiting for me

Huzzah! I do a fair bit of this behaviour (although being observant of
aggressive tools etc)

I hope you guys feel really good about that. I suppose a bit of courtesy is
too much to ask. I try not to hold anyone up any longer than necessary.

I *really* despise those situations when a
motorist attempts to put the frighteners on less mobile peds, like
mums with prams and the less fleet of foot. So where possible, do your
civil duty, and accidently on purpose, walk/cycle a bit slower so
others can walk without being unduly intimidated.

Agreed.

Theo

Old April 30th 07, 03:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

EuanB wrote:

Fact is that motorists have passed a test and, in the
main, I find that they're much easier to work with than pedestrians.

And yet, most of those pedestrians have passed their driving licence test as
some point in their lives. Do we need a pedestrian licence?

Theo

Old April 30th 07, 03:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_94_]

EuanB Wrote:

I'm interested in the accreditation, could you provide the details of
you training provider please?

Cycling Australia: CA conducts 4 levels of Coach Education, to fully
support the nurturing and development of cycling athletes. These
coaching courses are delivered under the strict guidelines of the
National Coach Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) a program of the Australian
Sports Commission (ASC) and is managed by the ASC's Coaching &
Officiating Unit.
All accredited Cycling Coaches are recognised as having met the
standards under the NCAS, which are recognised by the Commonwealth and
state / territory governments.

Courses are available for :

-
- _CycleSkill,_ a course specifically targeted at the coach who
desires to assist novice cyclists in the areas of bicycle skills,
road worthiness, the correct choice and fitment of cycling equipment
and optimising bicycle set up using existing equipment. The course
duration is 1 day. Additional information maybe obtained from CA.
-
- _Level_1_, a course for the coach who assists club and state level
cyclists to develop their fitness and hone their racing skills. This
course addresses basic fitnessdevelopment, nutrition, strength and
conditioning, an understanding of Drugs in Sport. The course is 2
full days and is conducted by each state cycling federation.
- _Level_2_, an advanced coaching course aimed at the coach who works
with elite athletes competing in National Championships. In
particular, this course underpins an emerging elite junior athlete
who seeks to represent Australia at World Junior or Under 23 World
Championships. The course is conducted annually over 5 1/2 days and
provides in depth information on physiology and physiology
assessment, performance monitoring and assessment, sports psychology,
advanced racing skill and race preparation, recovery and crisis
management of the injured cyclist. Further details can be obtained
from Ron Bonham, National Coaching Director -
- _Level_3_, an advanced coaching course for the coach who seeks
coaching as a profession. Further information can be obtained by
emailing

In Vic its meant to be run by CSV, but they had hassles organising it
and CA assisted for the early 07 course. You have to register via CSV
web site , there is a fee and an element of hard copy course materials
completion and instruction at DISC.

--
rooman

Old April 30th 07, 03:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-30, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
me wrote:
TimC wrote:

Heh. I take it as my civil duty to walk slowly across roads and
never rush when a car is waiting for me

Huzzah! I do a fair bit of this behaviour (although being observant of
aggressive tools etc)

I hope you guys feel really good about that. I suppose a bit of courtesy is
too much to ask. I try not to hold anyone up any longer than necessary.

There's a footpath. There's a carpark into a shopping centre, and
cars need to cross the footpath to get into it. It is required of
cars to give way to pedestrians when entering and leaving private
property (in fact, I believe the road regs say cars are required to
give way to peds crossing the road when the car is entering or leaving
a sidestreet too; but mum still tells me to hurry up and go through
the roundabout when I'm waving peds through the roundabout). I see so
many peds realise that a driver is waiting for them while they are
walking along a footpath with right of way, and so they rush along the
footpath.

But why?

I have no desire to put myself under undue stress by rushing
everywhere. What makes the car driver fundamentally more important
than me that requires them to be delayed the least amount of time
possible in any given situation? Why is my going about my business
less important than them going about their business, such that I need
to rush?

--
TimC
An engineer is someone who does list processing in FORTRAN.
Old April 30th 07, 03:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-30, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
A motorist being
careful about lane discipline is behaving like every other motorist.

Hah! Things really do differ between the capital cities. Melbourne
drivers wouldn't have a clue what a lane is, other than it keeps the
trams from straying out from their tracks.

--
TimC
All theoretical chemistry is really physics; and all theoretical
Old April 30th 07, 03:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

On Apr 30, 12:44 pm, TimC -
On 2007-04-30, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)

me wrote:
TimC wrote:

[...]

Why rush, rush, rush? Have you considered terminal incurable
stupidity ?

Old April 30th 07, 04:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_151_]

rooman Wrote:

In Vic its meant to be run by CSV, but they had hassles organising it
and CA assisted for the early 07 course. You have to register via CSV
web site , there is a fee and an element of hard copy course materials
completion and instruction at DISC.

Interesting by comparison to the Skills Cycle and Level 1 Coaching
Courses avaliable via Cycling NSW at Homebush, as apparently BUG
members are taking the opportunity to enroll in these courses. Pretty
sure that was that course (mentioned in passing), although feel free to
correct me. In Vic, there's Ted and Maree at Wilcare, I believe the
course I'll hopefully volunteering in, is accredited via them.

--
cfsmtb

Old April 30th 07, 04:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:47:13 +1000
On 2007-04-30, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
A motorist being
careful about lane discipline is behaving like every other motorist.

Hah! Things really do differ between the capital cities. Melbourne
drivers wouldn't have a clue what a lane is, other than it keeps the
trams from straying out from their tracks.

They know. But they do as others do. Which is the point

(and they do stay in the lane when there aren't tram tracks in my
experience.)

Zebee
Old April 30th 07, 04:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shane Stanley

In article ,
EuanB wrote:

All mandatory training will do is discourage people from riding.

Hear, hear!

One minute we're lamenting the nanny state, people's inability to take
responsibility for their own actions, and the fact that kids don't ride
to school any more, next thing we're talking about stopping people from
riding if they don't do some still-vaguely-defined training.

And the chance of the "get-them-out-of-the-way-for-their-own-safety"
types getting their mits on what's taught is even more frightening.

--
Shane Stanley
Old April 30th 07, 05:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-30, Shane Stanley (aka Bruce)
In article ,
EuanB wrote:

All mandatory training will do is discourage people from riding.

Hear, hear!

One minute we're lamenting the nanny state, people's inability to take
responsibility for their own actions, and the fact that kids don't ride
to school any more, next thing we're talking about stopping people from
riding if they don't do some still-vaguely-defined training.

I never said anything about stopping people from riding if they don't
have training. You're missing which sense I mean by "mandatory".

Not mandatory as in "you can't cycle if you don't have training".
Mandatory in the sense as in "you can't pass primary and high school
qualifications if you don't do the training".

No tests needed at all at the local LBS. No license required to be
presented to the shop owner upon buying a new bike.

Ain't going to happen, but a guy can dream.

--
TimC
Hacking's just another word for nothing left to kludge.