those darned NYC cyclists again

Old October 18th 18, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 19th 18, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.

Humour = Tragedy + Distance.

Old October 19th 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:00:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.

Good thing it wasn't the $680,000 model.
Why would anyone wear, much less buy, a $95,000 watch?
Hopefully, it's insured:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=patek+philippe+most+expensive+wa tch
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/all-models

I can just imagine the thief offering it for sale.
"Hey mister. Wanna buy a $95,000 wrist watch, cheap"?
I wonder if he'll take a check?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 19th 18, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 3:01:00 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what you get for cigarette smoking.
Old October 19th 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

AMuzi, 2018-10-19 00:00+0200:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

No harm done. The victim just has to buy a news watch for an
infinitesimal fraction of the price of the original one, to get the same
features, i.e. get the time.

--
Tanguy
Old October 19th 18, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 17:00:53 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...ks-swiped-95k-

watch-off-his-wrist/

Funny story if it's someone else's watch.

A) A fool and their "money" is soon parted.
B) I hope he has the purchase receipt when he makes the insurance claim.
C) He didn't have all reound cams?

Old October 19th 18, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:27:19 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

AMuzi, 2018-10-19 00:00+0200:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

No harm done. The victim just has to buy a news watch for an
infinitesimal fraction of the price of the original one, to get the same
features, i.e. get the time.

I don't think you understand why people buy such seriously overpriced
devices. It's not to tell the time. It's a form of conspicuous
consumption designed to impress your friends and associates. In other
words, bragging rights. Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire
Now, if you really want a wris****ch suitable for impressing your
friends, I would think that a Cesium 133 standard would be best:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846511652/the-worlds-first-true-atomic-wris****ch-the-cesium
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1376&bih=941&tbm=isch&q=wris****ch+atom ic+clock&oq=wris****ch+atomic+clock
Or, perhaps something more mechanical:
https://www.businessinsider.com/6-strange-expensive-watches-2014-11
or, just plain weird:
https://www.boredpanda.com/creative-watches
Personally, I prefer a more traditional sundial:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wrist+sundial&tbm=isch

Old October 19th 18, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit. Many of the other big names in expensive watches buy in their movements from Eterna, whose own watches are another favorite of mine. I don't actually wear a watch because I'm always accompanied by people to keep me on schedule, but I collect watches, and always have, as fine expressions of man's mechanical genius. Others who make their own movements are the two really big names besides Patek, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, plus some a fraction below them. That's what distinguishes a real watchmaker from the rest: making his own mechanical movements. The rest sell empty style built around someone else's movements but, while one of the double-barrels is an investment, the stylists' only guarantee is that in ten years they will be worth a fraction of what was paid for them.

You might also be interested in electronic watches, in which I own the two most complicated complications watches, both from Citizen, one a minute repeater, which is the zenith of complications.

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.
Old October 19th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/19/2018 2:00 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Down here at the lower end of consumer goods, one of the
most beautiful watches I ever owned was a 1980 Citizen with
day of week in Kanji. Sadly, it didn't survive an otherwise
not serious bike wreck. (last watch I bought new in a retail
store)

Old October 19th 18, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their
own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit.

You're probably correct. I know NOTHING about high end wrist watches.
I went to the Patek Philippe web pile, read a few pages, failed to see
any mention of innovation and that they design and build their own
movements, but did find that they hand-finished their movements. For
someone with no prior knowledge of the industry, that would be a fair
assessment. When you pointed out that they do design and make their
own movements, I went back to their web pile and searched for any
indication that they designed and made their own movements. Nothing,
unless I read between the lines and use my imagination well beyond
acceptable limits.

You might also be interested in electronic watches, in which I
own the two most complicated complications watches, both from
Citizen, one a minute repeater, which is the zenith of complications.

Thanks, but I'm not into watches. When I started carrying a cell
phone, I didn't see the need and considered a wris****ch redundant. It
might also be dangerous because I preferred a metal band, which could
provide a conduction path for a nasty shock or burn. That hasn't
happened to me, but I know several people who have had watch band and
ring burns.

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.