Need facts for Tour de Georgia Brasstown Bald

Old March 15th 05, 07:15 PM
lgcowie

Default Need facts for Tour de Georgia Brasstown Bald

Who went last year?

Can you drive up early in the day?

Is/was there a jumbo TV at the top/finish line?

When do you need to arrive?

Please help, I don't know the area at all.....

Old March 20th 05, 08:59 PM
psycholist

I attempted to go last year. If you're not on your way up the mountain by
8:00 a.m. ... forget it. My wife and I arrived at 9:00 and the lines for
the shuttle buses going up the mountain were hundreds of people long. I
don't believe any cars are allowed up the mountain. You park on the road at
the foot and shuttle buses take you up. I don't know about the big screen
TV at the top, but the thing was so well organized at every venue I saw that
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a big screen. Anyway, as I said, when we
arrived at 9:00 it was already a hopeless situation unless you were willing
to endure ridiculously long waits for the shuttles. I suppose you could go
up on foot. My wife wasn't up for that. Heck, at 9:00 we would have had to
park a mile away at least.

There are quite a number of other good climbs where you can see the race
without the incredible crowds. Hogpen Gap is one off the best alternatives.
I heard good reports of the view on that ascent ... but also I heard it was
fun viewing watching the pros scream down the back side of that mountain. I
was on the next little no-name mountain after that and had a wonderful view
as the race went by. And when it was over, I was out of there with no
traffic problems at all.

FYI, Brasstown Bald is just south of the town of Hiawassee, GA. Hogpen Gap
is just west (I think) of Dahlonega, GA. Those two towns aren't that far
apart. It's a very beautiful region of Georgia. Well, in fact, it's
precisely where Deliverance was filmed. They've come a long way. From
Bubbas with banjos to an international bike race!

Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
ups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 05:26 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:59:09 -0500 in rec.bicycles.rides,
"psycholist" wrote:

Anyway, as I said, when we
arrived at 9:00 it was already a hopeless situation unless you were willing
to endure ridiculously long waits for the shuttles. I suppose you could go
up on foot.

or ride your bike up... ;^)