28 mph e-bikes

Old September 2nd 19, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default 28 mph e-bikes

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.
Old September 2nd 19, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019 20:55:05 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

Wouldn't it be even safer if people walked :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 2nd 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman[_2_]

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 8:47:28 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-4, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Stephen Bauman wrote:
This link may explain the National Park Service's sudden interest in promoting 28 mph mopeds on nature trails.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/juice...ic-moped-bike/

Useless pedals. Replace with dead-man's switch on handlebar.

As I recall, the legal specs require that the motor can't be putting out power
unless the person pedals. The bikes that use power without pedaling are limited
to something like 19 miles per hour.

But I imagine there will be plenty of people hot-rodding these bikes. Supposedly
one can buy chips to do that already. Which is not a good development.

- Frank Krygowski

I've disagree with the pedal assist vs. without pedaling distinction. Conflicts are due to performance differences regardless of how the performance is achieved.
Old September 2nd 19, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

Wouldn't it be even safer if people walked :-)

Not according to research by John Pucher of Rutgers. His numbers show
pedestrians have over three times the fatality-per-mile rate of bicyclists.

British data also shows cycling to be safer per mile than walking. Ditto
some old Australian data, and IIRC several European countries.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 2nd 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 8:55:07 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

Really, not even on a big wheel? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirBFFQXdS4 That's an arterial in my neighborhood. My top speed on that was 51 mph on a road bike -- no leathers or body armor (no road construction, either). Most cyclists skip that hill and go down via the cemetery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXgvgWIURY&t=253s You do have to watch your speed there because of all the walkers and other cyclists -- and tractors and leaves. Fixie dope version 2.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_jDIuRBEP0&t=104s start at 2:00. What's the life expectancy for a rear tire on a dope bike like that. A day?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 3rd 19, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

Wouldn't it be even safer if people walked :-)

Not according to research by John Pucher of Rutgers. His numbers show
pedestrians have over three times the fatality-per-mile rate of bicyclists.

But could that be that is because there are three times as many of
them :-)

British data also shows cycling to be safer per mile than walking. Ditto
some old Australian data, and IIRC several European countries.

For example
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...jan/11/fitness
I read that Presumably cycling is more dangerous than walking? Not so
- 671 pedestrians were killed in 2004, at a rate of 43 per billion km.
Really? But why compare auto's that travel at, perhaps 60 kmh and
bicycles that travel perhaps 30 kmh with pedestrian that maybe travel
4 kmh.

After all 43/billion is (if I got my numbers right) 1/23235813 km. At
4 km/h that is 663 years, or what about 9.5 lifetimes?

Walking is dangerius?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 8th 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 8:55:07 PM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
The problem isn't e-bikers going 28mph. It's *anyone* going 28mph in a real city. I think 20mph inside city limits (under pain of death) is plenty fast enough where there are humans and other living things present.

I was riding with a guy yesterday and he was telling me about a friend of his with an Aluminum E-bike. The bike broke the head tube off at the down tube. He didn't crash but consider what would have occurred at 28 mph.
Old September 8th 19, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 7:41:51 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That's just the opposite of my camera - that one makes it look like he's going fast when he can easily put a foot down. On mine on the fastest and scariest descents it appears to be moving in slow motion. I stopped using that camera.