Does anything dissolve paint thinner

Old September 12th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Does anything dissolve paint thinner

On 9/12/2019 3:30 PM, incredulous wrote:
I recall from this forum 10-15 ago that it wasn’t hard to demonstrate that the important dirt about chains is inside not on the chains; and the bad news is that it was difficult or futile to rinse or flush all the wear-causing abrasive grit from plain-bearing surfaces.

Which is why some of us lubricate chains with paraffin-oil mixes applied
hot. The wax rejects most of the road grit. Chains stay far cleaner,
last longer and by some tests, are more efficient.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 12th 19, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2019 2:30 PM, incredulous wrote:
I recall from this forum 10-15 ago that it wasn’t hard to demonstrate that the important dirt about chains is inside not on the chains; and the bad news is that it was difficult or futile to rinse or flush all the wear-causing abrasive grit from plain-bearing surfaces.

Harry Travis
Portland OREGON USA

+1
excellent summary (except for ultrasound, which is different
from other cleaning techniques)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 12th 19, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:26:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 10:24:01 AM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:
writes:

Naptha was used by the dry cleaning industry until the '60s, when it
was discovered to be carcinogenic. Then perchlorethylene (sp?) or
"perc" started to be used. Although perc was also carcinogenic, the
theory was that the machines using it were designed to recover 100% of
it, so the employees wouldn't be exposed to it. But the machines only
did that when they were maintained properly; perc tended to degrade
the rubber seals quickly; and the dry cleaning shop owners didn't want
to spend the money to maintain their machines that well, and they
leaked into the work area. So perc turned out to be carcinogenic "as
applied" (you constitutional law guys will know what that
means. Reading, Jay?)

Naphtha is a petroleum fraction roughly the weight of gasoline, but too
low octane to be useful as a motor fuel. Its composition is variable,
but it can be expected to contain benzene and other aromatics, which are
carcinogenic. It's also as flammable as gasoline, so take care.

I once heard that pouring mothballs (Napthalene) into your gas tank gives a big horsepower boost until it burns out the exhaust valves, But I have no first-hand experience and could be wrong.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/i-ha...ht-naphthalene
https://priuschat.com/threads/adding...tter-gas.1695/
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 12th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:30:28 -0700 (PDT), incredulous
wrote:

I recall from this forum 10-15 ago that it wasn’t hard to demonstrate that the important dirt about chains is inside not on the chains; and the bad news is that it was difficult or futile to rinse or flush all the wear-causing abrasive grit from plain-bearing surfaces.

Harry Travis
Portland OREGON USA

Possibly true but abrasive damage is also a factor of quantity. A lot
of dirt undoubtedly causes more wear than a little dirt.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 13th 19, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 2:58:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 2:30 PM, incredulous wrote:
I recall from this forum 10-15 ago that it wasn’t hard to demonstrate that the important dirt about chains is inside not on the chains; and the bad news is that it was difficult or futile to rinse or flush all the wear-causing abrasive grit from plain-bearing surfaces.

Harry Travis
Portland OREGON USA

+1
excellent summary (except for ultrasound, which is different
from other cleaning techniques)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That super heavy detergent that I use - you can put what appears to be a clean chain in it, let it sit for 10 minutes, shake the chain and the water/detergent blackens from the residue that is washed out of the interior bearing surfaces of the links.

The only negative I can see is that it dulls the finish on wheels, so you always have to pull the chain to clean it. Easy enough with quick links.