A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 13th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 757
Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.
Ads
  #2  
Old September 13th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,695
Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #3  
Old September 13th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 757
Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 5:20:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


The problem is with 11 speeds I have to also replace the rear and front derailleurs, rear cassette, the cranks and the chain.

I have tried using a 10 speed cassette that was actually an 11 with a missing cog and it is noisy as hell. You absolutely have to use an 11 speed chain. Then the front derailleur doesn't work properly.
  #4  
Old September 13th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,169
Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:39:04 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 5:20:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


The problem is with 11 speeds I have to also replace the rear and front derailleurs, rear cassette, the cranks and the chain.

I have tried using a 10 speed cassette that was actually an 11 with a missing cog and it is noisy as hell. You absolutely have to use an 11 speed chain. Then the front derailleur doesn't work properly.


Try Google: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RS405-R.html

Problem solved, assuming you're updating a Shimano equipped bike and not Campagnolo. And why do you want hydro discs? You were claiming they were dangerous and put you over the bars on your CX bike.

BTW, I updated my commuter to 11sp so I could get hydro discs for the long rainy season. I should have gone with the Tiagra 10sp and saved some dough.. Anyway, my FD is a 600EX museum piece, and it works fine. My crank is a 10sp, and it works fine. You don't need to update those things, unless you are switching over from Campy and there is some other issue.

-- Jay Beattie.
  #5  
Old September 13th 19, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 757
Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:11:47 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:39:04 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 5:20:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


The problem is with 11 speeds I have to also replace the rear and front derailleurs, rear cassette, the cranks and the chain.

I have tried using a 10 speed cassette that was actually an 11 with a missing cog and it is noisy as hell. You absolutely have to use an 11 speed chain. Then the front derailleur doesn't work properly.


Try Google: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RS405-R.html

Problem solved, assuming you're updating a Shimano equipped bike and not Campagnolo. And why do you want hydro discs? You were claiming they were dangerous and put you over the bars on your CX bike.

BTW, I updated my commuter to 11sp so I could get hydro discs for the long rainy season. I should have gone with the Tiagra 10sp and saved some dough. Anyway, my FD is a 600EX museum piece, and it works fine. My crank is a 10sp, and it works fine. You don't need to update those things, unless you are switching over from Campy and there is some other issue.

-- Jay Beattie.


I am sort of upgrading this bike so that my friend who intends to visit next year will have a bike that fits him. After realizing that it is already a Shimano set and I would have to change everything anyway to make it Campy, I bought the Potenza levers. My friend is so afraid of carbon fiber now that he won't even use CF LEVERS. So all will be replaced. And since he has been riding in Phoenix his climbing is gone. Here he was fast up the climbs.

I would like to put a Shimano bike together but I think that I'll save that for the Basso after I have it powder coated etc.

But since the medium arm Potenza derailleur can shift a 32 tooth cog, I no longer have to worry about putting him on a double ring.

Though his wife may require a bit of thought since my intentions are to rebuild my wife's Colnago Master 54 cm. Our visitor normally rides a 56 but since the Colnago has a long top tube I can probably get away with it. All I would have to do is have the rear triangle spread to 11 speed, get a set of Ultegra 11 speed levers, wheels (think I have a set that just needs a Shimano freehub) compact cranks and an 11-32 cassette. (A Colnago Master weighs in roughly at 2 1/2 tons)

My wife has been riding her Mercian and plainly there was never a better steel lugged bike built. You can even tell that pushing the bike while holding the saddle - you can steer that bike without a thought.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fixing leaky tektro hydraulic disk master cyclinder [email protected] UK 0 April 1st 09 07:51 PM
Do they make drop handlebars with a very short drop? [email protected] General 6 July 30th 06 03:50 PM
Hydraulic Disk Henrik Palshøj Mountain Biking 2 October 3rd 05 08:45 AM
Solid carbon disk wheel vs Campagnolo kevlar Ghibli disk wheels [email protected] Techniques 6 September 12th 05 06:45 PM
Solid carbon disk wheel vs Campagnolo kevlar Ghibli disk wheels [email protected] Racing 5 September 12th 05 04:56 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.