Problems with upper gears

Old September 14th 19, 04:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Problems with upper gears

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 18:38:30 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:11:47 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 17:14:05 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 7:57:26 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/10/2019 5:39 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 2:17:40 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/8/2019 3:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 10:35:43 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

The 8 shifter is compatible.
Common problems include cable/casing/ferrule issues and rear
changer misalignment.
It ought to shift well and quietly with all new equipment.
This has a new seven chain, new FW and new cable/casing right?

Since when is an 8-speed shifter compatible with a 6-speed cassette or freewheel?

Cheers

Yikes. You're right. I missed that.

If it's still a SIX freewheel, there's no way that shifter
could work.

And by the way, WTF? Six shifters are cheap and plentiful.
As are Sevens.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Didn't 6,7 and 8 all have the same spacing? So that you could use a 8 spd shifter on a 6 speed? I would turn my daughter's 6 speed downtube shifter to friction and let her shift the 8 until I found some brifters.

7 & 8 are very similar. Six is not even close and spacing is
visually so different I can't believe anyone would even try it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The new 6-speed shifter will not be in till next week for the change out, so I am still using a SunRace 8 speed index shifter with a 6-speed freewheel.

Today my bike started acting strangely.

It would start being harder to pedal when in several of the lower gears.

I had to stop several times to loosen the derailleur a little to get home.

Could that possibly be caused by having an 8-speed shifter with a 6 speed freewheel?

Andy

Why don't you sit down an look at the rear derailer. Move the shifter
and look what happens. If you have the correct shifter to match the
derailer and rear wheel sprockets then every time you click the
shifter the derailer will move to line up with the next rear wheel
sprocket. If the shifter, derailer, rear wheel sprockets are not
matched it won't line up and the more you move it the worse the
misalignment gets.

It is not rocket science!
--
cheers,

John B.

You might want to read posts more carefully.

Key words are "8-speed shifter" and "6-speed freewheel."

:-)

Andy

And my "key words" were "and If the shifter, derailer, rear wheel
sprockets are not matched it won't line up".
(and from what I read, it didn't :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 14th 19, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

An 8-speed shifter will not work with a 6-speed cluster unless the 8-speed shifter has a FRICTION option as well as he index one. Can you post a link to an image of your rear 8-speed shifter? Perhaps then we can tell you if it has that needed friction option.

I wish I'd looked in my parts boxes earlier in this thread as I found some 6-speed twist-grip shifters in it. I'd send you one gratis if you hadn't already ordered one.

Cheers
Old September 14th 19, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the offer.

I am getting a 6-speed shifter. It will not cost me anything.

Shimano Tourney Tx50 3x6-speed Thumb Shifter Set

Andy

I got this feedback.

If you noticed the chain chattering on the sprocket, then yes, it could be caused by using an 8-speed shifter with a 6-speed freewheel. With indexed shifting, all the drivetrain parts are designed to work together, and if you've got a mismatch--as you do here--you can expect the shifter to pull the chain out of alignment with the sprocket.
Old September 14th 19, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

I liked the 7-speed Tourney thmb-shifters I put on my sister's bike a number of years ago,. What was nice about them was that the rear shifter could also be set to index mode. I think the friction mode has been dropped on newer ones.

I think you'll really like your new Tourney 6-speed thumb shifters.

Sometimes I wonder if by anchoring the cable onto a rear derailleur differently than the norms position sort of like people do with hubbub cable routing, if it'd be possible to get an 8-speed shifter to work with a 6-speed cogset. Hmm, something to play with sometime this winter when I'm bored and the weather is too nasty for safe bicycling.

Good luck, enjoy the new shifters when you get them mounted, and cheers.