Enough is enough

Old September 15th 19, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Default Enough is enough

We have a great road network, unfortunately it is infested with cars.
I suggest we stop issuing any more driving licences. New drivers can put their name on a waiting list until a current licence holder dies or surrenders their licence for medical reasons or gets disqualified for criminal activity such as speeding.

Old September 15th 19, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/09/2019 00:39, Simon Jester wrote:

We have a great road network, unfortunately it is infested with cars.

I suggest we stop issuing any more driving licences. New drivers can put their name on a waiting list until a current licence holder dies or surrenders their licence for medical reasons or gets disqualified for criminal activity such as speeding.

Nice troll attempt.

A much better and fairer system would be a requirement for all motor
vehicles to be kept off the road at night when at or near their
registered keeper's (or other daily user's) addresses.

This would mean that streets would not not filled with nose to tail
parked cars and that all cars were off the road unless in use away from
home (a minimum distance of at least, say, five miles would have to be
used as the arbiter of whether the vehicle was "at home" or not).

Anyone who could not or would not acquire and/or provide a private
parking (garage) space at their address could not keep a motor vehicle
there. End of story. And they would have to provide as much space as was
necessary for all the vehicles registered there - or reduce their
number, perhaps to zero.

Of course, since the system, like most administrative law, would have to
largely operate on trust, the penalty for breaching that trust (eg,
false declarations of address, etc) would have to be severe, up to and
including confiscation of the vehicle(s) and disqualification from
driving, as well as the more usual penalties for deception, for anyone
making, or being an accessory to the making of, a false declaration for
the purpose of circumventing the law.
Old September 15th 19, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 15/09/2019 00:39, Simon Jester wrote:

We have a great road network, unfortunately it is infested with cars.

I suggest we stop issuing any more driving licences. New drivers can
put their name on a waiting list until a current licence holder dies
or surrenders their licence for medical reasons or gets disqualified
for criminal activity such as speeding.

That would help to reduce the number of immigrants, but it would have an
adverse effect in that many more unlicenced, untrained and uninsured
drivers would be on the roads, rather like cyclists in fact, and of
course there would be many more hit and runs, so the death toll would go
up. So maybe not such a good plan.
Old September 15th 19, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 6:46:53 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
On 15/09/2019 00:39, Simon Jester wrote:

We have a great road network, unfortunately it is infested with cars.

I suggest we stop issuing any more driving licences. New drivers can
put their name on a waiting list until a current licence holder dies
or surrenders their licence for medical reasons or gets disqualified
for criminal activity such as speeding.

That would help to reduce the number of immigrants, but it would have an
adverse effect in that many more unlicenced, untrained and uninsured
drivers would be on the roads, rather like cyclists in fact, and of
course there would be many more hit and runs, so the death toll would go
up. So maybe not such a good plan.

So, using your 'logic' the tax payers should provide free driving licences and insurance to anyone who asks. That way there would be no unlicensed or uninsured drivers. Also if we removed all border controls there would be no illegal immigrants.

Old September 15th 19, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 1:59:03 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I like this idea in theory. The practical needs thinking about.
Old September 16th 19, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/09/2019 20:09, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Let me slightly re-word the first two sentences of my third paragraph:

"Anyone who could not or would not acquire and/or provide AND USE a
private parking (garage) space at OR NEAR their address could not keep a
motor vehicle there. End of story."

The important result would be no domestic garaging on the highway and an
end to concepts such as "residents-only parking". And a market might
develop in the renting out of defensible off-street parking in
residential areas where such things were either non-existent or
inadequate in number - garages in blocks, etc.
Old September 16th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 1:39:41 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll go along with that.
Old September 16th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqS9tS3MpvM

Entitled Liverpool resident thinks he owns the public road.

Old September 16th 19, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

You are and always will be a ******.

Old September 16th 19, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 6:46:12 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

Is there some point you are failing to make?
Nugent suggested this yet you are not calling him a ******.

Feel free to join the discussion.

How do feel about the apes parking their bicycles outside your Little Dog's circus tent?